• ...and so much more!
  • Status
    Not open for further replies.

Scutter01

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Mar 21, 2008
    Joe Peacock: 'It's 2012! Ignorance is inexcusable!' – GeekOut - CNN.com Blogs

As Seth Godin points out, not knowing how to do something is the most easily solved problem any of us has these days. The entire sum of human knowledge is available on a 4-inch device that fits in your pocket. If you own a computer, everything you could ever want to know is one click away.

And that’s why we as geeks get aggravated with people taking the time to leave Wikipedia, fire up Twitter, and proceed to demand to know why Wikipedia was down, when Wikipedia put a link directly on the front page explaining why.

“Why didn’t they just click?!?” we ask ourselves. If someone is too lazy to just click that link right in front of you and figure it out, perhaps they don’t deserve to know. Geeks see stupidity as a problem easily solved by initiative: Just stop being lazy and you’ll stop being stupid.

Scutter01

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Mar 21, 2008
    I didn't read it, are there any Cliff's Notes?

Yes, the quote I posted is the Cliff's Notes. ;)

The thing is that the conclusion drawn by the author is wrong. Nevertheless, that's how geeks perceive the problem. It's maddening to stand over someone's shoulder, ask them to click a certain icon and then watch them stare, slack-jawed, at the screen for minutes on end before they move the mouse. You get this overwhelming desire to shove them out of the way and do it yourself just so you can both get on with your lives.

Rayne

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    5   0   0
    Jan 3, 2011
    Former Tree Sniper
    Joe Peacock: 'It's 2012! Ignorance is inexcusable!' – GeekOut - CNN.com Blogs

As Scutter points out, not knowing how to do something is the most easily solved problem any of us has these days. The entire sum of human knowledge is available on a 4-inch device that fits in your pocket. If you own a computer, everything you could ever want to know is one click away.

And that’s why we as geeks get aggravated with people taking the time to leave INGO, fire up Twitter, and proceed to demand to know where is INGO's FAQ, when INGO put a link directly on the front page explaining where it is.

“Why didn’t they just click?!?” we ask ourselves. If someone is too lazy to just click that link right in front of you and figure it out, perhaps they don’t deserve to know. Geeks see stupidity as a problem easily solved by initiative: Just stop being lazy and you’ll stop being stupid.

FIFY :D

GBuck

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    56   0   0
    Jul 18, 2011
    Franklin
    Yes, the quote I posted is the Cliff's Notes. ;)

The thing is that the conclusion drawn by the author is wrong. Nevertheless, that's how geeks perceive the problem. It's maddening to stand over someone's shoulder, ask them to click a certain icon and then watch them stare, slack-jawed, at the screen for minutes on end before they move the mouse. You get this overwhelming desire to shove them out of the way and do it yourself just so you can both get on with your lives.
    Believe me, I deal with this all the time. I am not an IT guy, however, my grandfather is the Secretary of our Lodge, and with that comes a LARGE database built and run through ACCESS. Him being Secretary translates into me doing a lot of extra computer work. I inevitably move him out of the way and just do it because it gets so frustrating trying to teach him. After watching me do it about 5 times, he will learn.

OneBadV8

Stay Picky my Friends
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    53   0   0
    Aug 7, 2008
    Ft Wayne
    Believe me, I deal with this all the time. I am not an IT guy, however, my grandfather is the Secretary of our Lodge, and with that comes a LARGE database built and run through ACCESS. Him being Secretary translates into me doing a lot of extra computer work. I inevitably move him out of the way and just do it because it gets so frustrating trying to teach him. After watching me do it about 5 times, he will learn.

:popcorn:

Access? :facepalm:

I know a guy if you ever want to convert that to a real database and have a Web Interface or even a Windows Interface

Rayne

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    5   0   0
    Jan 3, 2011
    Former Tree Sniper
    My daughter's principal, addressing parents at the beginning of the year:

That is so funny, reminds me of stuff I prayed my children wouldn't say when they were at school. :D Farming community or not they didn't need to discuss the hog breeding operation. They were educated at a very young age. :n00b:

Status
    Not open for further replies.
    Top Bottom