• ...and so much more!
  • Status
    Not open for further replies.

T.Lex

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    15   0   0
    Mar 30, 2011
    I believe Cruz has 3: Texas, Kansas, and Idaho.

I don't think that's correct.
    GOPe Rule 40(b) said:
    ...majority of the delegates from each of eight (8) or more states, severally, prior to the presentation of the name of that candidate for nomination

Cruz also has a majority of delegates from: ME (12, Trump: 9, Kasich: 2); WY (9, Trump:1, Rubio:1), and I'm not sure how to count Guam. If Rubio can "assign" his from AK and OK, it gives Cruz the majority in those states, too.

ETA:
    Rule 1(b) - Guam counts. So, I think Cruz won that for purposes of the convention, too.

T.Lex

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    15   0   0
    Mar 30, 2011
    So I was wondering what happens if we arrive in Cleveland and 40(b) would exclude Cruz and/or Kasich? What I believe is 'the party' would just make an 'emergency' rule change to clear that hurdle. I am not aware of any rules or bylaws that would prevent them from doing so, unless something requires them to limit rule changes to the next election cycle and precludes retroactive changes
    I believe part of the process is to modify/ratify/amend the rules just prior to the convention anyway. No "emergency" need be called.

ETA:
    GOPe Rule 10(a)(1) said:
    The Standing Committee on Rules shall first consider all rule amendments submitted by any member of the committee at least fourteen (14) days before any regularly called meeting of the Republican National Committee or at least three (3) days before a specially called meeting to be considered by the Standing Committee on Rules.

I think the convention is a regular meeting for the RNC.

ETA2:
    Also looks like, similar to many legislatures, there is allowance for a Motion to Suspend the Rules that would allow the convention to depart from rules, if enough delegates voted to do so.

Last edited:

chipbennett

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Oct 18, 2014
    Avon
    I don't think that's correct.

Cruz also has a majority of delegates from: ME (12, Trump: 9, Kasich: 2); WY (9, Trump:1, Rubio:1), and I'm not sure how to count Guam. If Rubio can "assign" his from AK and OK, it gives Cruz the majority in those states, too.

ETA:
    Rule 1(b) - Guam counts. So, I think Cruz won that for purposes of the convention, too.

You are correct. I'm not sure how I missed/forgot those.

So Cruz has 6.

chipbennett

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Oct 18, 2014
    Avon

The absentees could impact the margin, but not likely the outcome.

Having run a polling place in Missouri for many years, I find it highly doubtful that a recount would change any overall results. The vast majority of ballots are electronic/touchscreen, and the rest are ScanTron paper ballots. There is little to count incorrectly.

And in all my years running a polling place, I never saw a valid provisional ballot.

Tombs

Grandmaster
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jan 13, 2011
    Martinsville
    I like how the word terrorism has zero meaning anymore.

Pretty applicable when you use the dictionary:

ter·ror·ism
    ˈterəˌrizəm/
    noun
    [COLOR=#878787 !important]

• the use of violence and intimidation in the pursuit of political aims.

[/COLOR]

Trump warns of riots if the nomination is contested. Of course he wouldn't be leading them, but they'd have yuuuge trouble if things don't go his way.

https://news.vice.com/article/donald-trump-riot-contested-convention

Well of course there will be issues if the GOPe tries to take away the majority pick for president, especially when he's brought in millions of new voters.

That's some very overt invisible hand stuff going on and people should be very much against that.

The big difference here is that the people protesting Trump are trying to shut down democratic elections through brute force to ensure a democrat wins.

Last edited:
    Rating - 100%
    15   0   0
    Aug 14, 2009
    Salem
    And I'll be the first to say that the voice of the people (in the party) should determine who the nominee is. No shenanigans , legal sophistry, or any other BS. I'm not a fan of open primaries. And my opposition to Trump is well documented here. But if he wins the majority of the delegates, he should be the nominee. And if guys like me don't like it - we don't _have_ to be Republicans. That simple. The whole "superdelegate" thing is horse manure wrapped in elitism.

Tombs

Grandmaster
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jan 13, 2011
    Martinsville
    And I'll be the first to say that the voice of the people (in the party) should determine who the nominee is. No shenanigans , legal sophistry, or any other BS. I'm not a fan of open primaries. And my opposition to Trump is well documented here. But if he wins the majority of the delegates, he should be the nominee. And if guys like me don't like it - we don't _have_ to be Republicans. That simple. The whole "superdelegate" thing is horse manure wrapped in elitism.

At least the republican system is far less rigged than the democrat's.

Hillary almost holding enough delegates from the beginning of the election to win nomination is a completely affront to democracy.

chipbennett

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Oct 18, 2014
    Avon
    Status
    Not open for further replies.
    Top Bottom