Staff member
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Nov 10, 2013
    NW of Sunshine
    For Sylvain and the twerking team...

aD08ZBN_700b_v1.jpg
    No more twerking team...I believe it has been dissolved! On to the lurking events.

churchmouse

I still care....Really
    Emeritus
    Rating - 100%
    187   0   0
    Dec 7, 2011
    Speedway area
    ...I do have some painkillers in the kitchen....wasn't mom45 wanting some?

I read somewhere that the national average income in America is $50,000 a year...if you work only 40 hours a week, you would have to be making $25 an hour. Where can I get a job that makes $25 an hour?

Got to have a trade or some hi-end skills unless Allison is hiring and they aren't.

I worked in the HVAC-R trade off and on from age 14. That was 1964 and you could work at 14 in the good ole days. I am semi retired now. Still do work for select people/businesses.
    Working for a non-union contractor it was easy to make $25 an hour or higher but you had to have 10 years in a truck and at least $5,000 in tools. When I was working for union contractors the scale was $34 an hour but you had to again have 10 years to get a card or do the 5 year apprenticeship.
    It takes a targeted career pursuit to make that money these days.

SEIndSAM

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    48   0   0
    May 14, 2011
    Ripley County
    Got to have a trade or some hi-end skills unless Allison is hiring and they aren't.

I worked in the HVAC-R trade off and on from age 14. That was 1964 and you could work at 14 in the good ole days. I am semi retired now. Still do work for select people/businesses.
    Working for a non-union contractor it was easy to make $25 an hour or higher but you had to have 10 years in a truck and at least $5,000 in tools. When I was working for union contractors the scale was $34 an hour but you had to again have 10 years to get a card or do the 5 year apprenticeship.

Yep, you need a targeted skill or training to make good money. The high paying factory jobs are gone.

Caleb

Making whiskey, one batch at a time!
    Rating - 100%
    5   0   0
    Aug 11, 2008
    Columbus, IN
    You're a welder?

Yes

Yea, I really need to get a more valuable skillset, welding in factories doesn't pay **** for the ass you have to bust.

churchmouse

I still care....Really
    Emeritus
    Rating - 100%
    187   0   0
    Dec 7, 2011
    Speedway area
    I got one of those fancy college degrees, they told me I would make $40-50k right out of school...I wish!

The trades schools told young folks they would train them in the HVAC trade and they would step directly into a 35K to 45K position.......:laugh:
    Those folks had no real world training to do the job. Starting pay of $8 to $10 an Hr. and on the job training as a helper. So many PO and disgruntled people.

jagee

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    26   0   0
    Jan 19, 2013
    New Palestine
    Yes

Yea, I really need to get a more valuable skillset, welding in factories doesn't pay **** for the ass you have to bust.

We need more certified welding inspectors, our guy(s) that are supposed to work out of the Indy office are all down in Louisville for the new bridge project.

jagee

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    26   0   0
    Jan 19, 2013
    New Palestine
    The trades schools told young folks they would train them in the HVAC trade and they would step directly into a 35K to 45K position.......:laugh:
    Those folks had no real world training to do the job. Starting pay of $8 to $10 an Hr. and on the job training as a helper. So many PO and disgruntled people.

Yep. I worked while going to school and the same company kept me on once I graduated. I finally worked my way up to a management role but no where near the money I was promised to make right out of school...

churchmouse

I still care....Really
    Emeritus
    Rating - 100%
    187   0   0
    Dec 7, 2011
    Speedway area
    Yes

Please know that what I did was not only physical at times but there is a butt load of stress involved at times as well. Then there were days it was good to be me.
    I did a short stint between marriages welding on a production line in Richmond Indiana. Made front loader buckets and all the assorted arms/levers and links. The tedious work was mind numbing.

churchmouse

I still care....Really
    Emeritus
    Rating - 100%
    187   0   0
    Dec 7, 2011
    Speedway area
    Yep. I worked while going to school and the same company kept me on once I graduated. I finally worked my way up to a management role but no where near the money I was promised to make right out of school...

Checks in the mail blah blah blah....you know the rest I am sure.

SEIndSAM

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    48   0   0
    May 14, 2011
    Ripley County

Jagee, keep working and this is important, MAKE CONTACTS!!!!. As I have worked my way up the Corp ladder, each step was hearing about the job opening from someone I knew or who recommended me. And pay attention to the people that you know that aren't useless, don't be afraid to recommend them if you see something. Karma will pay you back.

Caleb

Making whiskey, one batch at a time!
    Rating - 100%
    5   0   0
    Aug 11, 2008
    Columbus, IN
    Please know that what I did was not only physical at times but there is a butt load of stress involved at times as well. Then there were days it was good to be me.
    I did a short stint between marriages welding on a production line in Richmond Indiana. Made front loader buckets and all the assorted arms/levers and links. The tedious work was mind numbing.

It's so mind numbing, it literally drives me crazy. Then to make it all "better", add a bunch of *******s to the mix.

jagee

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    26   0   0
    Jan 19, 2013
    New Palestine
    Jagee, keep working and this is important, MAKE CONTACTS!!!!. As I have worked my way up the Corp ladder, each step was hearing about the job opening from someone I knew or who recommended me. And pay attention to the people that you know that aren't useless, don't be afraid to recommend them if you see something. Karma will pay you back.

Yeah, there was a guy that I went to college with, retired from Marines (wounded) graduated with me and applied for a job where I worked as a technician, same position I had when I started. He got on a full-time job-site and met the guys from a big construction company...kissed enough a** and got offered a job making $50k a year with amazing benefits. I had more experience (with the exception of military service) and the same education, but wasn't in the right place at the right time...

Status
    Not open for further replies.
    Top Bottom