Sep 27, 2010
    NWI

IndyDave1776

Grandmaster
    Emeritus
    Rating - 100%
    12   0   0
    Jan 12, 2012
    Perhaps you'd like to explain to me how any question on the census has an effect on reducing the illegal alien population?

Solve that issue on its merits. Don't mix up the two.
    Perhaps we could have been solving it with the resources tied up in this fiasco.

The question assists with locating and identifying. That help tremendously with removing them.

Now we are back to your apparent support of their usurping our congressional representation and electoral vote.

2A_Tom

Crotchety old member!
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    3   0   0
    Sep 27, 2010
    NWI
    I think she and others should be prosecuted for obstruction of justice and harboring criminals.

JettaKnight

Я з Україною
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    6   0   0
    Oct 13, 2010
    Fort Wayne
    The question assists with locating and identifying. That help tremendously with removing them.

That's not the purpose of a census.

Or at least, that's certainly not what the Trump administration claimed was the purpose of the question.

Besides, there's other ways to find that information, and if you expect people to answer a survey that they even slightly suspect will get them deported...

Sylvain

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Nov 30, 2010
    Normandy

Are you saying that the people who answer "no" to the question "Are you a US citizen?" need to be removed?

There are millions of people lawfully in the US who are not US citizens.

There are an estimated 13.2 million green card holders of whom 8.9 million are eligible for citizenship of the United States. Approximately 65,000 of them serve in the U.S. Armed Forces.

Not to mention the tens of thousands of foreign tourists who might be present in the US during the census.

Not being a US citizen doesn't mean you're therefore an illegal alien.

And no illegal alien will ever answer thruthfully any question regarding their legal status.
    They could just say they're a US citizen and nobody would know if it's true or not.

Same way the US Customs never caught a terrorist who answered thruthfully the question about being a terrorist (or a spy) when crossing the border.

T.Lex

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    15   0   0
    Mar 30, 2011
    Lovely, so now non-citizens will be represented in congress. Just what the Constitution specified. :n00b:

Non-citizens are not supposed to vote, so no - they won't really be represented.

But, their headcount will count toward how many representatives the various states have. That's basically the way it has always been. (Even under the 3/5ths regime.)

So, citizens that live in states with more non-citizens will have a proportionally greater representation than citizens from states with fewer non-citizens.

IMHO, the reality is that it doesn't matter. The legislators are generally mix-and-match.

There's also the electoral college factor, but the most populous states will still be the most populous states.

Sylvain

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Nov 30, 2010
    Normandy
    Non-citizens are not supposed to vote, so no - they won't really be represented.

But, their headcount will count toward how many representatives the various states have. That's basically the way it has always been. (Even under the 3/5ths regime.)

So, citizens that live in states with more non-citizens will have a proportionally greater representation than citizens from states with fewer non-citizens.

IMHO, the reality is that it doesn't matter. The legislators are generally mix-and-match.

There's also the electoral college factor, but the most populous states will still be the most populous states.

I wonder how much tourism impact those numbers.
    States like California or Florida get a lot of tourists compared to Alaska or Montana.
    And I'm not just talking about foreign tourists like myself who get included.
    If you're from Indiana and going to visit some friends or in-laws in California during the census you will be counted as being part of the Californian population, and won't be counted in Indiana.

The states with the greater number of representatives are also the most visited by tourists.

most-visited-cities-in-usa-.jpg

T.Lex

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    15   0   0
    Mar 30, 2011
    I wonder how much tourism impact those numbers.

It shouldn't affect the census numbers at all. It is supposed to be actual residents, although I'm sure there is some slippage in the numbers.

The "bigger" issue are the "snowbirds." People from northern climes who live in Florida or Arizona a few months of the winter.

Even then, last I looked, those people don't really move the population needle very much in terms of representatives.

I believe each representative relates to about 700k people. So, that's a big number that needs to change to shift a single representative.

BugI02

Grandmaster
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jul 4, 2013
    Columbus, OH
    So, how many illegals are in the country and are they concentrated in such a way to shift the numbers of representatives in an indefensible way? Oh, that's right - it's racist to want to know

drillsgt

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    108   0   0
    Nov 29, 2009
    Sioux Falls, SD
    That's not the purpose of a census.

Or at least, that's certainly not what the Trump administration claimed was the purpose of the question.

Besides, there's other ways to find that information, and if you expect people to answer a survey that they even slightly suspect will get them deported...

If they are her illegally that's fine, we don't want them to be counted in the first place.

Top Bottom