• Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • Concerned Citizen

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Sep 1, 2010
    Brownsburg
    My thoughts... If you are OC then you put yourself out there to conflict. Yes you may get the thug that changes his mind and doesnt go and rob the joint. On the other hand, if you are carrying and something goes down. You basically are automatically thrown in that situation(I know theres exceptions) because you are the first responder and the only one to counter the situation.
    If you are CC then you have the choice of being put inot that situation and weather you want to get involved.
    Yes, I know you can choose to get involved when you OC too, I just think the option is dwindled considerably.

There are exceptions to many situations. Every one is different an unique in its way.

Just my opinion. I'm going to start OC.

I'm 50/50 on the subject. I do both depending on weather/place/occasion.

Not sure how much I agree with that statement. If someone is being robbed or assulted and I'm carrying, whether CC/OC, it is my duty as a citizen to get involved & protect the sheep from the wolves. I made the choice to get involved, as soon as I made the choice to start carrying. Didn't you?

Eric05

Marksman
    Rating - 100%
    5   0   0
    Jan 9, 2012
    New Palestine
    Not sure how much I agree with that statement. If someone is being robbed or assulted and I'm carrying, whether CC/OC, it is my duty as a citizen to get involved & protect the sheep from the wolves. I made the choice to get involved, as soon as I made the choice to start carrying. Didn't you?

Yes, that would be where I would intervene. All I'm saying is being discrete is not always a bad thing. We all(armed citizens) take on that burden of helping protect ourselves, family, and innocents who couldn't defend themselves.

Hayseed_40

Expert
    Rating - 100%
    43   0   0
    Feb 1, 2010
    Strongbadia

However, for me, I cannot make such a blanket statement.

My carry priority:
    1) Protect family
    2) Protect myself (as provider of #1 above)
    3) Protect others (distant third)

Whether to fight ("intervene") or flight is situationally dependent. If my son is with me and a robbery happens, I will most likely work to get him out of the harm - this may mean something other than intervening. I do not want to be "obligated" or thrust into a position without a choice.

I am not carrying to be someones white knight or cowboy.

Eric05

Marksman
    Rating - 100%
    5   0   0
    Jan 9, 2012
    New Palestine
    However, for me, I cannot make such a blanket statement.

My carry priority:
    1) Protect family
    2) Protect myself (as provider of #1 above)
    3) Protect others (distant third)

Whether to fight ("intervene") or flight is situationally dependent. If my son is with me and a robbery happens, I will most likely work to get him out of the harm - this may mean something other than intervening. I do not want to be "obligated" or thrust into a position without a choice.

I am not carrying to be someones white knight or cowboy.

^^^^THIS^^^^:yesway:

Concerned Citizen

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Sep 1, 2010
    Brownsburg
    Excellent point Hayseed. I guess I was strictly thinking about being alone. You are 100% correct, If my family is with me, the whole priority becomes their safety first :yesway:

jamesg

Marksman
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Dec 10, 2011
    Indiana

true, but in the case of an armed holdup, and the perp was really trigger happy, don't you think he is going to take out, or at least single out the guy with a gun hanging off his hip as opposed to if he doesn't know you are carrying....I hear people talk down on the "element of surprise" factor, but there is some value in carrying concealed

that being said, i am finding myself increasingly carrying with my simple IWB holster but not really taking the time to be sure it is always completely hidden, so to the casual observer it's the same, only someone looking too hard would notice anyways for the most part

of course, the new TRUSS sling holster I ordered will make it impossible to accidentally expose unless i decide to walk out like Don from Miami Vice with the unbuttoned flower shirt, or was that Hawaii Five-O? :)

Double T

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    15   0   1
    Aug 5, 2011
    Huntington
    The conservation officer at the gas station didn't say anything...just sat there and drank his coffee. Could've been ny 3 year old getting a bug juice and candy :)

Double T

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    15   0   1
    Aug 5, 2011
    Huntington
    I like me Blackhawk Serpa and 1911...

Same gas station this weekend: a guy and I were at the Soda fountain and he asked "Is that a colt or a kimber" and I was taken aback...I didn't expect my 1st OC convo to be positive :)

Anyways, he was asking about the gun (since I paid half of Kimber prices) and I told him straight up that I like it and it's 100% functional.

Lil more small talk and he's thinking about getting his LTCH. This guy had no idea it's not a CCW permit!

+1 for OC and the educational opportunities it presents. Civvy and LEO alike ;)

The Glockantuan

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Feb 4, 2012
    This post is the exact reason I joined the site! To read up about topics like this. I know that someone is bound to get mad at me for this, because I'm sure it was talked about at some point in the 60-some pages of replies, but my only reservation on OC is the cops getting called because "some guy has a gun".

Is there any evidence of this occurring frequently (most particularly in IN)?

Thanks, and still so glad I joined.

:ingo:

Hayseed_40

Expert
    Rating - 100%
    43   0   0
    Feb 1, 2010
    Strongbadia
    This post is the exact reason I joined the site! To read up about topics like this. I know that someone is bound to get mad at me for this, because I'm sure it was talked about at some point in the 60-some pages of replies, but my only reservation on OC is the cops getting called because "some guy has a gun".

Is there any evidence of this occurring frequently (most particularly in IN)?

Thanks, and still so glad I joined.

:ingo:

:welcome:
    To the best of my knowledge there are ZERO posts on here regarding OC'ing and interactions with LEO. When they create a FAQ section, I am sure this will be part of it.

Enjoy - you can get some good info here. And, keep your hands away from ATM's mouth - he bites.

Roadie

Modus InHiatus
    Rating - 100%
    17   0   0
    Feb 20, 2009
    Beech Grove
    :welcome:
    To the best of my knowledge there are ZERO posts on here regarding OC'ing and interactions with LEO. When they create a FAQ section, I am sure this will be part of it.

Enjoy - you can get some good info here. And, keep your hands away from ATM's mouth - he bites.

More forgotten purple? :dunno: Don't confuse the n00bs :D

Top Bottom