• ...and so much more!
  • Lock load

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Apr 12, 2012
    Mishawaka IN
    For me oc is mostly about comfort.
    I don't oc everywhere I go but wish I felt more comfortable around people when I do. I've never been the type of person that has liked drawing attention to myself.
    Unfortunately society has gotten to the point where even a lot of us law abiding responsible gun owners feel like we are doing something wrong by carrying a gun in public.
    What I think we need is more people OCing and have it become common place enough that the general public gets used to it and doesn't freak out everytime they see a firearm.

88GT

Grandmaster
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Mar 29, 2010
    Familyfriendlyville
    I *want* the general public to become more familiar with seeing people openly carrying performing every day tasks so that it becomes more normal.

I like to think I'm doing my part to educate by representing something contradictory to their paradigm. All without having to say a word. I've seen people look and look again, but nobody has said anything to date.

TruxLupus

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Feb 17, 2012
    For me oc is mostly about comfort.
    I don't oc everywhere I go but wish I felt more comfortable around people when I do. I've never been the type of person that has liked drawing attention to myself.
    Unfortunately society has gotten to the point where even a lot of us law abiding responsible gun owners feel like we are doing something wrong by carrying a gun in public.
    What I think we need is more people OCing and have it become common place enough that the general public gets used to it and doesn't freak out everytime they see a firearm.

I had those feelings when I first started OCing.

They vanish in about 2-3 days. Of course I live pretty rural, the largest town I visit on a semi-regular basis has a population of less than 15,000 - it helps when other citizens don't have much of a reaction at all.

Still, the only advice I can give, is just starting doing it on a regular basis. You get pretty comfortable with it rather quickly.

Another thing that helped at the beginning is that I try to mostly shop where I can bring my pet dog. He's a conversation starter so that helps you have normal conversations with other people that don't revolve around your sidearm. It feels more "normal."

LanceRobbins24

Marksman
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Nov 22, 2008
    South Bend
    https://www.indianagunowners.com/fo...lf_defense/71996-the_open_carry_argument.html

Everything you need to know.

For me, a small part of the reason I don't make any specific effort to CC is BECAUSE people are uncomfortable with OC. I *want* the general public to become more familiar with seeing people openly carrying performing every day tasks so that it becomes more normal.

The more people see this the less irrational fear there will be.

We see news articles all the time "gunman slaughters eight co-workers" - and that's what people association anyone wearing a gun with. How about..."gunman buys a loaf of bread" or "gunman orders number 8 special large" or "gunman browses local wal-mart for new shirt."

That said I've only ever gotten a few wayward glances and 95% of the time people speak to me at the same frequency I would be spoken to otherwise - i.e., it doesn't seem people avoid me at all just because I have a gun on my hip.

Ditto! +1

Boost Lee

Expert
    Rating - 100%
    16   0   0
    Jul 24, 2011
    Greenwood, IN
    Bacon sex.
    Crisco and twister game.
    Sexy bacon.
    Stfu & myob.

Great tags.... :laugh:

I do it for comfort. Many over analyze the concept of OC'ing and why someone does it.

Yes, some like to show off their 1911 in all it's glory...
    Yes, some like to exercise their right (a right not exercised is a right lost; fact)...

The truth is? I am not a criminal and I have nothing to hide.

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jan 21, 2011
    Wow. I didn't know there were 84 pages of this stuff. I read the article and it is indeed everything I needed to know about oc. When I got back, my post had been moved. It was difficult to find my place. I understand that I was the dead horse that had already been beaten but perhaps shunting the question to this endless thread is not the best way to get rid of a dead horse. Perhaps posting the article titled "why we open carry" would of been a way avoid repeating all 84 pages of answers? (oops! now I see it in the sticky list, thanks!)

protias

Expert
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Mar 4, 2010
    Formerly Greensburg
    I occasionally see someone strapped like marshal Dillon and I don't mind it a bit. I am not intimidated or insulted. Unfortunately the general public is different. when I am behind the oc guy at the gas station I will see children backing against the shelves with their eyes wide, women scurrying to the exits and grown men breaking down and crying. It is ridiculous, but people can be ridiculous. This is why I don't open carry. I understand that I CAN open carry just like I CAN wear a speedo at the pool. I wouldn't do that either, its just compassion for the average citizen. Will you guys who do oc please explain why? Is it a social/political statement? is it an act of contempt for the public? is it simply because your favorite gun is just so damn big? Don't misunderstand me, I am not degrading or judging open carry. I just want to understand what the benefits are when the liabilities are so obvious. I read here about people getting thrown out of stores, their friends berating them and police treating them like gangsters. Ok, so what is the up-side?

I've never had issues with John Q Public. In fact, I've had a number thanking me for doing it.

It's a sticky at the top of the forum. Pretty easy to find, IMHO.
    shh, those are the hardest to find. :p

gvsugod

Expert
    Rating - 100%
    13   0   1
    Mar 19, 2012
    SW Indianapolis
    I usually CC. For no other reason then of sheer habit, in Michigan (where I am from) while OC is not illegal, its def not worth the trouble, you will be harassed by citizens and LEO. I do OC sometimes, depending on where I am going.

protias

Expert
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Mar 4, 2010
    Formerly Greensburg

Titanium_Frost

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    35   0   0
    Feb 6, 2011
    Southwestern Indiana
    I occasionally see someone strapped like marshal Dillon and I don't mind it a bit. I am not intimidated or insulted. Unfortunately the general public is different. when I am behind the oc guy at the gas station I will see children backing against the shelves with their eyes wide, women scurrying to the exits and grown men breaking down and crying. It is ridiculous, but people can be ridiculous. This is why I don't open carry. I understand that I CAN open carry just like I CAN wear a speedo at the pool. I wouldn't do that either, its just compassion for the average citizen. Will you guys who do oc please explain why? Is it a social/political statement? is it an act of contempt for the public? is it simply because your favorite gun is just so damn big? Don't misunderstand me, I am not degrading or judging open carry. I just want to understand what the benefits are when the liabilities are so obvious. I read here about people getting thrown out of stores, their friends berating them and police treating them like gangsters. Ok, so what is the up-side?

I was OCing on my walk around the neighborhood last night with my wife and 1 year old son. Several kids 6-10 years old saw my gun and a little girl exclaimed loudly, "Hey! You have a gun?" I said yep and so does she, pointing to my wife. "COOL!!! Can I have one?"

(Luckily I realized she was well over the 5 year threat barrier)

Top Bottom