• Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • mk2ja

Master
    Rating - 100%
    14   0   0
    Aug 20, 2009
    North Carolina
    Hi, my name is mk2ja, and I'm a recovering CC-only-er.

It's been 18 hours since my last CC. But I'm pleased to say that I immediately OC'd afterwards to make up for it.

Double T

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    15   0   1
    Aug 5, 2011
    Huntington
    I oc'd at a different local gas station, and some guy ran out disgusted giving my wife dirty looks...

Makes the cashiers smile though :)

I still feel like a criminal hiding my sidearm whenever I CC, just one guys take on it though.

Boost Lee

Expert
    Rating - 100%
    16   0   0
    Jul 24, 2011
    Greenwood, IN
    I also feel like I'm doing something wrong when I CC.
    Literally makes me feel like a criminal like I'm TRYING to HIDE SOMETHING....

You see what I did there? :rockwoot:

tdoom15

Marksman
    Rating - 100%
    23   0   0
    Jan 12, 2012
    I occasionally see someone strapped like marshal Dillon and I don't mind it a bit. I am not intimidated or insulted. Unfortunately the general public is different. when I am behind the oc guy at the gas station I will see children backing against the shelves with their eyes wide, women scurrying to the exits and grown men breaking down and crying. It is ridiculous, but people can be ridiculous. This is why I don't open carry. I understand that I CAN open carry just like I CAN wear a speedo at the pool. I wouldn't do that either, its just compassion for the average citizen. Will you guys who do oc please explain why? Is it a social/political statement? is it an act of contempt for the public? is it simply because your favorite gun is just so damn big? Don't misunderstand me, I am not degrading or judging open carry. I just want to understand what the benefits are when the liabilities are so obvious. I read here about people getting thrown out of stores, their friends berating them and police treating them like gangsters. Ok, so what is the up-side?

The only real upside to OC imo is the possibility of scaring would be criminals on to the next target, but there are other ways of doing this as well. Stand tall, make eye contact, let people know you are looking around and that you see them...these are all excellent ways of not presenting yourself as a target.

The reasons I personally CCW:
    I dont want the uneccessary attention, I just dont.
    I want to keep the element of suprise
    I don't want to be identified as the top threat in a bad situation
    I don't want my gun exposed for the taking (I know there is a ridiculous argument against this)

I fully support everyone's right to OC, but the reason I carry a gun is to protect myself, my family, and anyone around me. I find that I have the greater advantage in doing so by keeping my weapon concealed.

tdoom15

Marksman
    Rating - 100%
    23   0   0
    Jan 12, 2012
    There are arguments against most of your reasons (found in the essay on post #1), did you read it?

What makes these arguments ridiculous in your opinion?

That it "never" happens. It's not likely you'll ever need to pull your gun either is it? So may as well just not carry it if that's the thinking.

Who is the source of this article anyway? Is it anyone of merit, or just a random person's thoughts?

ATM

will argue for sammiches.
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    30   0   0
    Jul 29, 2008
    Crawfordsville
    That it "never" happens. It's not likely you'll ever need to pull your gun either is it? So may as well just not carry it if that's the thinking.

If there was any realistic benefit one could gain by not carrying, that would approach comparing apples to apples. Do you have any problem with that one besides the staggering infrequency?

What about the other arguments as well?

Who is the source of this article anyway? Is it anyone of merit, or just a random person's thoughts?

Everyone is a random person. Merit and discussion should pertain to the thoughts and ideas themselves lest we follow our personal heroes off a cliff when they err.

Source link is in the OP.

KG1

Forgotten Man
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    66   0   0
    Jan 20, 2009
    The only real upside to OC imo is the possibility of scaring would be criminals on to the next target, but there are other ways of doing this as well. Stand tall, make eye contact, let people know you are looking around and that you see them...these are all excellent ways of not presenting yourself as a target.

The reasons I personally CCW:
    I dont want the uneccessary attention, I just dont.
    I want to keep the element of suprise
    I don't want to be identified as the top threat in a bad situation
    I don't want my gun exposed for the taking (I know there is a ridiculous argument against this)

I fully support everyone's right to OC, but the reason I carry a gun is to protect myself, my family, and anyone around me. I find that I have the greater advantage in doing so by keeping my weapon concealed.
    Oh I think there have been plenty of instance where someone has stood tall and made eye contact with a criminal thug type only to get a "What'chu look'in at!?!" then comes the beat down.

Might as well cross that off the list along with your opinion for not OC'ing too. :dunno:

blamecharles

Master
    Rating - 100%
    11   0   0
    Oct 9, 2011
    South side of Indian

Why the anger though, that is the question? You say you don't care but the anger/hostility is still there. Why do you care how i carry my pistol? I don't care how you carry at all, i would never tell you that you shouldn't carry CC.

tdoom15

Marksman
    Rating - 100%
    23   0   0
    Jan 12, 2012
    If there was any realistic benefit one could gain by not carrying, that would approach comparing apples to apples. Do you have any problem with that one besides the staggering infrequency?

What about the other arguments as well?

If it has happened before, it could happen to me. Saying that it never happens is a relative argument, and a chance that I'm just not willing to make. You do what you will, I have no issue with it.

People who don't carry guns say, "nothing ever happens to me". That's fine, chances are they're right. Again, do what you will, and I will do what I feel is best.

Oh I think there have been plenty of instance where someone has stood tall and made eye contact with a criminal thug type only to get a "What'chu look'in at!?!" then comes the beat down.

Might as well cross that off the list along with your opinion for not OC'ing too. :dunno:

You misunderstood my statement. Take any training class and they will tell you the same thing. Stand tall, be alert, dont present yourself as an easy target. As in don't walk down the street with a hood on and your head down staring at your feet, this makes you an easy target.

Why the anger though, that is the question? You say you don't care but the anger/hostility is still there. Why do you care how i carry my pistol? I don't care how you carry at all, i would never tell you that you shouldn't carry CC.

What anger? I didn't say you shouldn't OC, infact I said you do what you want to do. I'm for the rights of both, but for me, I find it to my advantage to CC. Infact, this board is the only forum I know where OC seems to be the popular choice. Reputable places like M4carbine, pistol-training, THR...all seem to favor CC.

blamecharles

Master
    Rating - 100%
    11   0   0
    Oct 9, 2011
    South side of Indian
    What anger? I didn't say you shouldn't OC, infact I said you do what you want to do. I'm for the rights of both, but for me, I find it to my advantage to CC. Infact, this board is the only forum I know where OC seems to be the popular choice.Hard to see tone in the words, so i apologize to you if i implied a tone that wasn't present.

Reputable places like M4carbine, pistol-training, THR...all seem to favor CC.
    Are you saying we aren't reputable? And do they favor bacon?

:dunno:

tdoom15

Marksman
    Rating - 100%
    23   0   0
    Jan 12, 2012
    @blamecharles....not at all, I think this is one the best state forums out there and glad to be apart of it! I'm just saying other reputable places seem to favor the CC side of things, as do I. We all support gun rights and the ability to carry how you see fit.

Each individual must weigh his needs and decide what is best for them and their day to day. For me, that happens to be CC. For someone else, OC may have more advantages. I spend a lot of time in indianapolis within arms length of people, it's just my personal preference. At the rate of declining morals by some in this country, things seem to be getting worse and thugs are becoming more bold. This is how I measure my choice, someone in a different situation (or even the same) may see it differently, and it's up to them to decide what is best.

blamecharles

Master
    Rating - 100%
    11   0   0
    Oct 9, 2011
    South side of Indian
    @blamecharles....not at all, I think this is one the best state forums out there and glad to be apart of it! I'm just saying other reputable places seem to favor the CC side of things, as do I. We all support gun rights and the ability to carry how you see fit.

Each individual must weigh his needs and decide what is best for them and their day to day. For me, that happens to be CC. For someone else, OC may have more advantages. I spend a lot of time in indianapolis within arms length of people, it's just my personal preference. At the rate of declining morals by some in this country, things seem to be getting worse and thugs are becoming more bold. This is how I measure my choice, someone in a different situation (or even the same) may see it differently, and it's up to them to decide what is best.

On all of this we agree.

ETA: Remember though some of the other sites may have people that live in states that dont allow OC. We do here so that is why you see the argument here.

ATM

will argue for sammiches.
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    30   0   0
    Jul 29, 2008
    Crawfordsville
    If it has happened before, it could happen to me. Saying that it never happens is a relative argument, and a chance that I'm just not willing to make. You do what you will, I have no issue with it.

I'd like to be prepared for anything, but that which I prepare for specifically must be weighted to counter the most probable and devastating threats before considering lesser probabilities or the remotely obscure.

When a choice exists and evidence suggests that the choice could be a liability or a benefit in differing scenarios, I make the choice that I believe will afford me some benefit in the most likely circumstances.

If I find myself in a scenario where it is more likely to become a liability, perhaps I have time to switch from my default choice to address the unusual circumstance. I have no issue with your weighing them differently for your own circumstances - you absolutely should.

People who don't carry guns say, "nothing ever happens to me". That's fine, chances are they're right. Again, do what you will, and I will do what I feel is best.

It is not logical to hold one's own experience, or especially the lack thereof, as a superior method to contradict evidenced statistics and known facts.

And of course, we all do what we feel is best, but discussing the reasons we believe our choices are best, rather than simply defending our choice to do so, is a worthwhile conversation IMO.

...Reputable places like M4carbine, pistol-training, THR...all seem to favor CC.

How reputable can they be if I'm not there? :):

Yes, the majority of the gun carrying population favors concealed carry

...but very few can tell you why they feel that way beyond stumbling through the same tires lines this essay addressed. ;)

Top Bottom