Momerator
    Staff member
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Nov 10, 2013
    NW of Sunshine
    What's in Seattle?
    My brother in law. He went to the doctor Sept. 13th. He hadn't been feeling well, started having a lot of dizziness, headaches, nausea...then his vision started getting messed up. He was diagnosed with a glioma on his brain stem, stage 4. He is now sleeping 20 hours a day and barely eating....not going to last long. We are trying to decide if we just go and hope to get to see him or if we are going to drive all that way for his wife to tell us we can't due to not being vaccinated. Or do we wait and go if there is a funeral. Or do we not go at all because even if we go, he likely won't even know we are there. I am going to have one heck of a mess to deal with at work if I am gone for a couple of weeks or more....nobody else really does what I do and with the new doc and the office moving, etc., this could not be happening at a worse time. We've attempted a few video chats, but he is just not up for it so they haven't happened. Phone calls are not even happening because talking makes him so tired. He is 56.

mom45

Momerator
    Staff member
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Nov 10, 2013
    NW of Sunshine
    And I don't really want him driving out there and back by himself. He's 70 and has had diagnosed cardiac issues since he was 55.

Jaybird1980

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    5   0   0
    Jan 22, 2016
    North Central
    My brother in law. He went to the doctor Sept. 13th. He hadn't been feeling well, started having a lot of dizziness, headaches, nausea...then his vision started getting messed up. He was diagnosed with a glioma on his brain stem, stage 4. He is now sleeping 20 hours a day and barely eating....not going to last long. We are trying to decide if we just go and hope to get to see him or if we are going to drive all that way for his wife to tell us we can't due to not being vaccinated. Or do we wait and go if there is a funeral. Or do we not go at all because even if we go, he likely won't even know we are there. I am going to have one heck of a mess to deal with at work if I am gone for a couple of weeks or more....nobody else really does what I do and with the new doc and the office moving, etc., this could not be happening at a worse time. We've attempted a few video chats, but he is just not up for it so they haven't happened. Phone calls are not even happening because talking makes him so tired. He is 56.
    Sad news, sorry to hear that. Lost the Mother in law around that age, sucks.

mom45

Momerator
    Staff member
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Nov 10, 2013
    NW of Sunshine
    Any flying or just not commercial?
    Any. The last time we flew was when his mom died. We had flown out and visited her the year before when she was going through cancer treatments. We flew out a year later for her memorial service a month after she passed. That is the last time he saw this brother. That was over 10 years ago.

mom45

Momerator
    Staff member
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Nov 10, 2013
    NW of Sunshine
    No this I'm not kidding . . . take the train out . . . just over 2 days.
    We talked about that option too. He did the Amtrak once years ago and it was not a good experience. It may be something he has to consider but if they are requiring covid testing/vaccination, that will rule that out as well.

It's been an interesting discussion here the past few days.

Jaybird1980

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    5   0   0
    Jan 22, 2016
    North Central
    Any. The last time we flew was when his mom died. We had flown out and visited her the year before when she was going through cancer treatments. We flew out a year later for her memorial service a month after she passed. That is the last time he saw this brother. That was over 10 years ago.
    I hope the best for you guys. Hopefully they both find a way to get some peace with everything.

mom45

Momerator
    Staff member
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Nov 10, 2013
    NW of Sunshine
    I hope the best for you guys. Hopefully they both find a way to get some peace with everything.
    His brother told him a week ago not to come. I think I am going to message his daughters and see what they think. I know a couple of them have seen him in the past week or two. None of them liver real close to him but the youngest one came in from Alaska with the newest grandbaby and visited.

GregD

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    27   0   0
    Oct 7, 2009
    Madison County
    We talked about that option too. He did the Amtrak once years ago and it was not a good experience. It may be something he has to consider but if they are requiring covid testing/vaccination, that will rule that out as well.

They don't require vaccination.
    Testing I don't know for sure. My guess is no for the test.

Jaybird1980

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    5   0   0
    Jan 22, 2016
    North Central

I would for sure rather drive than take the train all that way. Anyone else that might ride out with him, any family/friends on the way he could team up with?

Status
    Not open for further replies.
    Top Bottom