mom45

Momerator
    Staff member
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Nov 10, 2013
    NW of Sunshine
    We used to have a hobbyist status. Not sure what happened with that. Lines might have been hard to set.

What you are asking would require 3 or 4 times the effort by the Mods to police. Tougher than you might think.

I understand that. I don't spend much time in the classifieds, but I can certainly understand how much time it would take to monitor just that section. It seems like a fair amount of time is already spent monitoring those making a run to post there.

bulletsmith

Master
    Rating - 100%
    11   0   0
    Apr 26, 2015
    Lake County
    Honestly, I don't think the 50 rule is bad. I also think that when your WTS posts are a major part of, or exceed your normal activity, you are in fact a dealer. At least from the perspective of this site. Therefore, if you want to use this site as a place to sell your wares, fine. Call yourself a dealer and become a site supporter. Sell away.

AngryRooster

Master
    Rating - 100%
    18   0   0
    Apr 27, 2008
    Outside the coup
    Honestly, I don't think the 50 rule is bad. I also think that when your WTS posts are a major part of, or exceed your normal activity, you are in fact a dealer. At least from the perspective of this site. Therefore, if you want to use this site as a place to sell your wares, fine. Call yourself a dealer and become a site supporter. Sell away.

The way some use the classifieds goes WAY past the standard site supporter status and into vendor status. CM mentioned the vendor status is roughly $2 a day. Quite a bit more than the $20 a year. There are reputable vendors such as Alan at A&A Optics, Bobcat Steel, Buckshot, Brads Knives, Knife Lady, Diamond Collision, etc. that have ponied up the money to run their business here. Look at the post areas in any of those profiles then check out the post areas of the usual suspects that have a dozen things listed every day that don't have the vendor status. You will see a few distinct things. Those who have taken the time and money to become a vendor are invested in the site. They contribute in other ways besides monetary, they enter discussions, give advice and share their opinions and knowledge. The ones that have multiple ads usually live in the classifieds. Some may have a $20 site supporter status, others don't. Outside of maybe having something someone is looking for they do not offer anything of value to the site other than a fleecing. I will not deal with these members regardless of how much I may like/want the item or the price.

Our classified rules here are very lax compared to some sites. I've listed some rules for the major casting forum elsewhere in this thread. It's not my house, or my rules, and I have no say so in anything done here. I'm just speaking as someone who uses the 'unread posts' link at the top a lot and has to sort through all the ads to view new topics. It gets very old having to do this.

Personally I agree with the 200 posts AND 6 months membership to participate. I also wouldn't object to a tiered system with monthly caps. X amount for non site supporters per month, X amount for supporters who pay the minimum in dues, X amount for the next step up, unlimited per month for vendors. I don't know if the forum software would support that though. It would be a complete PITA and unworkable if it had to be done manually. Considering this is supposed to be a firearm forum/community that happens to have a classified section as a perk it makes sense to me.

Cameramonkey

www.thechosen.tv
    Staff member
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    35   0   0
    May 12, 2013
    Camby area

It probably would not hurt to set some. Maybe only so many ads in a row?? Or in a time frame??

:runaway:

Unfortunately even if Fenway wanted to, he is limited by the logic built into the software. I could be wrong but I doubt this kind of intricate logic is built into the code. But I would love to see it implemented... Some kind of ratio of regular posts vs ads. (but it would indeed put more load on the mods as we would see a whole new string of one liners so these guys could post another overpriced box of ammo/gun.)

AngryRooster

Master
    Rating - 100%
    18   0   0
    Apr 27, 2008
    Outside the coup
    I just looked at the rules on "the other" forum. I believe they are on the same forum software, at least it appears so. They specify a tiered system but I don't know if it's automated or manual.

2 concurrent per user.
    10 concurrent per site supporter.
    25 concurrent per forum sponsor (vendor).
    Software is vBulletin 4.2.2

Major casting forum:
    Max of 3 ads may be listed/open per month.
    Current ads must be completed and closed before the new ads next month.
    Max of 5 items per ad.
    Casting related items only.
    Many other rules.
    Does not apply to vendors sponsors. $100 per year and must be vetted and approved.
    Software is vBulletin 4.2.2

1911ly

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    6   0   0
    Dec 11, 2011
    South Bend
    We used to have a hobbyist status. Not sure what happened with that. Lines might have been hard to set.

What you are asking would require 3 or 4 times the effort by the Mods to police. Tougher than you might think.

I'd volunteer just to police the ads section. NP. I got all day & most of the night free.

pudly

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    35   0   0
    Nov 12, 2008
    Undisclosed
    He's PMing. Haven't seen what he's shopping for.

Identifying a Runner 101: Click on "New Posts" and see the following:

cgNectD.png

Last edited:

BugI02

Grandmaster
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jul 4, 2013
    Columbus, OH
    Maybe the mods and Fenway need to discuss the possibility of changing the levels of support for using the classifieds. Site supporter could be a level used for people selling at a level below what would be required for FFL licensing or what would be typical for an average gun owner. There are some members here who buy, sell and/or trade fairly often so maybe they could offer insight as to what they consider an acceptable number for the average gun owner.

Those using the classifieds to sell above the number required to have FFL licensing should maybe be required to move to vendor status to sell.

I'm sure some would get mad and leave, but is it really a loss if they are just using the site? There are sites set up for selling such as gunbroker, and I assume they sell here instead to avoid paying a fee/commission.

Maybe have posts to the classys not automatically counted or counted in the software and deducted from actual postcount when ratio tilts beyond a certain trigger point. Poof, access to classys goes away for abusers.

BugI02

Grandmaster
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jul 4, 2013
    Columbus, OH
    I understand that. I don't spend much time in the classifieds, but I can certainly understand how much time it would take to monitor just that section. It seems like a fair amount of time is already spent monitoring those making a run to post there.

We could create the position of Apprentice Mod Supreme with sole duties to police the classys. Then all we have to do is find someone who wants to be considered for Mod Supreme and put them on the case.

Status
    Not open for further replies.
    Top Bottom