Not open for further replies.

DoggyDaddy

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    73   0   1
    Aug 18, 2011
    Southside Indy
    Oh I'm safe I'm 28' above the riverbank on the hill. No flood worry for me but others down the road won't be so lucky if it comes up like it has in the past.
    Years ago I had a buddy that lived on the Tippy between Shaeffer and Freeman. He wasn't nearly as elevated as you are, but they are pretty good about monitoring and maintaining the river levels there (he was probably only about a mile downstream from the dam) so he'd never been flooded. That is until they weren't so good at it.

Buddy was wheelchair bound and living alone. One night he woke up to find his mattress was floating. River had come up that quickly after he went to bed. He was rescued but I can only imagine how terrifying that must have been.

bcannon

QC Dept aka Picky F'er
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    57   0   0
    Apr 13, 2012
    Boiler Country
    How close to you does the river get?
    I didn't answer your question very well. Last flood the water came up about 7' on my back hill. A buddy and I actually fished off my lane that come up to the back of my house. I didn't catch anything but he caught a couple catfish and a red tail sucker.

bcannon

QC Dept aka Picky F'er
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    57   0   0
    Apr 13, 2012
    Boiler Country
    Years ago I had a buddy that lived on the Tippy between Shaeffer and Freeman. He wasn't nearly as elevated as you are, but they are pretty good about monitoring and maintaining the river levels there (he was probably only about a mile downstream from the dam) so he'd never been flooded. That is until they weren't so good at it.

Buddy was wheelchair bound and living alone. One night he woke up to find his mattress was floating. River had come up that quickly after he went to bed. He was rescued but I can only imagine how terrifying that must have been.
    That had to be scary. The people on my road are veteran flood peeps. Most get all their stuff up or to higher ground before its a issue. When they open the dams its a emergency sitch and yes it comes up quick. Last flood the dam engineers were not familiar with floods and high water issues and opened the dam to release 26k gallons per second and it came quick. The river came up like a foot a minute. It rushed into my back yard bringing all kinds of crap with it. That seriously sucked for quite a few of my neighbors. Thank God the Army Corps of engineers is in charge now. We've had floods but it nothing that got people stranded like before.

Last edited:

DoggyDaddy

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    73   0   1
    Aug 18, 2011
    Southside Indy
    That had to be scary. The people on my road are veteran flood peeps. Most get all their stuff up or to higher ground before its a issue. When they open the dams is a emergency sitch and yes it comes up quick. Last flood the dam engineers were not familiar with floods and high water issues and opened the dam to release 26k gallons per second and it came quick. The river came up like a foot a minute. It rushed into my back yard bringing all kinds of crap with it. That seriously sucked for quite a few of my neighbors. Thank God the Army Corps of engineers is in charge now. We've had floods but it nothing that got people stranded like before.
    I don't know who is in charge of the Shaeffer and Freeman dams (I know that's not the right names for them). Are you on the Tippy or the Wabash?

bcannon

QC Dept aka Picky F'er
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    57   0   0
    Apr 13, 2012
    Boiler Country
    I don't know who is in charge of the Shaeffer and Freeman dams (I know that's not the right names for them). Are you on the Tippy or the Wabash?
    The Tippy. The dam above Schaeffer is Norway and the dam below Freeman is Oakdale. The Army Corps of engineers is in charge of both in flood warnings and emergency situations now.

bcannon

QC Dept aka Picky F'er
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    57   0   0
    Apr 13, 2012
    Boiler Country
    There was a helicopter that just flew low upriver so they're on watch it looks like and hopefully planning accordingly. I have a couple extra vehicles in my drive and a couple mowers parked under my sheds lean-to already. It looks like my neighbors are getting ready.

ancjr

1 Kings 18:17-18 KJV
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Aug 20, 2021
    Washington County
    There was a helicopter that just flew low upriver so they're on watch it looks like and hopefully planning accordingly. I have a couple extra vehicles in my drive and a couple mowers parked under my sheds lean-to already. It looks like my neighbors are getting ready.

All I'm seeing on radar are air ambulances.

Status
    Not open for further replies.
    Top Bottom