• Status
    Not open for further replies.

X piller X

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Jan 3, 2014
    Indy
    Well, the trailer was to drag the GMC Jimmy back home from Indy so we could take the tranny out and get it rebuilt...that definitely would not fit in a trunk. The tranny was actually in the back of the truck.

I don't drive anything that HAS A trunk so I guess we just like to think big! If it fits in a pickup or a big honkin' Suburban...I can haul it!!

My homemade bread and hooch would fit in a trunk I suppose. :banana:

Not to be smart, but wouldn't a used transmission of cost less than getting that one rebuilt? Least it was that way with the engine and trans both in my honda.

mom45

Momerator
    Staff member
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Nov 10, 2013
    NW of Sunshine
    Howdy mom! How's hubby doing? I was reading that your helping trannys get from Indy to Knox! I didn't even know Knox were low on trannys. But sure is nice of you to give them a ride!

He is supposed to be getting scheduled for a colonoscopy...he just can't wait! In the meantime, we are hauling broken trannys (attached to vehicles) cause apparently we have nothing better to do! The tranny is now removed and at the tranny guy's house to be rebuilt.

My son now has MY truck with stern warnings not to damage her. I would be driving the suburban we just bought, but oh my...there is still salt on the road and we can't have that getting on her! I think I am driving old Rusty tomorrow if I have to go anywhere...hope I don't get arrested and the cab doesn't roll off when I turn a corner! She's a sight to see for sure! All of my trucks are girls....don't know why, but they are. Maybe cause they are temperamental at times. :D

mom45

Momerator
    Staff member
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Nov 10, 2013
    NW of Sunshine
    Not to be smart, but wouldn't a used transmission of cost less than getting that one rebuilt? Least it was that way with the engine and trans both in my honda.

It MIGHt be if we could find one that has the weak link already fixed. It appears that this is a VERY common problem in these transmissions and we did not want to chance putting in a used one to save a few hundred dollars just to have to repeat this whole round trip to Indy to pick the car back up or have my son stranded somewhere. Our friend is rebuilding it with all the upgraded parts for $800 so can't really complain about that price. My husband removed it and is going to put it back in when it comes back to us. In the mean time, he is going to replace the rear main seal since he already has everything out of the way. We actually discussed that option, but didn't feel the savings was worth the risk. Our goal in giving this car to my son was so that he would have reliable transportation while he is in school. He is working full time and supporting himself (paying his own way through school) so doesn't have anything extra to buy a car right now and his old boat (aka 1986 Crown Vic) is no longer safe to drive...rusted away.

Status
    Not open for further replies.
    Top Bottom