Not open for further replies.

GLOCKMAN23C

Resident Dumbass II
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    22   0   0
    Feb 8, 2009
    S.E. Indy
    Those trucks are lucky to get 10 MPG especially if they are out of tune.
    A good friend has an 87 Suburban he uses to pull a pop up camper. Says it gets 10 MPG sitting, idling, driving or towing........:)

Very true, I had a '90 that got 12going downhill with a tailwind. (c1500p/u)

mom45

Momerator
    Staff member
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Nov 10, 2013
    NW of Sunshine
    Those trucks are lucky to get 10 MPG especially if they are out of tune.
    A good friend has an 87 Suburban he uses to pull a pop up camper. Says it gets 10 MPG sitting, idling, driving or towing........:)

Is an 87 fuel injected or just a carb? Our 88 pickup gets over 18 most of the time so I was thinking this would be closer to 15 at least. It is an 89 so it is fuel injected. Our 83 pickup gets about 12. The 78 is much worse but she's grounded to the farm now. She is falling off the frame and every time we turn a corner, we expect the cab to just roll off the truck! She stays on the farm now. Good for patrolling the woods. I don't have to worry about scratching the paint on branches since there's no paint left.

churchmouse

I still care....Really
    Emeritus
    Rating - 100%
    187   0   0
    Dec 7, 2011
    Speedway area
    Is an 87 fuel injected or just a carb? Our 88 pickup gets over 18 most of the time so I was thinking this would be closer to 15 at least. It is an 89 so it is fuel injected. Our 83 pickup gets about 12. The 78 is much worse but she's grounded to the farm now. She is falling off the frame and every time we turn a corner, we expect the cab to just roll off the truck! She stays on the farm now. Good for patrolling the woods. I don't have to worry about scratching the paint on branches since there's no paint left.

My 04 GMC (4WD) is lucky to get 17 on the hi-way running the cruise control. Might see 18 on level ground. It is a 5.2 and I am sure pulling the extra 4WD gear around has an effect on over all mileage.
    My van averaged 14.3 on a 4 K mile road trip.
    The fuel injection on the older Chevy's is a throttle body unit not unlike a carburetor with the injectors in the air stream. Not as efficient as direct injection on the newer models.
    Not trying to talk you out of the truck. Wish you luck.

If it is an 87 it could be carbed.

metaldog

Master
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Jul 31, 2013
    Indy
    My 1988 Dodge Dakota (3.9 V6) averages 20-22 MPG HWY. Closer to 16-18 in town.

2chkzue.jpg

mom45

Momerator
    Staff member
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Nov 10, 2013
    NW of Sunshine
    My 04 GMC (4WD) is lucky to get 17 on the hi-way running the cruise control. Might see 18 on level ground. It is a 5.2 and I am sure pulling the extra 4WD gear around has an effect on over all mileage.
    My van averaged 14.3 on a 4 K mile road trip.
    The fuel injection on the older Chevy's is a throttle body unit not unlike a carburetor with the injectors in the air stream. Not as efficient as direct injection on the newer models.
    Not trying to talk you out of the truck. Wish you luck.

If it is an 87 it could be carbed.

All of our vehicles are 2wd. Hubby refuses to maintain 4wd and deal with the lower mileage just to have 4wd on the rare occasion you might need it. We've never been stranded so 2wd has worked for us for a long time. Even my Jimmy is 2wd...took a year and a half to find one in good shape without 4wd but I did it.

This is the truck I am looking at today. 1989 Chevy Suburban Original

So...it will depend on whether or not they are willing to accept what we are offering and what hubby decides since he is the one who will get to work on it when needed. I am just not seeing anything in this kind of condition...even the newer ones. They all have a million miles on them.

He has always said when we replace the Jimmy we are going older but maybe he will change his mind? He hates working on the newer stuff with everything crammed in under the hood.

We shall see....if it is meant to be, we will buy it. If not, we will have lunch out and enjoy the day. :):

mom45

Momerator
    Staff member
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Nov 10, 2013
    NW of Sunshine
    My 88 Chevy Silverado averages 18 or better. I think the best I have done with it is around 23 when I road trip to see my son. That truck gets me in trouble though. It is happiest cruising at 70 and police don't appreciate that. They can also see whether or not I have my seatbelt on so I end up contributing to what I call their seatbelt fund.

metaldog

Master
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Jul 31, 2013
    Indy
    My 88 Chevy Silverado averages 18 or better. I think the best I have done with it is around 23 when I road trip to see my son. That truck gets me in trouble though. It is happiest cruising at 70 and police don't appreciate that. They can also see whether or not I have my seatbelt on so I end up contributing to what I call their seatbelt fund.
    There's just something to said for an older vehicle though.
    1. They don't make as good a quality now.
    2. Older usually is easier to work on. Like you said.
    3. Simple, no-frills point a-b transportation. Less bells & whistles to break or go wrong.
    I make regular trips to/from Indy/Bloomington. My old Dodge burns 1/4 tank round-trip on average. I don't drive older rides because I have to. Its a choice! I just prefer older stuff.:)

mom45

Momerator
    Staff member
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Nov 10, 2013
    NW of Sunshine
    There's just something to said for an older vehicle though.
    1. They don't make as good a quality now.
    2. Older usually is easier to work on. Like you said.
    3. Simple, no-frills point a-b transportation. Less bells & whistles to break or go wrong.
    I make regular trips to/from Indy/Bloomington. My old Dodge burns 1/4 tank round-trip on average. I don't drive older rides because I have to. Its a choice! I just prefer older stuff.:)

Yep...that's my thinking. He has the timing light ready and his valve gauge to check engine compression. BBL

metaldog

Master
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Jul 31, 2013
    Indy
    Yep...that's my thinking. He has the timing light ready and his valve gauge to check engine compression. BBL
    Good man! Does he have the automotive stethoscope with him too? There's a tool that comes in handy, sometimes!:D
    Also, odds are with that Chevy being an '89, it is fuel injected. Good lookin truck! Hope it works out for you.

Status
    Not open for further replies.
    Top Bottom