• Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • thompal

Master
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Sep 27, 2008
    Beech Grove
    I actually have an EV, a Ford Mach-E extended range premium. If you have any real-world questions, ask away.

I didn't buy it to save the planet (sorry). I purchased it because I thought the tech was neat, and the performance was really good. It is 100% a commuter vehicle for me, and it does that really well.

I plug in at home and rarely use DC (fast) charging. I get 315 miles of range consistently. It

What's the range if it's brutally cold out, and you're using heat, defroster, wipers, headlights, etc? Or air conditioning?

DoggyDaddy

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    73   0   1
    Aug 18, 2011
    Southside Indy
    Can you imagine what it will be like when they start using electric cars at the 500 after they get batteries that will last that long? Sit and watch a bunch of silent cars go by? I don't see that going over very well.
    I remember when the turbine cars were running (briefly). Compared to the regular engines, those things sounded like a vacuum cleaner going by.

Leadeye

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Jan 19, 2009
    My guess is that the future of electric cars will follow the politics and demographics of the hipster crowd. Some chinese company will produce a low cost car and only lease it and there will be little differences or maybe none in the cars other than color. You turn it back in after a certain amount of time, sign a new lease and drive out with the same thing. The dealership will strip off all usable parts which will all interchange and ship the car "core" with the batteries inside to a recycle division specifically set up for those cars.

All they will need will be a politically correct figurehead CEO here in the states and the government will probably pay them to make the cars.

Don't keep up with lease payments and they will brick your car from sattelite and send the repo man, a black mark on your social credit score.

Satellite will also track your movements and speed, another black mark for those with lead feet and the travel info will be sold to info brokers.

The thrill of driving will be a memory like the Red Barchetta.

Last edited:

jake blue

Shooter
    Rating - 100%
    5   0   0
    Sep 9, 2013
    Lebanon
    When I step on the gas though I really want to feel the torque and hear the thunder. A whirring noise just would not be the same.View attachment 199797
    The torque will be there but as for the thunder no doubt they'll pull the same trick Ford did with the V-6 mustangs and play a soundtrack through the front speakers to make the driver think they're sitting behind more horses than they actually are!

indyblue

Guns & Pool Shooter
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Aug 13, 2013
    Indy Northside `O=o-
    My guess is that the future of electric cars will follow the politics and demographics of the hipster crowd. Some chinese company will produce a low cost car and only lease it and there will be little differences or maybe none in the cars other than color. You turn it back in after a certain amount of time, sign a new lease and drive out with the same thing.
    The dealership will strip off all usable parts which will all interchange and ship the car "core" with the batteries inside to a recycle division specifically set up for those cars.
    The Soylent Green of automobiles! They'll be made of 100% recyclable materials, ground up and re-manufactured then resold.
    All they will need will be a politically correct figurehead CEO here in the states and the government will probably pay them to make the cars.

Don't keep up with lease payments and they will brick your car from sattelite and send the repo man, a black mark on your social credit score.

Satellite will also track your movements and speed, another black mark for those with lead feet and the travel info will be sold to info brokers.
    Welcome our new overlords and dystopian future. We will own nothing, we will only be able to pay for a subscription to continue to use things. It's already here, many Tesla and Audi features are now subscription based, you can't permanently buy some of them and must pay periodically to keep them activated.
    The thrill of driving will be a memory like the Red Barchetta.
    Perfect Rush reference.

A brilliant red Barchetta, from a better, vanished time

GodFearinGunTotin

Super Moderator
    Staff member
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Mar 22, 2011
    Mitchell
    MISO is mentioned in this article as being one the operators concerned about capacity. That’s Indiana, folks (We’re in MISO). I’m sure everything will be fine though.

KLB

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    5   0   0
    Sep 12, 2011
    Porter County
    The torque will be there but as for the thunder no doubt they'll pull the same trick Ford did with the V-6 mustangs and play a soundtrack through the front speakers to make the driver think they're sitting behind more horses than they actually are!
    A lot of cars do that today. My VW Golf R is one. Little Turbo 2L 4. They aren't trying to hide the lack of HP, it has just under 300. They just don't put loud exhausts on them. Instead they pipe the fake sound into the car.

Mounty09

Expert
    Rating - 100%
    18   0   0
    Dec 12, 2010
    Noblesville
    What's the range if it's brutally cold out, and you're using heat, defroster, wipers, headlights, etc? Or air conditioning?
    My local Ford dealer let me have a Mach-E for a weekend in February a year or two ago. It was a premium AWD extended range package car that was advertised at 300 mile range. With 96% battery charge it estimated 150 mile range. We were pretty disappointed. Now this could have been because it was a demo vehicle and it looks at previous driving style which I'm sure consisted of most people checking the performance. We didn't feel comfortable making the 150 mile round trip to the super bowl party we were planning on driving it too and chose to drive my truck.

It was very cool though. I would have one as a commuter vehicle but I would have to keep my truck for truck things and travel.

Ingomike

Top Hand
    Rating - 100%
    6   0   0
    May 26, 2018
    North Central
    MISO is mentioned in this article as being one the operators concerned about capacity. That’s Indiana, folks (We’re in MISO). I’m sure everything will be fine though.

They are about a third of the country too…

Ingomike

Top Hand
    Rating - 100%
    6   0   0
    May 26, 2018
    North Central
    I wonder where the sheeple believe we will get power for their magic cars? Had dinner with a exec from the nuke industry and he was telling me the feds have made it wildly profitable to buy a perfectly functioning nuke and decommission it.

IndyIN

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 98.3%
    58   1   0
    Nov 8, 2010
    Texas
    I don't live where it is brutally cold, so I can not really tell you how that affects my range, but colt will affect it. Wipers, headlights and other electronics do not impact range much. The heater will, but heated seats and steering wheel do not have much of an impact.

IndyIN

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 98.3%
    58   1   0
    Nov 8, 2010
    Texas

I'd say do some research on electric motor torque. :cool:

IndyIN

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 98.3%
    58   1   0
    Nov 8, 2010
    Texas
    My local Ford dealer let me have a Mach-E for a weekend in February a year or two ago. It was a premium AWD extended range package car that was advertised at 300 mile range. With 96% battery charge it estimated 150 mile range. We were pretty disappointed. Now this could have been because it was a demo vehicle and it looks at previous driving style which I'm sure consisted of most people checking the performance. We didn't feel comfortable making the 150 mile round trip to the super bowl party we were planning on driving it too and chose to drive my truck.

It was very cool though. I would have one as a commuter vehicle but I would have to keep my truck for truck things and travel.

It certainly could be because everyone drove it like crazy on test drives, and it was estimating low. I can tell you the premium AWD extended range is not advertised as 300-mile range, though. I think they advertise 270 at 100% charge.

KLB

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    5   0   0
    Sep 12, 2011
    Porter County
    Can you imagine what it will be like when they start using electric cars at the 500 after they get batteries that will last that long? Sit and watch a bunch of silent cars go by? I don't see that going over very well.
    People sit and watch people play video games today. I can see them being OK with electric cars at some point, or some other kind of fuel.

Destro

Master
    Rating - 100%
    5   0   0
    Mar 10, 2011
    The Khyber Pass
    They already have all electric race cars, Formula E.

They aren't silent.

Top Bottom