The PC word or phrase that torques you off?

The #1 community for Gun Owners in Indiana

Member Benefits:

• Fewer Ads!
  • Discuss all aspects of firearm ownership
  • Discuss anti-gun legislation
  • Buy, sell, and trade in the classified section
  • Chat with Local gun shops, ranges, trainers & other businesses
  • Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • jamil

code ho
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jul 17, 2011
    Gtown-ish
    No, that's not reverse racism. Reverse racism is often exhibited by members of the same race, giving preferential treatment to members of a group of which they are not part of, to right what they think are past wrongs. It has nothing to doing with thinking that the other group is superior, and actually could be based in the belief that the group getting preference is inferior. It can be exhibited socially, politically, judicially, and economically... hence why it can be a form on institutional racism. You follow?
    Most dictionary definitions of "racism" include the word "superior". However, I think when we're defining reverse descrimination, I tend to agree that what you've described could be included as that.

SchwansManDan

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Apr 29, 2015
    Fort Wayne, or close
    Do you believe in reverse racism? If you do, then you have an example of institutional racism.

To me, even "reverse racism" is still just "racism". Both are tools to divide us as a people.
    We're all here together on the planet. I may be better at math or woodworking. You may be a better at knitting or playing the accordion or nuclear engineering. Each of us has or strengths and innate talents as well as our weaknesses and limitations. Some may be perceived to have gotten a jump start in life due to their inherited wealth or social status; others may be perceived to have been unfairly held back due to growing up poor or in a single parent household. It ain't about skin color or where we came from: it's about where we're going and how we will get there with integrity.

IndyDave1776

Grandmaster
    Emeritus
    Rating - 100%
    12   0   0
    Jan 12, 2012
    No, that's not reverse racism. Reverse racism is often exhibited by members of the same race, giving preferential treatment to members of a group of which they are not part of, to right what they think are past wrongs. It has nothing to doing with thinking that the other group is superior, and actually could be based in the belief that the group getting preference is inferior. It can be exhibited socially, politically, judicially, and economically... hence why it can be a form on institutional racism. You follow?

OK, that makes sense. Having fair standards that apply equally to all regardless of [descriptor of your choice] would make life so much simpler!

SchwansManDan

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Apr 29, 2015
    Fort Wayne, or close
    Add to my list ... "Hate Crime".

I first heard the term in the late 80s or early 90s. If someone was kicking my ass in a bar fight, he might get six months for assault. But if he called me a "cracker" while kicking my ass, the crime of assault is now somehow worse & deserves a longer sentence?

Granted ... I prefer Saltine-American, but I will still be just as bruised & bloody.

IndyDave1776

Grandmaster
    Emeritus
    Rating - 100%
    12   0   0
    Jan 12, 2012
    Add to my list ... "Hate Crime".

I first heard the term in the late 80s or early 90s. If someone was kicking my ass in a bar fight, he might get six months for assault. But if he called me a "cracker" while kicking my ass, the crime of assault is now somehow worse & deserves a longer sentence?

Granted ... I prefer Saltine-American, but I will still be just as bruised & bloody.

:yesway:

Kutnupe14

Troll Emeritus
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jan 13, 2011
    Let's spice this up a bit. A Hate Crime brings along criminal enhancements, right? So should criminal enhancements because the victim is handicapped, a child, or elderly also be viewed in the same way? Should, say a dentist that fondles a child, while she is under, be sentenced the same way as if he had fondled a woman under the same circumstances?

IndyDave1776

Grandmaster
    Emeritus
    Rating - 100%
    12   0   0
    Jan 12, 2012
    Let's spice this up a bit. A Hate Crime brings along criminal enhancements, right? So should criminal enhancements because the victim is handicapped, a child, or elderly also be viewed in the same way? Should, say a dentist that fondles a child, while she is under, be sentenced the same way as if he had fondled a woman under the same circumstances?

I'll bite. I would tend to see a difference between making a distinction based on attacking the defenseless or relatively defenseless rather than over a political correctness distinction. Your dentist example gets interesting. Generally we would come down harder on harming a child, but if one is sedated, general helplessness exists regardless of any other variables.

Kutnupe14

Troll Emeritus
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jan 13, 2011
    I'll bite. I would tend to see a difference between making a distinction based on attacking the defenseless or relatively defenseless rather than over a political correctness distinction. Your dentist example gets interesting. Generally we would come down harder on harming a child, but if one is sedated, general helplessness exists regardless of any other variables.

I knew I had to be creative because someone would bring up the defenselessness of the child. For the record, while I don't believe in hate crimes, I actually do believe in enhanced sentencing for crimes that go past a certain level of human decency. I can't give an exact definition of what or when that is, but you know it when you see it.

IndyDave1776

Grandmaster
    Emeritus
    Rating - 100%
    12   0   0
    Jan 12, 2012
    I knew I had to be creative because someone would bring up the defenselessness of the child. For the record, while I don't believe in hate crimes, I actually do believe in enhanced sentencing for crimes that go past a certain level of human decency. I can't give an exact definition of what or when that is, but you know it when you see it.

I understand. There is a difference between beating someone and dragging him from Carmel to Monument Circle behind a motor vehicle.

SchwansManDan

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Apr 29, 2015
    Fort Wayne, or close
    Nah. Just send the dentist to jail, whether his victim was a child of 10 or a woman of 40.

The inmates on his cell block may have a different view and may enhance his punishment, however. So be it.

Dead Duck

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    53   0   0
    Apr 1, 2011

Yes, the dirtbags should both be slowly fondled with a red hot poker then castrated with rusty pruning shears. :n00b:

jamil

code ho
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jul 17, 2011
    Gtown-ish
    I think "hate crime" is too subjective. I agree that it's fine for society to want to punish the most heinous acts harsher. But a child is clearly defined. Defenseless is more objectively judged. And having a majority of an entire population excluded from eligibility for victimhood of a hate crime makes that even less just. Eric Holder said that white people can't be victims of hate crime.

bonkers1919

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Apr 3, 2010
    Columbus
    Are not all crimes, crimes of hate?

I hate the fact you have more money than I, so I shall steal yours.

I hate the fact you have a car, so I shall steal yours.

I hate you for having many toys in your house. TV's, stereo's, computers, and I have none of these. So I shall steal yours.

ETC.............................

Kutnupe14

Troll Emeritus
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jan 13, 2011
    Are not all crimes, crimes of hate?

I hate the fact you have more money than I, so I shall steal yours.

I hate the fact you have a car, so I shall steal yours.

I hate you for having many toys in your house. TV's, stereo's, computers, and I have none of these. So I shall steal yours.

ETC.............................

No, there are plenty of crimes not based on hate. So people commit crimes out of need, and some due to ignorance.

IndyDave1776

Grandmaster
    Emeritus
    Rating - 100%
    12   0   0
    Jan 12, 2012
    No, there are plenty of crimes not based on hate. So people commit crimes out of need, and some due to ignorance.

Exactly. Then throw in greed and perps who are just plain mean and do evil things with no particular malice against any specific victim, as in he isn't prejudiced, he hates everyone.

Top Bottom