Not open for further replies.

DoggyDaddy

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    73   0   1
    Aug 18, 2011
    Southside Indy
    Bug, for some reason, only half of your map shows for me. And I'm on my laptop, not on a phone. I've noticed that from several of your posts with any kind of graphics, so I don't know if it's something on your end or what. Just sayin'... :)

foszoe

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    24   0   0
    Jun 2, 2011
    Yeah. That was odd. I actually thought the original data source would have come from the fed, but I haven't been able to chase that down yet.

Sometimes real life interferes with internet life.

I think Illinois was first on the fed site and Kentucky was second but not certain. In a real discussion my first assumption would be Illinois is a poster child for pension issues.

Last edited:

BugI02

Grandmaster
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jul 4, 2013
    Columbus, OH
    Bug, for some reason, only half of your map shows for me. And I'm on my laptop, not on a phone. I've noticed that from several of your posts with any kind of graphics, so I don't know if it's something on your end or what. Just sayin'... :)

It's a screen shot from the foszoe post quoted, hosted by INGO not any secondary archive. Don't know what to tell you. If you want to see the whole thing, go to the link and set the slider to 2017 and it will show that Kentucky still isn't the worst offender according to their interprertation of the data

Which half doesn't show? Top/bottom or left/right

BugI02

Grandmaster
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jul 4, 2013
    Columbus, OH
    Yeah. That was odd. I actually thought the original data source would have come from the fed, but I haven't been able to chase that down yet.

Sometimes real life interferes with internet life.

I haven't circled back to Pew yet, but it could be that the FedResv is using state and local, perhaps the others are only using state? Illinois comes out numero uno on the FedResv site and Chicago likely has an eye-opening pension shortfall. Might be enough to push them to the front of the queue

DoggyDaddy

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    73   0   1
    Aug 18, 2011
    Southside Indy
    It's a screen shot from the foszoe post quoted, hosted by INGO not any secondary archive. Don't know what to tell you. If you want to see the whole thing, go to the link and set the slider to 2017 and it will show that Kentucky still isn't the worst offender according to their interprertation of the data

Which half doesn't show? Top/bottom or left/right
    The right side didn't show (basically everything east of the Mississippi). Ironic that!

Ingomike

Top Hand
    Rating - 100%
    6   0   0
    May 26, 2018
    North Central
    Hollywood is already prostituting themselves to China to make ends meet.

Not just Hollywood, all the social media companies, and just about any of the big ones. Far easier to get a piece of the HUGE China market than earn a larger piece of the American market.

The big dirty secret is that so called American news companies, that are not independent companies, they are owned by multinational conglomerates, that crave the Chinese market. The "news" is just a propaganda arm for them to gain favor. As CM says, follow the money...

The sheeple have no idea their so called news is so perverted and when told, it is beyond their comprehensive ability, so they mumble, shrug their shoulders and put their head back in the sand...

ArcadiaGP

Wanderer
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    11   0   0
    Jun 15, 2009
    Indianapolis
    Since we're talking about getting back on track, maybe this would be more appropriate... ;)

[video=youtube;m4tJSn0QtME]https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=m4tJSn0QtME[/video]

Love that song, interesting version, hadn't heard it before...

Back when I played a lot of DDR, I really put on a good show with this song.

Ingomike

Top Hand
    Rating - 100%
    6   0   0
    May 26, 2018
    North Central
    The Federalist has an interesting analysis of a Nate Siver tweet thread.

In a three-tweet thread on Friday, Nate Silver of 538 explained (without quite realizing it) exactly how left wing media has been lying about the spread of the coronavirus and President Trump. His conclusion is that members of the news media use facts and figures out of context in misleading ways because they wish to appear smart.

That doesn't mean it's just making stuff up or engaging in fake news. On the contrary, the facts it relays are generally accurate in isolation. But the problems are in how facts are strung together and emphasized. Often there are sins of omission (e.g. no context on testing).
    — Nate Silver (@NateSilver538) May 7, 2020
    BTW, Trump has figured this out! By focusing on case counts, the media creates disincentives to do more testing because it makes the numbers look superficially worse. One reason (not the only one) why we're not pushing for testing as much as we should.https://t.co/lDxP8CMueL
    — Nate Silver (@NateSilver538) May 7, 2020

This brings us to his defense of this misleading practice in which he asserts that it is not “fake news.” He justifies this spurious assessment on the basis that in isolation the facts are true. This is a bizarre way to think about truth in the news.

Actively choosing to omit very basic and relevant facts because they don’t fit your narrative is deceptive and absolutely qualifies as fake news. The fact that, as Silver admits, this is being done across the liberal journalism ecosystem makes the practice even worse.

Throughout Trump’s presidency the news media, often more so even than Democrats has been his principle and primary adversary. It is very much a two-way street. In these tweets Silver lays open the progressive media playbook for all to see. First, decide on and coordinate the bad stuff smart people think about Trump; then selectively choose only the facts that support that “narrative.” After that congratulate yourself for the accuracy of your selectively chosen facts, and then invent a completely unsubstantiated allegation against the president.

This playbook was used for Russian collusion, it was used for impeachment and it is in use right now during the pandemic.

https://thefederalist.com/2020/05/08/nate-silver-almost-explains-how-liberal-media-lies/

Status
    Not open for further replies.

Site Supporter

INGO Supporter

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members
    Latest member
    benw
    Top Bottom