34826862_10160437799705414_2280722733341868032_n.jpg

Thor

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Jan 18, 2014
    Could be anywhere
    So....how many people do we all know who go around proclaiming their "white pride" who are not claimed to be racist?[/QUOTE

When I went to basic training in the '70's I had darker than me folks calling me a dumb German, if I had claimed pride in my heritage or called them unacceptable names I would have been called a racist. This is not a new distinction.

Also...I'm gluten free.

jamil

code ho
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jul 17, 2011
    Gtown-ish

To be proud of one’s race is I think racist. Period. Doesn’t matter which race. To be proud of immutable characteristics is vain. To be proud of one’s culture, however isn’t racist, if it’s purely about culture. But that doesn’t mean that being proud of your culture is particularly good either, it’s just not racism.

I don’t really think “black pride” is the same as “white pride”. Black pride has a lot more to do with culture than white pride does. There’s no such thing as “white culture”. It’s more like “white cultures”. And as I said, cultural pride is not necessarily good. It’s just not racism. But I’d like the minority cultures to admit that the extent to which the pride is spent on their race, it is racism.

But “gay pride”, that’s just as ****ing silly as “straight pride” sounds. If gayness or straightness is immutable, being proud of it isn’t any better than being proud of your race.

Kutnupe14

Troll Emeritus
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jan 13, 2011
    To be proud of one’s race is I think racist. Period. Doesn’t matter which race. To be proud of immutable characteristics is vain. To be proud of one’s culture, however isn’t racist, if it’s purely about culture. But that doesn’t mean that being proud of your culture is particularly good either, it’s just not racism.

I don’t really think “black pride” is the same as “white pride”. Black pride has a lot more to do with culture than white pride does. There’s no such thing as “white culture”. It’s more like “white cultures”. And as I said, cultural pride is not necessarily good. It’s just not racism. But I’d like the minority cultures to admit that the extent to which the pride is spent on their race, it is racism.

But “gay pride”, that’s just as ****ing silly as “straight pride” sounds. If gayness or straightness is immutable, being proud of it isn’t any better than being proud of your race.

To steal a word from you, that's BullGLOCK. The whole "pride" idea is used by minority groups to say "it's ok to be XYZ." ...similarly to the "Black is beautiful" idea. It's not to say that they are better than anyone else, but to say you are as equally good as anyone else. You're a smart guy, surely you understand that, in America historically, being black was seen as a negative for a very long time; not smart enough, not attractive enough, etc etc. Majority groups don't have that issue, because their particular societies frame the world through their eyes.

Spear Dane

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    3   0   0
    Sep 4, 2015
    Kokomo area
    So, where does pride start going off the rails? If I am a proud Texan (which I am) is that inherently racist or otherwise butthurt worthy towards Mexicans? When do I get to be proud of who I am without a pejorative label being hung on me?

hqdefault.jpg
    FFL-AP-F-G2-2.jpg
    texas_pride_guarantee.png

jamil

code ho
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jul 17, 2011
    Gtown-ish
    To steal a word from you, that's BullGLOCK. The whole "pride" idea is used by minority groups to say "it's ok to be XYZ." ...similarly to the "Black is beautiful" idea. It's not to say that they are better than anyone else, but to say you are as equally good as anyone else. You're a smart guy, surely you understand that, in America historically, being black was seen as a negative for a very long time; not smart enough, not attractive enough, etc etc. Majority groups don't have that issue, because their particular societies frame the world through their eyes.

Sure. I get that. But don’t you think there is at least a little of what I said going on? Does “black pride” not contribute in any way to blacks preventing themselves from integrating with whites? Is Larry Elder a person who thinks it’s NOT okay to be black? Or is he a black person who happens to think race doesn’t matter, therefore it is okay to be the skin color you are.

If it’s just about saying it’s okay, why is it called “pride”? Why isn’t the slogan “it’s okay to be black”? If there’s no elements of division, why not say it’s as okay to have black skin as it is white? Real equality requires racial insignificance, neutrality. Do you want equality; racial insignificance? Or do you want to flip the dominance? Michael Dyson made clear where the black academy is on that. And that is not going to produce the environment required for racial neutrality. You can’t be dominant and neutral.

If it’s okay to say “it’s okay to be black” and that’s not racist, it’s also okay for those white students discriminated against because they’re white, to say, “it’s okay to be white”. Right? By extension, if those students held plackards that said “white pride” what would you think then?

To blacks it seems okay to say it for them, because of the history. But whites tend to hear it the same way blacks hear “white pride”. Neither gets us to race not mattering. It doesn’t get us to racial insignificance.

Kutnupe14

Troll Emeritus
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jan 13, 2011
    Sure. I get that. But don’t you think there is at least a little of what I said going on? Does “black pride” not contribute in any way to blacks preventing themselves from integrating with whites? Is Larry Elder a person who thinks it’s NOT okay to be black? Or is he a black person who happens to think race doesn’t matter, therefore it is okay to be the skin color you are.

If it’s just about saying it’s okay, why is it called “pride”? Why isn’t the slogan “it’s okay to be black”? If there’s no elements of division, why not say it’s as okay to have black skin as it is white? Real equality requires racial insignificance, neutrality. Do you want equality; racial insignificance? Or do you want to flip the dominance? Michael Dyson made clear where the black academy is on that. And that is not going to produce the environment required for racial neutrality. You can’t be dominant and neutral.

If it’s okay to say “it’s okay to be black” and that’s not racist, it’s also okay for those white students discriminated against because they’re white, to say, “it’s okay to be white”. Right? By extension, if those students held plackards that said “white pride” what would you think then?

To blacks it seems okay to say it for them, because of the history. But whites tend to hear it the same way blacks hear “white pride”. Neither gets us to race not mattering. It doesn’t get us to racial insignificance.

Oh totally. I just passed along the original notion, not the wisdom in the choice of words.
    Also, there's no comparison to those who use White Pride. "White Pride" was already co-oped by racists. So that stigma is always going to follow it, and the people that uses it are well aware of that fact.
    2v7x7cw.jpg

Last edited:

jamil

code ho
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jul 17, 2011
    Gtown-ish
    So, where does pride start going off the rails? If I am a proud Texan (which I am) is that inherently racist or otherwise butthurt worthy towards Mexicans? When do I get to be proud of who I am without a pejorative label being hung on me?

hqdefault.jpg
    FFL-AP-F-G2-2.jpg
    texas_pride_guarantee.png

There’s something about being proud of immutable characteristics which is at least vain. Heritage itself is immutable, but it’s not really the state you’re from that’s the central point of the pride. It’s more like a community bond. Something like patriotism. And that’s not really immutable in the way that physical characteristics are. So that’s one thing.

Another is what do you do with that pride? Does it tend to prevent healthy relationships with others? Does it tend to oppress others?

So where I would say pride in identity goes off the rails is when it’s in immutable characteristics, and/or it is at the expense of others.

Waving a confederate flag around isn’t off the rails until it’s accompanied by those other things, for example. I’d say “black pride” insofar as it’s cultural, or to Kut’s point, in defense of one’s immutable characteristics. And that can and has gone too far too.

jamil

code ho
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jul 17, 2011
    Gtown-ish
    Oh totally. I just passed along the original notion, not the wisdom in the choice of words.
    Also, there's no comparison to those who use White Pride. "White Pride" was already co-oped by racists. So that stigma is always going to follow it, and the people that uses it are well aware of that fact.

I’m aware of the stigma. I’m speaking in terms of thought exercises outside of that. But also saying what “black pride” has morphed into beyond its original intent.

Status
    Not open for further replies.
    Top Bottom