• Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • CPT Nervous

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    17   0   0
    Mar 7, 2012
    The Southern Bend
    I definitely need to get a retention holster.

I haven't been open carrying much recently, but every so often I get the itch. Currently I have a Raven Concealment Systems owb holster for my G19, but there's no retention at all.

I've been looking at both the Safariland ALS and the Blackhawk Serpa but haven't landed on one over the other.

Blackhawk = :noway:

ALS all the way.

protias

Expert
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Mar 4, 2010
    Formerly Greensburg
    Here's a good article from The Truth About Guns.

Guns for Beginners: Three Ways to Make Open Carry Safer

By Robert Farago on November 19, 2015

"In the latest edition of Guns magazine, Massad Ayoob offer some cautionary tales of open carry gone wrong. They’re not very many and they’re not very convincing. The gun guru only provides one clear example of a gun snatch from an average open carrier. The bad guy shot and killed him with his own gun."

When was the OCer shot with his own gun? I don't remember that happening.

Dead Duck

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    53   0   0
    Apr 1, 2011
    I got mine for around $30. I cannot understand why people still carry Blackhawks.

I still do.
    I've carried and trained with Blackhawks for so long I've been hesitant on changing. I've heard all the neg. Isn't it mostly shooting your leg while holstering. I don't plan on quick "Holstering" my gun anytime soon.
    Are the ALSs really that much better? I've never held one in person to compare. :dunno:

CPT Nervous

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    17   0   0
    Mar 7, 2012
    The Southern Bend
    I still do.
    I've carried and trained with Blackhawks for so long I've been hesitant on changing. I've heard all the neg. Isn't it mostly shooting your leg while holstering. I don't plan on quick "Holstering" my gun anytime soon.
    Are the ALSs really that much better? I've never held one in person to compare. :dunno:

That's not my issue with it. It has been proven that debris can become lodged behind the release button on a SERPA, and put it out of commission. Not likely, but it is a potential issue. I do not want a holster that has any potential to not release my gun.

If you're fighting on the ground with someone, dirt, mud, rocks, even snow, can lock up your holster. The Safariland does not have that problem.

Aside from that, I just like it better.

rhino

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    24   0   0
    Mar 18, 2008
    Indiana
    I still do.

Yes, the ALS is that much better.

1. The ALS mechanism is more robust and less likely to fail due to debris being caught in it.
    2. The switch for the ALS is essentially hidden and difficult to access by another person due to its location.
    3. The location of the ALS lever is right where your thumb hits anyway. Very little "retraining" is needed to learn how to use it. For some people, the SERPA button is not in the same spot where their trigger finger rests when they get a firing grip.
    4. The belt attachments are sturdier for the Safariland. I don't know of anyone who has broken the Safariland. I have a buddy who was a contractor in Iraq who was issued a SERPA. He caught it on the frame of a vehicle when exiting and only retained his pistol because of the tether he had attached.

CPT Nervous

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    17   0   0
    Mar 7, 2012
    The Southern Bend
    Yes, the ALS is that much better.

1. The ALS mechanism is more robust and less likely to fail due to debris being caught in it.
    2. The switch for the ALS is essentially hidden and difficult to access by another person due to its location.
    3. The location of the ALS lever is right where your thumb hits anyway. Very little "retraining" is needed to learn how to use it. For some people, the SERPA button is not in the same spot where their trigger finger rests when they get a firing grip.
    4. The belt attachments are sturdier for the Safariland. I don't know of anyone who has broken the Safariland. I have a buddy who was a contractor in Iraq who was issued a SERPA. He caught it on the frame of a vehicle when exiting and only retained his pistol because of the tether he had attached.

I was going to add something about robustness. I have seen a couple SERPAs break off of the platform. The Safariland is much more sturdy.

Top Bottom