The PC word or phrase that torques you off?

The #1 community for Gun Owners in Indiana

Member Benefits:

• Fewer Ads!
  • Discuss all aspects of firearm ownership
  • Discuss anti-gun legislation
  • Buy, sell, and trade in the classified section
  • Chat with Local gun shops, ranges, trainers & other businesses
  • Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • Leadeye

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Jan 19, 2009
    I've had it. Not too bad on scrambled eggs, but this is my brand since I was a kid and I ain't gonna change now:

85px-Tabasco_bottle_2013.jpeg

Still the best.

rhino

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    24   0   0
    Mar 18, 2008
    Indiana
    I'm irritated by racial/ethnic labels that were arbitrarily chosen to avoid offending people who are going to be offended anyway that are so vague as to have little meaning.

For instance: "Asian"

That could (and does) refer to people from such a diverse and varied group of cultures, ethnicities, and racial mixtures as to be meaningless. Afgahnis are just as "Asian" as someone from China, but they bear little resemblance. So ultimately, "Asian" is a code word for what people used to call "oriental" and somehow because the political correctness police arbitrarily said one label is less offensive than another, then it's okay to use it.

If you need to label people and you can't tell the differences among Indochinese, Malay, Malay-Polynesian, Chinese, Japanese, Koreans, etc., at least say "southeast Asian." It's still vague, but orders of magnitude more correctly descriptive than "Asian."

And don't forget that in the UK, Asian = South Asian, i.e. Indian & Pakistani.

Dead Duck

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    53   0   0
    Apr 1, 2011
    I'm irritated by racial/ethnic labels that were arbitrarily chosen to avoid offending people who are going to be offended anyway that are so vague as to have little meaning.

For instance: "Asian"

That could (and does) refer to people from such a diverse and varied group of cultures, ethnicities, and racial mixtures as to be meaningless. Afgahnis are just as "Asian" as someone from China, but they bear little resemblance. So ultimately, "Asian" is a code word for what people used to call "oriental" and somehow because the political correctness police arbitrarily said one label is less offensive than another, then it's okay to use it.

If you need to label people and you can't tell the differences among Indochinese, Malay, Malay-Polynesian, Chinese, Japanese, Koreans, etc., at least say "southeast Asian." It's still vague, but orders of magnitude more correctly descriptive than "Asian."

And don't forget that in the UK, Asian = South Asian, i.e. Indian & Pakistani.

I knew two Tongan brothers (Pacific Islands) that couldn't wait for a white guy to throw out a guess to their ethnic background.
    Problem was, it didn't matter if he guessed right, they'd still pound him just for trying. They were some bigass "mokes" that hated whitey. :n00b:

I miss those guys!

rhino

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    24   0   0
    Mar 18, 2008
    Indiana
    I knew two Tongan brothers (Pacific Islands) that couldn't wait for a white guy to throw out a guess to their ethnic background.
    Problem was, it didn't matter if he guessed right, they'd still pound him just for trying. They were some bigass "mokes" that hated whitey. :n00b:

I miss those guys!

When I lived in California (1987-1991), some guys in my gym were members of a Tongan gang. I thought they were Samoan and even though there is a huge rivalry between the two, laughed when I asked them if they were Samoan. I didn't know they were in a gang at that time and they kept asking me to hang out with them. In their culture, being big and strong is a very good thing, and I was stronger than they were, so they liked me. I never went out with them, but one Monday night I saw them in the gym and they all looked like they'd been in a car wreck. Turns out they were in a huge fight with a Samoan gang, which was pretty much their usual weekend practice. I didn't want to know what the guys were like who beat them up, but most average people would not have survived the encounter. I was very glad that my delicate form was not placed in that jeopardy!

Being young and strong was good, but being older and weak and crippled now is better since I'm not as stupid as I was then. And I'm probably more fun.

I know that to most people I look like a typical fat white guy. When someone from one of those islands or Hawaii sees me, they very often ask me "what mix are you?" They see the "similar" and they're used to seeing a lot of people who mixed of various southeast Asian and pacific island ethnicities with white. The latter is especially true for Hawaiians of all kinds.

OakRiver

Grandmaster
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Aug 12, 2014
    IN
    If anyone wants to have a laugh;

12189158_10156230857265634_6199653649278290019_n_zpsc6zwwsav.jpg

I guess someone is a
    specialsnowflake.png

Naughty word removed - thank you for the heads up Cpt Nervous

Last edited:

OakRiver

Grandmaster
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Aug 12, 2014
    IN
    If that is satire, it's hilarious. If it's an example of someone who really isn't joking . . . OY, VEY!
    You know that a movement should be at the end of it's lifespan when Poe's Law is in full effect :D Unfortunately this is not satire

rhino

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    24   0   0
    Mar 18, 2008
    Indiana
    You know that a movement should be at the end of it's lifespan when Poe's Law is in full effect :D Unfortunately this is not satire

I had to google "Poe's Law," so thank you for the education.

Now that we know what you quoted was an earnest expression of someone's unfortunately compromised thought processes, I stand by my OY, VEY!

OakRiver

Grandmaster
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Aug 12, 2014
    IN
    THANK GOD! I was really trying to follow the satire and kept getting lost. But...on the other hand...now I wanna puke.
    I believe that is a perfectly healthy reaction given the toxic levels of derp in that image :D

I had to google "Poe's Law," so thank you for the education.

Now that we know what you quoted was an earnest expression of someone's unfortunately compromised thought processes, I stand by my OY, VEY!
    You're welcome. I too agree with the Oy, vey!

Oh - I love The Raven. :n00b:
    We could do with hearing "Nevermore" on some of the nonsense we're laughing about in this thread :D

jamil

code ho
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jul 17, 2011
    Gtown-ish
    I would agree. I am inclined to think that being accused of 'microagression' could lead me to the temptation to introduce the accuser to macroagression.
    I mourn the old days when things were simpler and it was just plain old aggression.

Top Bottom