• ...and so much more!
  • Hoosierdood

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    8   0   0
    Nov 2, 2010
    North of you
    I know. You've never heard of "TO SERVE AND PROTECT"

They can write "To hand out lollipops and Koolaid" on the side of their cars and canvas the town with flyers saying that cops always give free candy, but that doesn't make it so.

The bottom line is that their motto for many years was "To Serve and Protect", but the SCOTUS ruled that that motto is false. Their duty is to enforce the laws of the state. (Hence the name Law Enforcement Officer)

I don't know about you but I would think that SCOTUS rulings trump whatever is written on the side of a car or on department letterheads.

:hijack:

We now return to your regularly scheduled CC/OC debate...

squirrelhntr

Shooter
    Rating - 100%
    25   0   0
    Oct 10, 2010
    n.w. indiana
    Yup...

It is a Fable I was told as a Child...
    SCOTUS Declared several Years ago that the LE Community does not serve or protect...

Yes, I understand the SCOTUS ruling, and they are correct. But if LEO's wipe some scum off the streets by enforcing the law it protects your family and mine. I appreciate their street cleaning law enforcement efforts. I won't be harassed for OC'ing cause I'd rather CC. Me gettn tired. Nigh -nite.

ATM

will argue for sammiches.
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    30   0   0
    Jul 29, 2008
    Crawfordsville
    This post is the exact reason I joined the site! To read up about topics like this.

Welcome!

...my only reservation on OC is the cops getting called because "some guy has a gun".
    Hopefully, they stick around and see that that guy still has a gun when the cops leave and figure out it's obviously not a crime.

Is there any evidence of this occurring frequently (most particularly in IN)?
    It happens, but very rarely. Check the following thread which depicts that carrying openly around Indiana is routinely an underwhelming non-issue:

https://www.indianagunowners.com/fo...elf_defense/34140-where_did_you_oc_today.html

13Hollow Points

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Feb 8, 2012
    Noblesville/Fishers
    The army doesn't conceal because everyone knows why they are there. Us citizens are just going through our daily lives and 5% of us have chosen to carry. 95% of the public does not carry. So in Rome do as the Romans, conceal so know one knows you have it until it to late for them. Just saying!!

jeremy

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    7   0   0
    Feb 18, 2008
    Fiddler's Green
    The army doesn't conceal because everyone knows why they are there. Us citizens are just going through our daily lives and 5% of us have chosen to carry. 95% of the public does not carry. So in Rome do as the Romans, conceal so know one knows you have it until it to late for them. Just saying!!
    This ain't Rome, and I ain't Italian...
    So I'll OC and Deter Crime instead of blending in with the Sheeple...

Just Saying...

Dead Duck

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    53   0   0
    Apr 1, 2011

The Purple is up by that letter "A" in your little tool bar at the top.

Just saying!! :)

thompal

Master
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Sep 27, 2008
    Beech Grove
    Yes, I understand the SCOTUS ruling, and they are correct. But if LEO's wipe some scum off the streets by enforcing the law it protects your family and mine. I appreciate their street cleaning law enforcement efforts. I won't be harassed for OC'ing cause I'd rather CC. Me gettn tired. Nigh -nite.

But, the problem is that if it's "ok" or "expected" that someone who OCs will get harassed, then it must also be "ok" and "expected" that a CCer will get harassed if his shirt rides up, or his jacket flips open, exposing the bottom of his holster.

You either have to accept that it's "ok" to be harassed for carrying, or you agree that it's NOT "ok" to be harassed for carrying.

It's not logical say think that you are safe from harassment if you legally carry using option A, but should expect to be harassed if you legally carry using option B.

squirrelhntr

Shooter
    Rating - 100%
    25   0   0
    Oct 10, 2010
    n.w. indiana
    But, the problem is that if it's "ok" or "expected" that someone who OCs will get harassed, then it must also be "ok" and "expected" that a CCer will get harassed if his shirt rides up, or his jacket flips open, exposing the bottom of his holster.

You either have to accept that it's "ok" to be harassed for carrying, or you agree that it's NOT "ok" to be harassed for carrying.

It's not logical say think that you are safe from harassment if you legally carry using option A, but should expect to be harassed if you legally carry using option B.
    I think I understand what your saying. Let me take a try at an answer. Personally, I don't care if someome wants to OC I'm fine with it. I actually like that, that OC'ing person is exercising his right to be armed. Times have to change abit before I OC. I don't want to scare, or excite timid folks. And damn sure don't want to be harassed by LEO's. so I agree that it's NOT "ok" to be harassed for carrying. LEO's are actually my employees being that they are civil servants. And I won't stand for being harassed or unlawfully detained by an uneducated employee. Neither will I take the time to educated him or her. I never said you are safe from harassment if you use option A. [CC]. The chances of getting harassed are much lower than option B.[OC]. IMO. FYI, I OC on Private property all the time. I have no problem with OC in the right enviroment where harassement would take a back seat to speed. I hope I made some sense ????? :D

Last edited:

The Glockantuan

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Feb 4, 2012
    Where do you live with a CCW license? Here in Indiana, it's just a LTCH

It is a LTCH. I guess I always figured it was a "CCW" since I was told by a range employee that concealed is the "standard form of carry" in Indiana. Is there really a difference? Would it only matter if a law came into effect that prohibited/required one form of carry or the other?

Does having a CCW limit you to only being allowed to carry concealed? :dunno::n00b:

protias

Expert
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Mar 4, 2010
    Formerly Greensburg
    It is a LTCH. I guess I always figured it was a "CCW" since I was told by a range employee that concealed is the "standard form of carry" in Indiana. Is there really a difference? Would it only matter if a law came into effect that prohibited/required one form of carry or the other?

Does having a CCW limit you to only being allowed to carry concealed? :dunno::n00b:
    On a scale of 1 to 10, people are idiots. Let me guess, he also says no one is able to do rapid fire accurately?

cotero82

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Feb 10, 2012
    A CCW license allows you to carry a handgun concealed, but within the parameters allowed by the state. Schools, certain businesses, and federal property are places you cannot carry. Anywhere else that isn't considered off limits is allowed.

jamesg

Marksman
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Dec 10, 2011
    Indiana

Indiana is silent on the issue. If you have a LTCH you can carry open or concealed. It's a License To Carry Handgun, not specific to the mode of carry.

"Indiana law is silent on this issue; however, carrying an exposed weapon in public may
    alarm some people. Also, the right to carry a firearm may be restricted on private
    property and businesses by the owners. Be attentive for signs warning of restricted
    areas when carrying firearms into public places. If approached by law enforcement for
    official business such as traffic stops or complaint related inquiries, it is recommended
    that you tell the officer in a non-threatening manner that you are carrying a weapon or
    have a weapon in the vehicle and that you have a valid permit. A law enforcement
    officer does have the right to inspect the permit. "

Source

Top Bottom