Not open for further replies.

jagee

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    26   0   0
    Jan 19, 2013
    New Palestine
    That's cheating! Its a lot of fun and much more satisfying IMO to do stuff like that yourself! Not to mention a LOT cheaper. Either way, sounds really cool.

I don't have the facilities or the know-how to do that. Also missing out on the welding skills to make a custom frame.

If I could make it out of dirt and concrete I'd have no problem...

Suprtek

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Nov 27, 2009
    Wanamaker
    I don't have the facilities or the know-how to do that. Also missing out on the welding skills to make a custom frame.

If I could make it out of dirt and concrete I'd have no problem...

Even if you had to buy the custom frame, I'm sure it would still be cheaper. If you have a place to store a bike, you have a place to work on one. The "know how" can be found on this cool invention called the interwebs. All that being said, I completely understand the appeal of having someone else do the work if you can afford it. It can be difficult finding someone you can trust though. I once built a really cool custom sandrail in my garage. I've always been mechanically inclined and good with tools but I had no idea what I was doing on this project when I started. I just did a lot of research and took my time. It was one of the most satisfying projects I ever did.

jagee

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    26   0   0
    Jan 19, 2013
    New Palestine
    The owner of that shop is a friend of a friend. They have done me right on some other stuff in the past. I trust them, and my friend (who I trust) trusts them. It isn't one of those high end shops out to be on TV and screw the customer, these guys are local neighborhood guys that look out for each other.

I've thought about doing it myself, but it would just be easier to say "do this" and they build it for me

churchmouse

I still care....Really
    Emeritus
    Rating - 100%
    187   0   0
    Dec 7, 2011
    Speedway area
    Bobbers are most cool. I spent way to many thousands of miles on a hard tail at a very young age.....Reference the movie "Easy Rider" and imagine the bike Dennis Hopper rode and you are looking at my 1st full sized Harley. I rode it from here to Key west with many stops. Back up through Florida over to Arizona. Stayed with friends for a good bit and moved on down the Baja Peninsula to San Josa and back up to LA. Back over the Rockies to indy . Cleared the mountains in a snow storm. Got home.....sold that Damned hard tail......My back will never be the same again.......:faint:

Bobbers are cool and all...BUT

jagee

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    26   0   0
    Jan 19, 2013
    New Palestine
    Bobbers are most cool. I spent way to many thousands of miles on a hard tail at a very young age.....Reference the movie "Easy Rider" and imagine the bike Dennis Hopper rode and you are looking at my 1st full sized Harley. I rode it from here to Key west with many stops. Back up through Florida over to Arizona. Stayed with friends for a good bit and moved on down the Baja Peninsula to San Josa and back up to LA. Back over the Rockies to indy . Cleared the mountains in a snow storm. Got home.....sold that Damned hard tail......My back will never be the same again.......:faint:

Bobbers are cool and all...BUT

I'm keeping the bagger!

Bobber is for around town show-off kind of stuff. Bagger is for hardcore riding (if you want to call it that without the hard tail)

churchmouse

I still care....Really
    Emeritus
    Rating - 100%
    187   0   0
    Dec 7, 2011
    Speedway area
    I'm keeping the bagger!

Bobber is for around town show-off kind of stuff. Bagger is for hardcore riding (if you want to call it that without the hard tail)

Nothing looks better than a wishbone down-tube hard tail....nothing.
    Nothing rides worse that a wishbone down-tube hard tail...nothing.

The chopper in the movie Ghost rider just my winkie silly....love the lines.
    Mine was a jockey shift.

mom45

Momerator
    Staff member
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Nov 10, 2013
    NW of Sunshine
    Hey Mom....damn nice looking truck. Hubby got skills......:woot:

I love those old slab side chevy's

He always says he can pull wrenches all day long but doesn't consider himself a body man. I keep telling him he is selling himself short. He doesn't like doing body work, but it turned out really nice. He put all the receipts in a coffee can as he did it, but I don't think he has ever added them up. I know where it is, if something ever happens and I need to know what he has in it, but I don't think he really WANTS to know. It is fun to drive around in...sounds really good!

Suprtek

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Nov 27, 2009
    Wanamaker
    My biggest bike project was an old Honda Goldwing. I removed the entire fuel and intake system. I replaced the 4 worn out carbs with a custom manifold and one big Holly carb. No more carb syncing! That mod alone took over 50 pounds from the bike. Then I replaced the heavy cast exhaust manifolds and stock exhaust system with an aftermarket Jardine system. That took off another 50 pounds. After stripping off all the remaining excess weight from the bags and fairings, I ended up with a 1979 Goldwing that would easily lift the front wheel off the ground in first or second gear. Goldwings aren't supposed to do that. Especially "oldwings"! That was another really satisfying project. I sold that bike for what I had in it (including all $$ spent on upgrades), which means I basically drove it for free the whole time I had it. Fun times...

Status
    Not open for further replies.
    Top Bottom