Not open for further replies.

Thor

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Jan 18, 2014
    Could be anywhere
    History doesn't actually repeat itself but it does tend to carry the same rhythm as if the current era is playing a different stanza in the same concerto of human experience.

As Herald Deutsch stated in his paper "The Rise of the Military Opposition in the Nazi Reich"

"On Nazism as such the officer corps in the first instance split horizontally. The subalterns, especially among the troop officers, were decoyed by its unmistakable national dynamic and its capacity for mobilizing the spiritual and material energies of the masses. They were too naïve politically to comprehend the muddle-headedness and contradictions of the Nazi ideology. SO it was easy to find satisfaction in those watchwords and slogans that happened to reflect their own dreams and prejudices.

Staff and General Officers were less vulnerable. They were deeply grounded in aristocratic and conservative traditions; their cast sprang instinctively to arms against the vulgarians who manned even the top echelons of the party. They were repelled by their crudity, the disrespect for established law and good form, and indiscriminate brutality."

Both sides of the current political conflict are playing the same tune as the paramilitary politics of the Weimar Republic...or Rome, or Greece. Have fun saying how much smarter you will be than the rest of history.

• February 1, 2016: (Cedar Rapids, Iowa) After an earlier event when a protester attempted to throw a tomato at Donald Trump, he tells rally attendees: "If you see somebody getting ready to throw a tomato, knock the crap out of them, would you? Seriously." And, in typical Trump fashion, he promised to pay for any legal fees arising from such an assault. ([url]http://mashable.com/2016/02/01/donald-trump-tomato-iowa/#CTFhUz85ZSqK)[/URL]

BugI02

Grandmaster
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jul 4, 2013
    Columbus, OH
    You mean the hypocrisy of Mr I'mNotPC and I don't need to step on eggshells when criticizing anyone surrounding himself with a minefield of eggshell of 'how dare you challenge me or question anything I say' or I can call you names, insult your gender/looks/heritage and threaten to sue? You mean that hypocrisy?

Or should I look for the :tinfoil: links now about why everyone else is unacceptable?

If this is a question for me, personally; I have not asserted that everyone else is unacceptable. I have merely chosen the candidate I like the best at this moment.

An example of what I see as hypocrisy is Cruz positioning himself as an outsider, someone who will buck the system, and then carrying the GOPe's water when he thinks there is an advantage in it for him. Trump isn't running as an angel, he's running as Trump. When he does cringe-worthy things it's not hypocrisy - he isn't pretending to be something he's not. But when a candidate is running as Gabriel-in-the-flesh and shows himself to be dross, that is hypocrisy

ETA: "This is quite stunning even for a politician as low as Ted Cruz. Senator Cruz has a prime opportunity to highlight the intolerance of the left. Instead he chose to attack Donald Trump"

http://theconservativetreehouse.com...onsible-for-organized-chicago-violence-video/

I'm reading that it was only a matter of minutes after the rally was canceled before Cruz was on camera blaming Trump. Almost like he knew something might happen

Last edited:

BugI02

Grandmaster
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jul 4, 2013
    Columbus, OH
    haha

Thanks.

Yeah, well, if it comes to that, I honestly don't know what I will do. Until Trump gets the nomination, I will do what I can to prevent it.

And, when you put it in terms of "most dangerous choice" - it gets REALLY hard for me to balance out the answer. The danger will come from different angles with either one of them. On top of that, there's the devil-you-know v. the devil-you-don't.

It may not always seem that way, but I get the concerns of you and some others. I don't see Trump as a scheming fascist exercizing a Bondian convoluted plan to create the fourth reich. I do see him as a loose cannon, perhaps horribly impulsive and unrestrained. But I'm still willing to go there over another round of bidness as usual. I'm all in

BugI02

Grandmaster
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jul 4, 2013
    Columbus, OH
    As much as I despise the primary system: don't the parties have the right to determine the method that the party uses to nominate their own candidates?

Are we not 'the party' in microcosm. Jamil correctly points out what he sees as a shortcoming of the current system and I proffer a possible adjustment. As far as what the party determines, reread the last sentence of the referenced post

Thor

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Jan 18, 2014
    Could be anywhere
    If this is a question for me, personally; - NO
    ETA: "This is quite stunning even for a politician as low as Ted Cruz. Senator Cruz has a prime opportunity to highlight the intolerance of the left. Instead he chose to attack Donald Trump" - no hyperbole there...:rolleyes:

I'm reading that it was only a matter of minutes after the rally was canceled before Cruz was on camera blaming Trump. Almost like he knew something might happen
    :tinfoil::dunno:

It's almost like this interwebz thing was fasty and folks could comment right away...almost like that...

Tombs

Grandmaster
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jan 13, 2011
    Martinsville
    Trump wondered why his name wasn't on some ballots in Florida.

Because it's a closed primary.

Trump hints at vote fraud in Florida (but there's a simpler explanation) twitchy.com

Really?

That's why?

AcAKn4R.png

zY0zybN.jpg

jamil

code ho
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jul 17, 2011
    Gtown-ish
    As much as I despise the primary system: don't the parties have the right to determine the method that the party uses to nominate their own candidates?

Sure. But this process requires *a* nominee for each party. The current election is a great example of the goat **** electoral system we have. Donald Trump and Hillary Clinton are both the worst liked candidates in the race and they're both going to win their perspective nominations. Now, maybe you may like that Trump is going to win the nomination this way. But it is an artifact of an disproportionate, unrepresentative system that he will win. Given his unfavorability ratings he should not win. But he will.

A solution to many of the problems we have is dumping our current system and adopting ranked-order voting. Voters rank the candidates by preference top to bottom. The rankings are scored and the candidate with the highest cumulative score wins. It would eliminate the two-party hold on the process. People complain that a vote for x is a vote for y. This will eliminate having to vote against a candidate. I hate that other states have already eliminated MY choice. Ranked voting eliminates that. I could vote for who I want. I could vote for second choice backup. And third, and fourth...

printcraft

INGO Clown
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    16   0   0
    Feb 14, 2008
    Uranus

T.Lex

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    15   0   0
    Mar 30, 2011
    There are a multitude of legitimate reasons I can think of why Trump wouldn't be on the ballot. "Closed primary" in this context is not one of them.

MisterChester

Master
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    May 25, 2013
    The Compound
    Sure. But this process requires *a* nominee for each party. The current election is a great example of the goat **** electoral system we have. Donald Trump and Hillary Clinton are both the worst liked candidates in the race and they're both going to win their perspective nominations. Now, maybe you may like that Trump is going to win the nomination this way. But it is an artifact of an disproportionate, unrepresentative system that he will win. Given his unfavorability ratings he should not win. But he will.

A solution to many of the problems we have is dumping our current system and adopting ranked-order voting. Voters rank the candidates by preference top to bottom. The rankings are scored and the candidate with the highest cumulative score wins. It would eliminate the two-party hold on the process. People complain that a vote for x is a vote for y. This will eliminate having to vote against a candidate. I hate that other states have already eliminated MY choice. Ranked voting eliminates that. I could vote for who I want. I could vote for second choice backup. And third, and fourth...

Sounds a lot like the alternative voting system.

[video=youtube_share;3Y3jE3B8HsE]http://youtu.be/3Y3jE3B8HsE[/video]

jamil

code ho
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jul 17, 2011
    Gtown-ish
    Sounds a lot like the alternative voting system.

Alternative vote/instant runoff is much more representative than first past the post. One advantage it has over ranked-order voting is that you don't have to rank all the candidates like you do with ranked order voting. But instant runoff is more complicated to score and lacks the transitivity that ranked-order voting has.

Status
    Not open for further replies.
    Top Bottom