• Status
    Not open for further replies.

jd4320t

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    23   0   0
    Oct 20, 2009
    South Putnam County
    That's an interesting story in itself. After my dufus moment where I ran out of gas, the entrance to that park just happened to be the next available place to pull off the road so I coasted in. So there I was in an open vehicle that has a large 2-gun rifle case strapped to it and a large ammo can next to that, a handgun on my belt and two more in black cases strapped to the back deck. And I'm sitting in a city park where that's supposed to be illegal. Less than 2 minutes after I stopped, I''m standing next to my buggy on my cell phone and of course Mr. Park Ranger pulls up. He asks me if I'm broke down and I tell him I ran out of gas and I'm calling for someone to come help me out. There was a ball game in the park creating a lot of traffic at the entrance so he asks me if I can move it out of the way. I tell him I will and he leaves without a second look. I pushed it across the road to another lot that is out of the way but still part of the park. About twenty minutes later the same officer pulls along side again and asks if everything is OK. I tell him someone should be there shortly with a gas can. I can see him looking at all the stuff I have on the buggy, but he just thanked me for moving out of the way and left. He could have easily decided to give me a hard time. Kudos to Mr. Ranger for not being a richard. :yesway:

Ok I hadn't heard that story.

Suprtek

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Nov 27, 2009
    Wanamaker
    Is carrying in a post office legal or illegal?

That's a good question. I read some stuff in 3 or 4 different places and saw 3 or 4 different answers. :dunno: I did go the the post office earlier today but I stayed in the vehicle while my daughter went inside.

Benny

Grandmaster
    Rating - 66.7%
    2   1   0
    May 20, 2008
    Drinking your milkshake
    I carry, openly, to the local post office here. They also sell firearms. No joke. :shrug:

lolwut.jpg

CarmelHP

Grandmaster
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Mar 14, 2008
    Carmel
    Is carrying in a post office legal or illegal?

Illegal.

39 CFR §232.1 (l) Weapons and explosives. No person while on postal property may carry firearms, other dangerous or deadly weapons, or explosives, either openly or concealed, or store the same on postal property, except for official purposes.

Some people cite 18 USC §930(d)(3) to suggest carry is legal, but 39 USC §410 exempts Post Offices from 18 USC §930 so it is inapplicable.

theweakerbrother

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    3   0   0
    Mar 28, 2009
    Bartholomew County, IN
    The post office closest to my house is also a pawn shop, a gun store and a post office. It is a terrible gunstore that is vastly overpriced but where else can you find beanie babies, 2 dollar DVDs and all within walking distance to an Indian food restaurant that I can't pronounce the name of. I love Columbus.

theweakerbrother

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    3   0   0
    Mar 28, 2009
    Bartholomew County, IN
    I believe you and since you're a lawyer, you know the law way better than what I could even pretend to know. The post office is open air and there is no different or separate entrance or walls that separate the post office from the rest of the pawn shop. I think we discussed this in another thread and I promised pictures but I never delivered. I've not had to go recently. If it wasn't storming out like crazy, I'd go now (ha! excuses!).

The "back" of the post office divide is the "back" of the gun area that shelves the store's ammo. I asked them how they could have guns in a post office (aside from shipping) and all I got was mumbling as an answer. I don't want to go to jail or be a felon.

Benny

Grandmaster
    Rating - 66.7%
    2   1   0
    May 20, 2008
    Drinking your milkshake
    Illegal.

39 CFR §232.1 (l) Weapons and explosives. No person while on postal property may carry firearms, other dangerous or deadly weapons, or explosives, either openly or concealed, or store the same on postal property, except for official purposes.

Some people cite 18 USC §930(d)(3) to suggest carry is legal, but 39 USC §410 exempts Post Offices from 18 USC §930 so it is inapplicable.

First off, thanks...I was thinking it was illegal, but I wasn't 100% sure, as the occasion barely ever comes up.

Damn, so if I dropped a letter off in the drop box about two hours ago, I would have been breaking the law?

And since is this the post whore thread... I must also add that you're probably better looking and skinnier than me, too. And smarter.

That's not saying a whole lot, is it?:):

Suprtek

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Nov 27, 2009
    Wanamaker
    Hey Suprtek, still planning on coming to FNS this Friday? If you get there a little early I can make sure you are in my group.

Still planning on it as long as weather permits. Forecast so far looks good for Friday. What time should I be there?

Status
    Not open for further replies.
    Top Bottom