• Status
    Not open for further replies.

MikeDVB

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    7   0   0
    Mar 9, 2012
    Morgan County
    Our main wood stove is in the basement because we have a walk out basement and the mess stays down here from bringing in the wood to burn.
    We have a basement but no walk-out. I don't mind carrying a few logs in at a time to throw them in the fire place although since I'm running it constant I have gotten in the habit of stacking them up right by the back door :).

I prefer not to use the one in the living room if I don't have to cause the firewood often comes in with dirt, bugs, etc. Much easier to sweep the concrete basement floor than messing with the hardwood floors, especially if there is any snow on the wood that then melts.
    Yeah - the other thing I am seriously considering is converting the fireplace to gas - just not sure what we would do if the gas was out and the power was out. Is it likely? No. Could it happen? Sure.

Our friends picked up a Vermont Castings Resolute (porcelain coated) on Craigslist for $100 last year. That was a GREAT deal. Lots of folks sell them when they get tired of dealing with the mess, etc. You also want to make sure your insurance isn't going to ding you for putting it in (or drop you since some don't care for woodstoves). Since you already have a fireplace, you should be okay but good to check into it. They had to inspect ours.
    I may have to look into that - if we do the conversion it won't be until late spring/early summer at the earliest.

Just make sure you get a good airtight stove that is going to burn well and use hard wood that isn't going to creosote up the chimney. We clean our chimney at least once a year so we don't have to worry about improper drafting or chimney fires.
    Yeah - I lived in a house that had a chimney that caught on fire - that was not fun.

Had a neighbor just call me asking to borrow an electric heater because he can't find any in stock anywhere. His garage must not be sealed up too well because his pipes froze in there. I had the same thing happen a couple years ago but it was because I accidentally left the garage door open all night. I gave him the same little heater I used for the same problem.
    My neighbor had the same issue - had no hot water but had cold - water heater is in the garage. Wheeled over the generator and took my heat gun so they could thaw out the pipes and get hot water.

I think I may text them and ask if I can come over and take a warm shower tomorrow :).

MikeDVB

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    7   0   0
    Mar 9, 2012
    Morgan County
    We have gas log in the family room and a wood stove in the living room for the main section.
    Yeah, I'm torn between a gas log or a wood stove. Wood stove seems more universal but will be more expensive to run as I don't have a readily available source of wood [in a subdivision] but the up-side is that I can use a wood stove even if the gas isn't available.

Leaning more towards the wood stove as well since I want to put in a natural gas generator - if natural gas is out not only will I not have my normal heat - but a gas fireplace wouldn't work either and we would have to rely on something else - the wood stove would fit that bill perfectly.

The funny thing is I never really put this much thought into being prepared for utility failure as in all of my almost 28 years I've never lost power in the winter - well - not for more than 5 or 10 minutes.

MikeDVB

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    7   0   0
    Mar 9, 2012
    Morgan County
    I'm back. Tenderloin was delicious...along with the crown royal...what did I miss?
    Not much I don't think - I'm about to have some tequila after I fuel up the generator for the last time tonight. Turned the TV on for the first time in a few days - laying in bed [in the living room] watching TV and enjoying this heating blanket.

SEIndSAM

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    48   0   0
    May 14, 2011
    Ripley County
    Well, it didn't work well. Whiskers are too grey, they really don't show up that well. Went with a racing stripe. Hitler stach and stripe down my chin and neck. Wife will be thrilled when she gets home from work!!

MikeDVB

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    7   0   0
    Mar 9, 2012
    Morgan County
    Gotta keep warm somehow...
    Haha YUP.

USPS failed to deliver my propane heater today [said nobody was available to answer the door which is bull because I've been here ALL day]... They did, however, drop off my new merino wool undergarments and socks - so I'm a bit warmer regardless. I have to say - going out to get wood from the stack isn't nearly as bad as it was.

RedneckReject

Shooter
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Oct 6, 2012
    Indianapolis
    I'm back. Tenderloin was delicious...along with the crown royal...what did I miss?

SNS wants someone to look up his bum, more than one of us have female relative that were previously with men who turned out to be gay, sex is the only reason men and women don't hunt each other.

It's always something new and interesting in here

jagee

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    26   0   0
    Jan 19, 2013
    New Palestine
    SNS wants someone to look up his bum, more than one of us have female relative that were previously with men who turned out to be gay, sex is the only reason men and women don't hunt each other.

It's always something new and interesting in here

Thanks for the update.

Sorry about SnS :dunno:

Sorry ya'll turned them gay :dunno:

:+1: to the sex and not killing each other

SaintsNSinners

Shooter
    Rating - 94.1%
    16   1   0
    Mar 3, 2012
    At Work in Indy
    Haha YUP.

USPS failed to deliver my propane heater today [said nobody was available to answer the door which is bull because I've been here ALL day]... They did, however, drop off my new merino wool undergarments and socks - so I'm a bit warmer regardless. I have to say - going out to get wood from the stack isn't nearly as bad as it was.

USPS says they delivered the ink for my printer but they didnt

Status
    Not open for further replies.

Site Supporter

INGO Supporter

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members
    Latest member
    jojo99
    Top Bottom