mom45

Momerator
    Staff member
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Nov 10, 2013
    NW of Sunshine
    Good Morning SAM! Morning Klaus, Expat, DD...anyone else. I don't think Red is here yet.

Snow on the ground and still raining here. Daughter messaged that she made it to work okay and they got nothing at all there.

mom45

Momerator
    Staff member
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Nov 10, 2013
    NW of Sunshine
    My mom's dog bit her hands when she was trying to take off her leash. My sister called me yesterday....back to the ER they went with her and more IV antibiotics. The dog had bitten her Monday night after my sister had been there. Mom called her yesterday to come over and make dad's sandwich because her hand was hurting too much but never said why it was hurting. My sister said she had to go outside to cool off before she went back in and offered to either shoot the dog or build a pen so they no longer need to use a leash. She's been trying to get them to let her build a pen for at least 3 months so they can let the dog out and call her back in without the dog yanking on the leash and pulling mom down (which has happened a few times). There is now a makeshift pen and the dog is alive but we'll see how this goes. She is a blue heeler and is getting old and cranky and has snapped at me a few times. I watch her constantly when we take Cole to visit and have told my daughter not to let him pet her.

The hospital wanted to admit mom, but she refused and my sister took her back home. I don't see this ending well for the dog....she nips dad all the time and he has only let her live because mom has an attachment to the dog.

DoggyDaddy

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    73   0   1
    Aug 18, 2011
    Southside Indy
    Mornin' mom! That doesn't sound like a good situation with the dog at all. It would be a hard decision, but the safety of your parents and especially little ones has to take priority. I know I'm not telling you anything you don't already know though. :(

mom45

Momerator
    Staff member
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Nov 10, 2013
    NW of Sunshine
    Mornin' mom! That doesn't sound like a good situation with the dog at all. It would be a hard decision, but the safety of your parents and especially little ones has to take priority. I know I'm not telling you anything you don't already know though. :(
    They are needing a lot more help. When she tripped and fell in late October, which ultimately ended with her needing to be hospitalized for a week and having surgery to clean the infection out of her artificial knee, that was due to tripping over a cat that was on the back porch. That cat has been moved to my sister's house/barn. There are several more cats at mom's that my sister now has to go feed at exactly 10:30 every morning...there's some OCD stuff going on here. They are all spayed/neutered, but they are likely all going to end up going to my sister's barn. Mom and dad have always had animals...horses, goats, rabbits, cats, dogs, etc. on the farm so losing the animals is a big deal. When the last horse had to be put down, the goat was done at the same time so they could be buried together. That was a hard day for my parents. We hate to take away their dog, but it is becoming unsafe for them to have her. She isn't likely to be rehomed. She was placed and returned from three different homes before they got her and they were her last chance with the humane society. She was good until the past year or so when she has become more snappy and doesn't want to be touched. Luckily, she is up to date on her shots, etc. This getting old stuff really sucks sometimes.

mom45

Momerator
    Staff member
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Nov 10, 2013
    NW of Sunshine
    yeah, if I was your Dad, the dog would be "running away" here shortly....
    She won't leave as long as he keeps feeding her part of his sandwich. LOL

My sister will have no problem eliminating her properly if needed. She seriously dislikes that dog.

COOPADUP

Accipiter
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    9   0   0
    Aug 8, 2017
    Hamilton County
    She won't leave as long as he keeps feeding her part of his sandwich. LOL

My sister will have no problem eliminating her properly if needed. She seriously dislikes that dog.
    This is some tough love. My Mom was a farmgirl and animals were always part of her her life. Where is Ceazar Milan when you need him.

klausm

Grouchy Gar
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jan 4, 2011
    North Central
    They are needing a lot more help. When she tripped and fell in late October, which ultimately ended with her needing to be hospitalized for a week and having surgery to clean the infection out of her artificial knee, that was due to tripping over a cat that was on the back porch. That cat has been moved to my sister's house/barn. There are several more cats at mom's that my sister now has to go feed at exactly 10:30 every morning...there's some OCD stuff going on here. They are all spayed/neutered, but they are likely all going to end up going to my sister's barn. Mom and dad have always had animals...horses, goats, rabbits, cats, dogs, etc. on the farm so losing the animals is a big deal. When the last horse had to be put down, the goat was done at the same time so they could be buried together. That was a hard day for my parents. We hate to take away their dog, but it is becoming unsafe for them to have her. She isn't likely to be rehomed. She was placed and returned from three different homes before they got her and they were her last chance with the humane society. She was good until the past year or so when she has become more snappy and doesn't want to be touched. Luckily, she is up to date on her shots, etc. This getting old stuff really sucks sometimes.
    we had one that was good as gold until one day she bite my adult son when he pushed her over on the bed, come to find out
    she had bone cancer on her ribs that was extremely painful. We had to wait 2 weeks to have her put down so we did have a chance to spoil her first.

mom45

Momerator
    Staff member
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Nov 10, 2013
    NW of Sunshine
    we had one that was good as gold until one day she bite my adult son when he pushed her over on the bed, come to find out
    she had bone cancer on her ribs that was extremely painful. We had to wait 2 weeks to have her put down so we did have a chance to spoil her first.
    The thought has crossed my mind that she has something going on that is causing her to be cranky. They have had her 12 years and she was 9 months old when they got her. She was a bit of a biter back then, but it hadn't been an issue until a year or so ago. It is one of the reasons that putting her down may not be such a bad option. They simply aren't able to care for her very well anymore, and none of us kids can take her into our homes as she would not do well leaving them. She cannot be around other dogs or cats without attacking them. We all have grandkids now and that is a risk we won't take. The day is coming and I'm afraid it may be sooner than we wanted.

COOPADUP

Accipiter
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    9   0   0
    Aug 8, 2017
    Hamilton County
    Geez Klausm that's tough man. My little Aussie has a growth in his mouth and we are looking at an expensive surgery with no guarantee it will fix him. I'm real attached to the little guy so we will be setting that up for January.

Status
    Not open for further replies.
    Top Bottom