• ...and so much more!
  • Hardscrable

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    7   0   0
    Jan 6, 2010
    S.E. of Southwest
    I realized I hadn't addressed the Haggis issue...

Haggis (Scottish Gaelic: taigeis) is a savoury pudding containing sheep's pluck (heart, liver, and lungs), minced with onion, oatmeal, suet, spices, and salt, mixed with stock, and cooked while traditionally encased in the animal's stomach[1] though now an artificial casing is often used instead.

I'm not sure what's scarier... the animal's stomach, or an artificial "animal's stomach". :nailbite:
    Is using a stomach worse than eating brain, tongue, liver, etc. ? Or sausage which was encased in intestines ? Until 15+/- years ago my wife’s maternal family held an annual “pigly” (sp ?) supper. My father remembered having it served when he he was young also.

Pigly recipe:
    Pig stomach, turn inside out, scrape/clean, turn right side out
    Stuff with sausage, diced potatoes, spices
    Sow stomach shut with needle and thread, roast in oven

Stomach basically acted as an oven bag, retained all the juices. Was very good. Most of the family ate the actual stomach, most of us spouses did not. Always served with home made snitz pies.

Tradition was stooped when it became hard to obtain stomachs, older generations passed on, and younger generations didn’t want to do the work. Would eat again if available.

DoggyDaddy

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    73   0   1
    Aug 18, 2011
    Southside Indy
    Is using a stomach worse than eating brain, tongue, liver, etc. ? Or sausage which was encased in intestines ? Until 15+/- years ago my wife’s maternal family held an annual “pigly” (sp ?) supper. My father remembered having it served when he he was young also.

Pigly recipe:
    Pig stomach, turn inside out, scrape/clean, turn right side out
    Stuff with sausage, diced potatoes, spices
    Sow stomach shut with needle and thread, roast in oven

Stomach basically acted as an oven bag, retained all the juices. Was very good. Most of the family ate the actual stomach, most of us spouses did not. Always served with home made snitz pies.

Tradition was stooped when it became hard to obtain stomachs, older generations passed on, and younger generations didn’t want to do the work. Would eat again if available.
    I don't eat brains, tongue or liver either for what it's worth. :):

Expat

Pdub
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    23   0   0
    Feb 27, 2010
    Michiana
    Many years ago the wife and I attended a Burns' supper at Fiddler's Hearth in South Bend. They had Haggis, which was the main reason I was there. I thought it was good.

Timjoebillybob

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Feb 27, 2009
    I don't eat brains, tongue or liver either for what it's worth. :):
    Never tried brain. Tongue and liver though. I'll eat the heck out of those. My mom had some of her grandkids asking her to make liver and onions. They thought it was a treat. She'd tell them if they were really good she would make it for them. After they got older and found out they "weren't supposed to like liver" that stopped.

jerrob

Master
    Rating - 100%
    17   0   0
    Mar 1, 2013
    Cumberland Plateau
    Grandpa would eat braunsweiger and limburger cheese on the porch almost daily for lunch. Grandma complained, but bought it for him.

Dad loved souse, head cheese, and brausweiger. Mom would complain, but would buy it for him.

I like chicken L&O, beef tongue and braunsweiger. My wife complains, but buys it for me.

Moral of story, men in my family are gross and the women just like to complain.

JTScribe

Chicago Typewriter
    Rating - 100%
    10   0   0
    Dec 24, 2012
    Bartholomew County
    Mom would make liver and onions all the time when I was a kid and I had to eat it but didn't like it. Oddly enough, I loved the smell of it cooking, but the texture just grossed me out. I will eat Braunschweiger though.
    My mom would make liver and boiled spinach. I swore to myself I’d never eat that when I grew up.

spencer rifle

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    70   0   0
    Apr 15, 2011
    Scrounging brass
    In our family it's SWMBO that will eat ANYTHING - cuttlefish, octopus, KALE, okra, tripe, the depth of her food depravity has no bottom. Imagine it and she will try to eat it and serve it to us. We are just guinea pigs in her twisted chemistry experiments.

She doesn't understand that normal people (like the rest of the family) actually DON"T LIKE that stuff, and takes it out on us since she has to eat all that she makes.

Not eating sheep brains - that's how you get scrapie. Prion diseases are no fun.

Top Bottom