• Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • thunderchicken

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    5   0   0
    Feb 26, 2010
    Indianapolis
    Asking about a budget gun on INGO is like asking about a budget auto at a Ferrari dealership. What you want ain’t squat, and even good or great isn’t good enough.

Read the whole thread in about two more weeks, do some intense research. Then make your decision based on what your gut, heart, and wallet tells you.

Now admitting I don’t know anything about Indi. Gun Club, I’ve read enough posts from the fellows that have recommended them, from there postings I respect there opinions enough to include that in my research.

Just my 2 cents, a plain old probably used post 2013 Ruger Red Label will perform well until the young gentleman is ready to move up on his own. You can now watch and see how wrong I am.

When my wife and I go out back to bust some clay birds, (several times a year) I still use an old Mod.11 REM in 20 ga. My wife uses an old Stevens Fox Mod. B Side by Side in 12 ga. We seem to each break a few birds.

Best of luck to you.
    Alright you asked for it lol.
    Yes, a Ruger Red Label in good condition would be a fine option for someone starting out in any clays game. Yes, for most casual clay busters who only shoot a few times per year almost any shotgun will work. There are plenty of guns that have withstood thousands upon thousands of rounds and are still kicking.
    But, in this case we're talking about a collegiate shooter who will likely be practicing a lot and shooting competition. That calls for a gun that's specifically built to handle the much higher volume of shooting than what most casual shooters will put through their guns.
    At least to some extent, you really do get what you pay for.

I will say the absolute most important thing though is gun fit. If a person is going to shoot high volumes of shells the gun has to fit properly. A poor fitting shotgun can be miserable to shoot. So if the budget allows, having a gun with some adjustability is worth it.

Reactions: Mij

Mij

Permaplinker
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    May 22, 2022
    In the corn and beans
    Alright you asked for it lol.
    Yes, a Ruger Red Label in good condition would be a fine option for someone starting out in any clays game. Yes, for most casual clay busters who only shoot a few times per year almost any shotgun will work. There are plenty of guns that have withstood thousands upon thousands of rounds and are still kicking.
    But, in this case we're talking about a collegiate shooter who will likely be practicing a lot and shooting competition. That calls for a gun that's specifically built to handle the much higher volume of shooting than what most casual shooters will put through their guns.
    At least to some extent, you really do get what you pay for.

I will say the absolute most important thing though is gun fit. If a person is going to shoot high volumes of shells the gun has to fit properly. A poor fitting shotgun can be miserable to shoot. So if the budget allows, having a gun with some adjustability is worth it.
    Sir, I definitely do appreciate your words. And past that I agree with you 100%.

I can’t speak to competition, I’ve never been there. Just trying to give some good old time practical advice.

I can say I’ve owned my Mod. 11 for over 50 years. Bought it almost new, or slightly used in the late 70’s. Have shot thousands of my reloads thru it. Thousands of K-mart field loads. My wife’s Mod. B was my dad’s gun, he only squirrel hunted so not so many shells. My RRL, maybe 5-6 hundred.

I would not even suggest either of these guns for a skeet gun.

My point was to the OP, he doesn’t have to spend thousands of dollars for a good, budget, skeet gun for his son while he is spending multiple thousands of dollars for a college education.

The INGO community (in my experience) will say if it’s not the latest and greatest gold plated masterpiece, it’s not good enough. And I come by my opinion honestly. I once said I carry a 5 shot J frame as my EDC, you would think I killed your pet kitty. You should have read the wailing and out cry telling me I was gonna die. Still makes me laugh.

Well enough response, good evening to you. I only hope the skeet snobs will allow the father to keep out of the poor house without making him feel like “he” failed his son.

thunderchicken

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    5   0   0
    Feb 26, 2010
    Indianapolis
    Sir, I definitely do appreciate your words. And past that I agree with you 100%.

I can’t speak to competition, I’ve never been there. Just trying to give some good old time practical advice.

I can say I’ve owned my Mod. 11 for over 50 years. Bought it almost new, or slightly used in the late 70’s. Have shot thousands of my reloads thru it. Thousands of K-mart field loads. My wife’s Mod. B was my dad’s gun, he only squirrel hunted so not so many shells. My RRL, maybe 5-6 hundred.

I would not even suggest either of these guns for a skeet gun.

My point was to the OP, he doesn’t have to spend thousands of dollars for a good, budget, skeet gun for his son while he is spending multiple thousands of dollars for a college education.

The INGO community (in my experience) will say if it’s not the latest and greatest gold plated masterpiece, it’s not good enough. And I come by my opinion honestly. I once said I carry a 5 shot J frame as my EDC, you would think I killed your pet kitty. You should have read the wailing and out cry telling me I was gonna die. Still makes me laugh.

Well enough response, good evening to you. I only hope the skeet snobs will allow the father to keep out of the poor house without making him feel like “he” failed his son.
    We're on the same page. I agree that there are many options that are capable of breaking skeet targets without spending thousands of dollars.

Reactions: Mij

Site Supporter

INGO Supporter

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members
    Latest member
    Trencher
    Top Bottom