• Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • smokingman

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Nov 11, 2008
    Indiana
    This is just an educated guess,but looks to be where things are heading.They will not do it through a vote,not in the normal sense.My guess is things are going to come down to a Quorum vote.Kind of how the Federal Reserve act passed on Christmas eve 1913.

The benefit to the Republicans is of course they do not have to take the blame for anything.They will not be blocking it,nor do they have to come up with a deal that can pass a vote with the Democrats.The other advantage is of course they can spend Christmas at home while giving up the right to ever have any say in the debt ceiling again.Part of the deal Obama and Geithner are proposing is taking the control of the debt ceiling from congress.

Why would I think this?Well the session officially was supposed to end on the 16th.Cantor will not adjourn the house,until a deal is reached(most likely it will not adjourn before Christmas),but you can bet most of the members will be at home with family.That leaves both parties needing sacrificial lambs to stay and hold a Quorum vote.

With all the Democrats(and a few Republicans)screaming to not close the congressional session either...another quorum will form over there.

It does not really benefit the Republican party or the Democrats what it does it let them say they tried.It saves face.A deal gets passed with only a few members voting,and the blame game can start in January about how bad the deal was(for both sides).

No one even has to get dirty.Is it not beautiful.Time will tell.
    I am guessing when the new session starts congress will have given up all constitutional authority over the budget and the debt ceiling will be forever gone.:twocents:

jmiller676

Master
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Mar 16, 2009
    18 feet up
    This is just an educated guess,but looks to be where things are heading.They will not do it through a vote,not in the normal sense.My guess is things are going to come down to a Quorum vote.Kind of how the Federal Reserve act passed on Christmas eve 1913.

The benefit to the Republicans is of course they do not have to take the blame for anything.They will not be blocking it,nor do they have to come up with a deal that can pass a vote with the Democrats.The other advantage is of course they can spend Christmas at home while giving up the right to ever have any say in the debt ceiling again.Part of the deal Obama and Geithner are proposing is taking the control of the debt ceiling from congress.

Why would I think this?Well the session officially was supposed to end on the 16th.Cantor will not adjourn the house,until a deal is reached(most likely it will not adjourn before Christmas),but you can bet most of the members will be at home with family.That leaves both parties needing sacrificial lambs to stay and hold a Quorum vote.

With all the Democrats(and a few Republicans)screaming to not close the congressional session either...another quorum will form over there.

It does not really benefit the Republican party or the Democrats what it does it let them say they tried.It saves face.A deal gets passed with only a few members voting,and the blame game can start in January about how bad the deal was(for both sides).

No one even has to get dirty.Is it not beautiful.Time will tell.
    I am guessing when the new session starts congress will have given up all constitutional authority over the budget and the debt ceiling will be forever gone.:twocents:

I agree and you know just as well as I do that the debt ceiling means nothing. It's like saying that you're only gonna drink a six pack tonight but have a 1/5 of whiskey in your hand and 2 cases of beer in the fridge.

smokingman

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Nov 11, 2008
    Indiana
    Sounds like a lot of messing around. I thought nowadays we just "deem it passed" and move on.

This subject is to dramatic to just pass.How can a Republican who took an oath of no new taxes vote in favor of new taxes and keep credibility?

If the way I laid out happens they can get it passed with just a very few members taking the heat,and then complain in January about what a raw deal it was.The only thing better than never letting a good crisis go to waste,is being able to blame someone else for the crisis.

Tsigos

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Apr 19, 2012
    I think we will go over the cliff so Republicans can save face with Norquist. The Bush tax cuts will then expire. Then, there will be some political theater with all-night meetings and such and a compromise will be reached which reduces taxes on those making less than $250,000. That way, Obama gets what he wants and the Republicans can claim that they only voted for a tax cut on the middle class.

HavokCycle

Master
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Nov 10, 2012
    Zionsville
    it would behoove them to do so immediately, as we can continue on with christmas shopping after finding more confidence in our economy.

but then they're not really concerned about -us- are they, or any sort of long-term goal.

lucky4034

Master
    Rating - 100%
    13   0   0
    Jan 14, 2012
    This subject is to dramatic to just pass.How can a Republican who took an oath of no new taxes vote in favor of new taxes and keep credibility?

If the way I laid out happens they can get it passed with just a very few members taking the heat,and then complain in January about what a raw deal it was.The only thing better than never letting a good crisis go to waste,is being able to blame someone else for the crisis.

I believe Rand Paul plans to do just this....

Rand Paul: Let The Democrats Eat Tax Hikes - Rand Paul - Fox Nation

smokingman

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Nov 11, 2008
    Indiana
    The session officially ended Friday(12/14/2012) for congress with no extension of the session voted on,so there will not be any extension.

They can talk about the fiscal cliff all they want now,there will not be a full congressional vote before January 1st.If a deal is reached it will be passed as I described in the opening thread.

Most all members of congress are now home until January 3rd when the next session starts.

jedi

Da PinkFather
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    51   0   0
    Oct 27, 2008
    NWI, North of US-30
    Again nothing to worry about we got only 7 days left. =)
    Beside the :sheep: are too busy with the CT shooting right now to even worry about the cliff.
    Got to love how easy they can get distracted.

LP1

Master
    Rating - 100%
    3   0   0
    Sep 8, 2010
    Friday Town
    ...I am guessing when the new session starts congress will have given up all constitutional authority over the budget and the debt ceiling will be forever gone.:twocents:

The "debt ceiling" has very little meaning. It simply means that Congress authorizes the actual payment of money that has already been spent. There is no valid reason to discuss it every year. Any changes to spending need to occur when spending bills are being discussed, not months or years afterward.

rfuerst911sc

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Dec 12, 2012
    I just wish they would get it over with, they've been arguing for years about this ! They all would have been fired in the real world with performance this poor.

jedi

Da PinkFather
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    51   0   0
    Oct 27, 2008
    NWI, North of US-30
    Over the cliff we go!!!

sheep-fall-off-fiscal-cliff-620x409.jpg

Well smokingman are we gonna go over the cliff?
    Less than 48 hours for us to go over! :)

lucky4034

Master
    Rating - 100%
    13   0   0
    Jan 14, 2012
    I love how they describe our economical situation as a "cliff" which would suggest that America is screwed as a result of a single administration, when in fact... this "cliff" more closely resembles a slippery slope that started many a year ago.

I think its just another way to keep people misinformed. If the general public believes that this upcoming financial disaster was the result of a bad Presidency or two, they will operate under the assumption that we are only a President or two away from righting the ship.

Sadly that isn't the case.... Finding the right "President" isn't going to dig us out of this hole... we need to be thinking about how in the hell we are going to run up a glass wall with petroleum tennis shoes....

jedi

Da PinkFather
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    51   0   0
    Oct 27, 2008
    NWI, North of US-30
    @lucky4034

we are a nation of instantaneous gratification we can not think long term nor do we want to as such our savior is only an election away. We can't stop and think about the next 30, 60 or 100 years. We demand results NOW, actually yesterday and hell be d**** if we don't get our entitlements right now before we even work.

Now run along, nothing to see here.

:faint:

lucky4034

Master
    Rating - 100%
    13   0   0
    Jan 14, 2012
    I honestly think this fiscal cliff non-sense is a diversion. A way to prepare Americans for a long term collapse because it leaves them with hope that its fixable and therefore much easier to control (or suck the control from slowly without rebellion)

Very interesting they don't just come out and tell America that this collapse is a permanent deal. (at least as far as the $ is concerned) Imagine what would happen if they said:

"We regret to inform you that America is doomed..."

jedi

Da PinkFather
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    51   0   0
    Oct 27, 2008
    NWI, North of US-30
    I honestly think this fiscal cliff non-sense is a diversion. A way to prepare Americans for a long term collapse because it leaves them with hope that its fixable and therefore much easier to control (or suck the control from slowly without rebellion)

Very interesting they don't just come out and tell America that this collapse is a permanent deal. (at least as far as the $ is concerned) Imagine what would happen if they said:

"We regret to inform you that America is doomed..."

Well the netown killing and the 2013 AWB is taking front page news right now so I'm sure DC is happy to take the focus away from the cliff.

Top Bottom