Not open for further replies.

actaeon277

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Nov 20, 2011
    Merrillville
    US Steel is now officially under water!!

Ugly......plant shut down??????

Should they be any different than the rest of Indiana? I just heard the wicker furniture blow over on the porch and the wind is whipping in the chimney.

Not yet! But they do have a policy of not taking liquid metal over water. This whole place is open water!!

I would be the coolest guy at US Steel for sure!! , , wait, I already am!

Yup, hot steel and water. Bad combination.
    Went through 2 bad ones at #1 BOP. I had to replace an instrument 100 foot above the furnace. The explosion had that much force, even after going through several armored floors.

Was walking on the "authorized walkway" couple days ago when they charged the furnace with wet scrap steel. Thought the wall was going to blow over me. There are all kinds of small holes, where steel's blown through like a shotgun.

Skulldaddy, do you remember a couple years ago. Bad wind was blowing Lake Michigan south into the mill. The water froze, creating a slide. Water then kept going further south, till it hit #2 Caster. Got in a motor control room, started blowing circuits.

Getting greasy doesn't matter much to me - I help my friends with their cars and stuff - did an engine swap in a '67 mustang recently.

I've just not got much experience where it's just me and I don't have somebody there to advise me if I have a question but Google is a wonderful thing!

I did re-do the PVC for my sump pump a few weeks ago :).

Admittedly I did the PVC 3 times [total cost was like... $60 including the tools/adhesive/primer/etc]. I now have a solid understanding of how to properly assemble something out of PVC which is a plus :).

If I had to do it again - I could do it for ~$10 probably.

Biggest things to remember with PVC; clean all contacting surfaces, and have it aligned fast.
    Not cleaning it will mean you don't get a good bond.
    And align fast because, that stuff don't mess around. A couple seconds, and it's set. Whether you are ready or not.

RedneckReject

Shooter
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Oct 6, 2012
    Indianapolis
    Yup, hot steel and water. Bad combination.
    Went through 2 bad ones at #1 BOP. I had to replace an instrument 100 foot above the furnace. The explosion had that much force, even after going through several armored floors.

Was walking on the "authorized walkway" couple days ago when they charged the furnace with wet scrap steel. Thought the wall was going to blow over me. There are all kinds of small holes, where steel's blown through like a shotgun.

Skulldaddy, do you remember a couple years ago. Bad wind was blowing Lake Michigan south into the mill. The water froze, creating a slide. Water then kept going further south, till it hit #2 Caster. Got in a motor control room, started blowing circuits.

I understand absolutely zero percent of this yet it sounds extraordinarily bad

actaeon277

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Nov 20, 2011
    Merrillville
    By the way, here's what happens when you pour liquid steel on top of wet scrap steel. Watch around 1:05, and then give it a couple more seconds.

[video=youtube;-RYCXDUt2m8]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=-RYCXDUt2m8[/video]

Status
    Not open for further replies.

Site Supporter

INGO Supporter

Staff online

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members
    Latest member
    Steve44
    Top Bottom