• Status
    Not open for further replies.

mbills2223

Eternal Shooter
    Rating - 100%
    3   0   0
    Dec 16, 2011
    Indy
    My significant other actually convinced me to join. Now he regrets it :laugh:

Advice? In the break room???? Perish the thought! What's up?

Hahaha I know!

Well, as most of you in here know, I'm in pharmacy school. Fine and dandy, love it, three of six years left. Gonna be in a whole MOUNTAIN of student loan debt (private, I don't take those handouts :laugh:) I've also always wanted to serve my country, fine. The Navy and Air Force are taking pharmacy students. However, as of now, I don't qualify for their programs. I will before I graduate, probably next year. However, I also really wanna fly birds. (I know, why did you go to pharmacy school?) So... Would it be completely idiotic to go straight from pharmacy school to Officer Candidate School for the USMC, knowing full well that they don't offer any sort of loan repayment. Yes, I could probably get a spot in aviation, but...I'm also gonna be ~180K in debt to Sallie Mae. But...I really wanna join the Corps. But...my family and significant other don't want me to...So much to do...so little time.

Phew...feels better just to have typed it all out.

MrsGungho

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Nov 18, 2008
    East Side
    Hahaha I know!

Well, as most of you in here know, I'm in pharmacy school. Fine and dandy, love it, three of six years left. Gonna be in a whole MOUNTAIN of student loan debt (private, I don't take those handouts :laugh:) I've also always wanted to serve my country, fine. The Navy and Air Force are taking pharmacy students. However, as of now, I don't qualify for their programs. I will before I graduate, probably next year. However, I also really wanna fly birds. (I know, why did you go to pharmacy school?) So... Would it be completely idiotic to go straight from pharmacy school to Officer Candidate School for the USMC, knowing full well that they don't offer any sort of loan repayment. Yes, I could probably get a spot in aviation, but...I'm also gonna be ~180K in debt to Sallie Mae. But...I really wanna join the Corps. But...my family and significant other don't want me to...So much to do...so little time.

That is a very personal decision that only you can make.

Let me say this though

there is NOTHING more handsome than a Marine in Dress Blues. :drool:

mbills2223

Eternal Shooter
    Rating - 100%
    3   0   0
    Dec 16, 2011
    Indy
    That is a very personal decision that only you can make.

Let me say this though

there is NOTHING more handsome than a Marine in Dress Blues. :drool:

:laugh:

That's the one part my fiancee is supportive of. She fully supports my joining the Navy or Air Force, as a pharmacist...Marine Officer, different story :):

RedneckReject

Shooter
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Oct 6, 2012
    Indianapolis
    Hahaha I know!

Would you be finishing school first? Or at least continuing with it after you join?

HandK

Grandmaster
    Emeritus
    Rating - 100%
    11   0   0
    Mar 14, 2009
    Way Up North!!
    Hahaha I know!

Well you need to stop writing those scrip's of Prozac out to your self!! ;)

Give them to the rest of us!! :D

mbills2223

Eternal Shooter
    Rating - 100%
    3   0   0
    Dec 16, 2011
    Indy
    Would you be finishing school first? Or at least continuing with it after you join?

I would finish school first, yes. There would only be one 6 week training session during the summer for the Marines before I graduate. Everything else would be after graduation.

I've been married twice, both times to a Marine. if that tells you anything at all :naughty:

:wrongdoor:

Well you need to stop writing those scrip's of Prozac out to your self!! ;)

Give them to the rest of us!! :D

:laugh:

Don't blame me! I'm only the pusher!

SEIndSAM

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    48   0   0
    May 14, 2011
    Ripley County
    Hahaha I know!

I know several people who are struggling to pay student loans, and a heck of a lot less than you have. The sooner those are paid off, the happier you will be as you are in middle age. Do you want to raise kids with that kind of student load debt dogging you????

As someone who is 50, there was a lot of debt in my 20's & 30's I wish now I had never incurred. My advice to any younger man is to try to avoid or pay off any debt besides a mortgage as soon as possible. Just my 2 cents.

RedneckReject

Shooter
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Oct 6, 2012
    Indianapolis
    I am still happily married to Marine #2... although not so happy today, but all married couples go through days like that now and then

We all have those days. Or weeks. Or months. I think my relationship is awesome now because we never see each other. When we do, we're happy to be together. When we were together all the time we fought constantly

mbills2223

Eternal Shooter
    Rating - 100%
    3   0   0
    Dec 16, 2011
    Indy
    hey mbills... quick question... if you have to start taking synthroid for hypothyroidism, will you ever be able to go off it?

Unlikely. It's a condition that pretty much follows you through life. On the bright side, you will feel a whole heck of a lot better once you start taking it. Not a whole lot of common side effects. It's dirt cheap, brand or generic. Most stores have it on their $4/$11, etc. programs. The trick is finding the right dose! It's an extremely narrow dosing window. I've seen some crazy scripts come through. Take 1 110mcg tablet every three days and take 75mcg tablet every other day, etc. But once they get it nailed down... :yesway:

And of course, feel free to message me about it anytime (or just ask in here, whichever you prefer):)

I know several people who are struggling to pay student loans, and a heck of a lot less than you have. The sooner those are paid off, the happier you will be as you are in middle age. Do you want to raise kids with that kind of student load debt dogging you????

As someone who is 50, there was a lot of debt in my 20's & 30's I wish now I had never incurred. My advice to any younger man is to try to avoid or pay off any debt besides a mortgage as soon as possible. Just my 2 cents.

I appreciate that input, and the student loans haning over my head is the major thing stopping me from jumping right in. I love everything about the Corps, but my situation is less than ideal. On the bright side, coming out of the Corps whether it be in three years or thirty, I would still have my PharmD., and with that salary the loans start to look more like pocket change (ok, not exactly :laugh:). It's tough to weigh out the options. Becoming a Marine would certainly better certain aspects of who I am, and it would DEFINITELY help me land my dream job as a clinical pharmacist at the VA, working with veterans, but who is to say I couldn't do that anyway. Ah...Big boy decisions :runaway:

SEIndSAM

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    48   0   0
    May 14, 2011
    Ripley County
    I'll have some more to send you soon.

I was at the range Sunday and it occurred to me that I hadn't practiced using my .38 EDC for a month, put a 100 round box through it.

Status
    Not open for further replies.
    Top Bottom