• ...and so much more!
  • Status
    Not open for further replies.

T.Lex

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    15   0   0
    Mar 30, 2011
    Suppose we arrive at the convention with no one having 1237 delegates or more, but only one candidate satisfies 40(b). Could not a case be made that the candidate able to satisfy the other strictures in place should be the nominee?

Unless they change 40(b), I believe both Trump and Cruz qualify. Everyplace I look shows Cruz with either 7 or 8, and I think he'll take at least 1 more (probably Utah). There's a small chance Kasich could get there, but I doubt it.

But, to answer your question, that would be a compelling argument that Trump would make (early and often) that he deserved the nomination.

BugI02

Grandmaster
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jul 4, 2013
    Columbus, OH
    Fox News source confirms March 21 GOP Debate cancelled, following Trump decision to back out.

I'm speculating that they'll cover an hour-long Trump speech instead.

How can you 'back out' of something you never agreed to in the first place. Begging the question

jamil

code ho
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jul 17, 2011
    Gtown-ish
    Unless they change 40(b), I believe both Trump and Cruz qualify. Everyplace I look shows Cruz with either 7 or 8, and I think he'll take at least 1 more (probably Utah). There's a small chance Kasich could get there, but I doubt it.

But, to answer your question, that would be a compelling argument that Trump would make (early and often) that he deserved the nomination.

The rule says "majority of the delegates" from 8 states. Has Cruz done that? He didn't win a majority of delegates in all the states he's won. Just wondering if you know off hand so I don't have to look it up.

BugI02

Grandmaster
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jul 4, 2013
    Columbus, OH

I have Cruz's count currently at 7. It's unlikely he wont get the eighth but makes for interesting speculation. The peripheral rules could become 'tiebreakers'

T.Lex

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    15   0   0
    Mar 30, 2011
    Uh, I think they mean all of them. Good luck with that

Not-Trump doesn't need all of them. If you go back to my list (am I on everyone's ignore list now?) Not-Trump needs to win 4 or 5 of the 8 (or win elsewhere) to deny Trump the majority he needs. The list in GPIA7hunrhusnh's link is different, because it uses different assumptions. They are probably picking the ones they think Not-Trump will win.

BugI02

Grandmaster
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jul 4, 2013
    Columbus, OH
    The rule says "majority of the delegates" from 8 states. Has Cruz done that? He didn't win a majority of delegates in all the states he's won. Just wondering if you know off hand so I don't have to look it up.

"Majority of delegates in at least eight states prior to the start of the convention" (so no horse trading unless you get it done early)

BugI02

Grandmaster
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jul 4, 2013
    Columbus, OH
    Not-Trump doesn't need all of them. If you go back to my list (am I on everyone's ignore list now?) Not-Trump needs to win 4 or 5 of the 8 (or win elsewhere) to deny Trump the majority he needs. The list in GPIA7hunrhusnh's link is different, because it uses different assumptions. They are probably picking the ones they think Not-Trump will win.

Understood. Thxs

ArcadiaGP

Wanderer
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    11   0   0
    Jun 15, 2009
    Indianapolis
    Always liked Stephen Miller.

Donald Trump Opposes Free Speech, like PC Left

CdsLCmoVAAAtldE.jpg:large

T.Lex

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    15   0   0
    Mar 30, 2011

So, this is a decent resource:
    2016 Delegate Count Tracker: 2016 Election - POLITICO

The "down arrow" at the far right of each candidate brings up more info. They have Cruz winning (getting more delegates than Trump) in: IA, AK, OK, TX, KS, ME, ID, GU, and WY. It has Cruz and Trump tying for LA.

BugI02

Grandmaster
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jul 4, 2013
    Columbus, OH
    So, this is a decent resource:
    2016 Delegate Count Tracker: 2016 Election - POLITICO

The "down arrow" at the far right of each candidate brings up more info. They have Cruz winning (getting more delegates than Trump) in: IA, AK, OK, TX, KS, ME, ID, GU, and WY. It has Cruz and Trump tying for LA.

But when the rule was changed from 5 to 8 (because Rand Paul) the language was specifically changed from plurality to majority. Just beating Trump wont cut it. The obverse is also true

T.Lex

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    15   0   0
    Mar 30, 2011
    But when the rule was changed from 5 to 8 (because Rand Paul) the language was specifically changed from plurality to majority. Just beating Trump wont cut it. The obverse is also true

In looking at the numbers quickly, I believe Cruz's totals in those states (and territory) represent majorities of delegates (which a candidate can win with a plurality of the vote). Not that it really matters on a go-foward basis because most of the states up for grabs are either winner-take-all or winner-take-most. Not Trump will have to actually win some combination of those states to deny them to Trump.

chipbennett

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Oct 18, 2014
    Avon

I believe Cruz has 3: Texas, Kansas, and Idaho.

BugI02

Grandmaster
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jul 4, 2013
    Columbus, OH
    So I was wondering what happens if we arrive in Cleveland and 40(b) would exclude Cruz and/or Kasich? What I believe is 'the party' would just make an 'emergency' rule change to clear that hurdle. I am not aware of any rules or bylaws that would prevent them from doing so, unless something requires them to limit rule changes to the next election cycle and precludes retroactive changes

Status
    Not open for further replies.
    Top Bottom