• Status
    Not open for further replies.

Sylvain

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Nov 30, 2010
    Normandy
    It's not like he is buying it to re-sell it to her, more of a gift...I'm guessing she doesn't need to be there, but I'm far from an expert on such things.

And I know you can buy a gun for your spouse at a FFL.In that case it's not a straw purchase.:dunno:
    But hey I'm also no expert.

MikeDVB

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    7   0   0
    Mar 9, 2012
    Morgan County
    If you feel like you're bending to make the transaction without breaking the law - you probably shouldn't go through with it.

The thing is for dealers is that straw purchases happen to get around the background check to give the gun to somebody that shouldn't have it.

In this case since you would not be running a background check there is nothing to 'get around'. She could buy it from you just like he could and, even if she wasn't legally permitted to own it, you would have no way of knowing this just like he could also not be permitted and you wouldn't know.

That said - none of this stops the BATF from holding you responsible.

Sylvain

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Nov 30, 2010
    Normandy
    But would it be considered a straw purchase? It's one thing if he doesn't tell me it's for her, but since he has, don't I have to do what I can to ensure she is an IN resident and a proper person?

He could gift it to anyone else besides his wife.I think you can just ensure he's a proper person.Then he's the one who has to make sure he gift it to a proper person.
    That's how I see it.Just like if he give it to his wife who then gift it to her son/dad/aunt.You have no way to ensure the third person will be "proper". :dunno:

RedneckReject

Shooter
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Oct 6, 2012
    Indianapolis
    He could gift it to anyone else besides his wife.I think you can just ensure he's a proper person.Then he's the one who has to make sure he gift it to a proper person.
    That's how I see it.Just like if he give it to his wife who then gift it to her son/dad/aunt.You have no way to ensure the third person will be "proper". :dunno:

This is why when we do FTF gun sales we always get a copy of the buyer's info and write out a "bill of sale". We do our best to ensure that we're selling to a proper person and have been known to make copies of LTCH and ID. We write out something stating that this gun was sold to (insert name here) and have that person sign it. If that person chooses to do something stupid, we are covered to the best of our ability.

jagee

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    26   0   0
    Jan 19, 2013
    New Palestine
    Gooooooooood afternoon INGO!!!!!

Are you guys gifting me a gun as a birthday gift, that is great of you guys!!!!

Nope. Sorry.

This is why when we do FTF gun sales we always get a copy of the buyer's info and write out a "bill of sale". We do our best to ensure that we're selling to a proper person and have been known to make copies of LTCH and ID. We write out something stating that this gun was sold to (insert name here) and have that person sign it. If that person chooses to do something stupid, we are covered to the best of our ability.

I do the same thing. If I buy something and the seller doesn't require it I still make a note of who I bought it from just to have a record of where it came from.

RedneckReject

Shooter
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Oct 6, 2012
    Indianapolis
    I do the same thing. If I buy something and the seller doesn't require it I still make a note of who I bought it from just to have a record of where it came from.

Nothing wrong with covering your bases. I don't want to sell a gun to a criminal. I will do my best to make sure that doesn't happen

mom45

Momerator
    Staff member
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Nov 10, 2013
    NW of Sunshine
    I have a guy interested in my gun on the classifieds. He said he is thinking about getting it for his wife. I am sure I know the answer, but since he told me it's for his wife then she would have to be present at the sale, correct?

He could put it in his name and let her use it.

Sylvain

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Nov 30, 2010
    Normandy
    Kind of, yes. And when you're covered in gangsta tattoos, wear your pants around your knees, and speak the language of the inner city, I'm less likely to sell to you

Edit: I'm sure some people like that ARE proper, but it doesn't look good

What if they wear their pants around their ankles? :dunno:

Status
    Not open for further replies.
    Top Bottom