Not open for further replies.

MikeDVB

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    7   0   0
    Mar 9, 2012
    Morgan County
    If you walk in with cash, you can make the car saleman sing your tune
    I'm working on pre-approval from the bank which is essentially the same thing as far as the dealership is concerned.

The way I did it last time - I went to the lot, found a truck I liked, then I used my spreadsheet to figure out what it costs them, what it will cost me, where the money goes, and how much profit the dealer makes. I present it to them and tell them, 'Accept or Decline'.

They decline - I walk out. Last time I did this I was driving the vehicle home from the 2nd dealer when the 1st called me back to tell me they changed their minds and they would accept my offer.

That said - it's a LOT of work to get a good deal and make sure you're not being screwed most times.

I know a couple of salesmen I trust. Will at Bosak Dodge/Jeep and Bruce at Schepel Buick.
    Looking at Ford Trucks at this point - don't really like the way the GM vehicles look [picky, I know]. Haven't looked at Dodge, Nissan, or Toyota yet.

churchmouse

I still care....Really
    Emeritus
    Rating - 100%
    187   0   0
    Dec 7, 2011
    Speedway area
    Building them race cars is pretty AWSOME! How long would it take to get one ready CM?

That all depends on what you start with. If it is a running car then a standard turn around can be done in a few days if you have built up spares for everything. We have done it overnight with built spares but that sucks.
    To build one from scratch takes a lot longer if you do it properly. The new cars are Kits so to speak but some fitting has to be done.

Dam-it I miss that insanity.....:)

churchmouse

I still care....Really
    Emeritus
    Rating - 100%
    187   0   0
    Dec 7, 2011
    Speedway area
    Too cold in my house today. My bread isn't rising like it should...hoping it turns out okay. Had a nice chat with my son and he talked me through finding a driver for the camera I got him that would help me download the pictures off of it. Got it from a friend who couldn't figure out how to get her pictures off so I told her I would do it before I sent it to him. Older Canon Rebel but will be good for what he needs. I got a good deal on it with three lenses and some other extras so at least he has something to get him started. He starts art school at Herron (thru IUPUI) on Monday. He's pretty psyched up about it and is off to buy his supplies for class. I have a feeling this is going to cost me money. He's lucky I love him.

Mom...it will never stop costing you money/time/effort....never.....:)

Caleb

Making whiskey, one batch at a time!
    Rating - 100%
    5   0   0
    Aug 11, 2008
    Columbus, IN
    I'm working on pre-approval from the bank which is essentially the same thing as far as the dealership is concerned.

The way I did it last time - I went to the lot, found a truck I liked, then I used my spreadsheet to figure out what it costs them, what it will cost me, where the money goes, and how much profit the dealer makes. I present it to them and tell them, 'Accept or Decline'.

They decline - I walk out. Last time I did this I was driving the vehicle home from the 2nd dealer when the 1st called me back to tell me they changed their minds and they would accept my offer.

That said - it's a LOT of work to get a good deal and make sure you're not being screwed most times.

Looking at Ford Trucks at this point - don't really like the way the GM vehicles look [picky, I know]. Haven't looked at Dodge, Nissan, or Toyota yet.

That's the problem that a lot of people make....they walk onto the lot thinking they are master of negotiating, only to find they don't have any negotiating power that the saleman picked up that you emotionally bought the car before ever saying a word.

churchmouse

I still care....Really
    Emeritus
    Rating - 100%
    187   0   0
    Dec 7, 2011
    Speedway area
    That's the problem that a lot of people make....they walk onto the lot thinking they are master of negotiating, only to find they don't have any negotiating power that the saleman picked up that you emotionally bought the car before ever saying a word.

I was spoiled with the "A" buyer plan my Dad had from GM. 1st 3 new cars I ever owned were Pr-negotiated on the A buyer policy. Get the best deal you can and then show the card......changes everything.
    Now, if I could just get those 3 cars back.........:(

MikeDVB

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    7   0   0
    Mar 9, 2012
    Morgan County
    I was spoiled with the "A" buyer plan my Dad had from GM. 1st 3 new cars I ever owned were Pr-negotiated on the A buyer policy. Get the best deal you can and then show the card......changes everything.
    Now, if I could just get those 3 cars back.........:(
    Interesting...

If I go GM I can get a family discount but I just really don't like the way the Silverado/Sierra look... I suppose I could deal with it if the interior was loaded....

chocktaw2

Home on the Range
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Feb 5, 2011
    Mayberry
    Howdy :wavey:

Car dealers don't really like a jar of vaseline sitting on their counters for very long. At some point in time, the vaseline conversation will come up.

churchmouse

I still care....Really
    Emeritus
    Rating - 100%
    187   0   0
    Dec 7, 2011
    Speedway area
    Interesting...

If I go GM I can get a family discount but I just really don't like the way the Silverado/Sierra look... I suppose I could deal with it if the interior was loaded....

I actually think The Silverado/Sierra/Tahoe are the good looking ones. The GMC with out that stupid (huge all chrome) Ford looking Grill is just sweet. The Fords are boxy and the interiors look Battle star Galactica to me. That is only my personal opinion and in no way reflects on any one loving the Ford offerings. Ford makes a fine truck. I own 2 Fords at present and 2 GM's. It is the new ones that turn me off.

Last edited:

MikeDVB

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    7   0   0
    Mar 9, 2012
    Morgan County
    I haven't been in a newer ford truck but the outside looks fine if you go with the higher-end grille option.

That said - I plan on test driving a few from Ford, Chevy/GMC, Dodge, Nissan, Toyota.

Status
    Not open for further replies.

Site Supporter

INGO Supporter

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members
    Latest member
    jojo99
    Top Bottom