• View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • Timjoebillybob

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Feb 27, 2009
    My dad used to eat that stuff. I don't know what it is, but it has stuff in it that looks like white fish gills. That's enough for me to not want to put it in my mouth. :puke:
    Never saw anything that looked like fish gills in the souse, chunks of meat, fat, and some jelly yes. Gills no.

My grandma loved Lutefisk, I never got up the nerve to try that. My great grandma and grandpa came over from Finland and she had relatives ship it to her on special occasions. Now that stuff is scary. If I ever come across it, I'll have to try it just because.

DoggyDaddy

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    73   0   1
    Aug 18, 2011
    Southside Indy
    Never saw anything that looked like fish gills in the souse, chunks of meat, fat, and some jelly yes. Gills no.

My grandma loved Lutefisk, I never got up the nerve to try that. My great grandma and grandpa came over from Finland and she had relatives ship it to her on special occasions. Now that stuff is scary. If I ever come across it, I'll have to try it just because.
    Again... :puke: Lutefisk is fish that's been cured in lye. Sorry, not eating meat that's been prepared in drain cleaner.

Timjoebillybob

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Feb 27, 2009
    Again... :puke: Lutefisk is fish that's been cured in lye. Sorry, not eating meat that's been prepared in drain cleaner.
    But they soak it several times to get the lye out. For something like a week and a half to two, with water changes daily. Ends up being sorta like a fish jelly. It's supposed to be very mild, just the looks kinda creeped me out. Now surstromming, no way in hell.

DoggyDaddy

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    73   0   1
    Aug 18, 2011
    Southside Indy
    But they soak it several times to get the lye out. For something like a week and a half to two, with water changes daily. Ends up being sorta like a fish jelly. It's supposed to be very mild, just the looks kinda creeped me out. Now surstromming, no way in hell.
    "Fish jelly"... two words that should never be used together. :):

DoggyDaddy

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    73   0   1
    Aug 18, 2011
    Southside Indy
    Eeewww... I just looked up surstromming. "Fermented fish". What is it about northern Europeans wanting to eat spoiled food??

Timjoebillybob

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Feb 27, 2009
    "Fish jelly"... two words that should never be used together. :):
    But it's a firm jelly. :lmfao:
    Eeewww... I just looked up surstromming. "Fermented fish". What is it about northern Europeans wanting to eat spoiled food??
    Look up some of the videos. There are people throwing up just from opening the can. It's supposedly the nastiest smelling food there is.

I've got lutefisk and other Scandavian foods on one side, and Scot (Haggis anyone?) on the other of my Mom's family. All my ethnic foods are based on dares.

DoggyDaddy

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    73   0   1
    Aug 18, 2011
    Southside Indy

Look up some of the videos. There are people throwing up just from opening the can. It's supposedly the nastiest smelling food there is.

I've got lutefisk and other Scandavian foods on one side, and Scot (Haggis anyone?) on the other of my Mom's family. All my ethnic foods are based on dares.
    Mmmm... Now I'm hungry for some fish jelly, fermented herring and limburger cheese on crackers!

jerrob

Master
    Rating - 100%
    17   0   0
    Mar 1, 2013
    Cumberland Plateau
    I watched a yoostoobs video where Finnish folks (IIRC) were air drying a big ass shark carcass in preparation to consume the rotten thing.
    The host was convinced by one of the locals to try it, by the look of it, the host wasn't accustomed to consuming rancid shark meat.

Last edited:

DoggyDaddy

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    73   0   1
    Aug 18, 2011
    Southside Indy
    I watched a yoostoobs video where Finnish folks (IIRC) were air drying a big ass shark carcass in preparation to consume the rotten thing.
    The host was convinced by one of the locals to try it, by the look of it, the host wasn't accustomed to consuming rancid shark meat.
    Dang, trash day is Thursday, but now I'm thinking maybe I should dig through the garbage to see if I'm throwing out some perfectly good rotten food. :n00b:

Jaybird1980

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    5   0   0
    Jan 22, 2016
    North Central

I don't know if you are aware, but you are a terrible salesman. :lmfao:

DoggyDaddy

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    73   0   1
    Aug 18, 2011
    Southside Indy

I realized I hadn't addressed the Haggis issue...

Haggis (Scottish Gaelic: taigeis) is a savoury pudding containing sheep's pluck (heart, liver, and lungs), minced with onion, oatmeal, suet, spices, and salt, mixed with stock, and cooked while traditionally encased in the animal's stomach[1] though now an artificial casing is often used instead.

I'm not sure what's scarier... the animal's stomach, or an artificial "animal's stomach". :nailbite:

smokingman

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Nov 11, 2008
    Indiana

I can confirm it is one of the worst smelling things that someone can even think to call "food".

I nearly hurled smelling it. ....shivers. Yea,hard pass.

Site Supporter

INGO Supporter

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members
    Latest member
    jojo99
    Top Bottom