• Status
    Not open for further replies.

Sylvain

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Nov 30, 2010
    Normandy
    However, you can't just take a stock off of a rifle. The lower receiver has to be a pistol or a virgin receiver that hasn't been built into anything.

Oh.Makes sense ... not. :n00b:

So I cant do that with a old Mosin Nagant? :dunno:

I can only take the stock off if I keep an 18" long barrel on the gun, right?
    I saw this question a few times on INGO with never the same answer.
    For a shotgun for example.
    If it comes with a full shoulder stock and I put a pistol grip instead.It's still a rifle and not a pistol (so no LTCH needed to carry in my truck) as long as the barrel is over 18 inches?

OneBadV8

Stay Picky my Friends
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    53   0   0
    Aug 7, 2008
    Ft Wayne
    Oh.Makes sense ... not. :n00b:

So I cant do that with a old Mosin Nagant? :dunno:

I can only take the stock off if I keep an 18" long barrel on the gun, right?
    I saw this question a few times on INGO with never the same answer.
    For a shotgun for example.
    If it comes with a full shoulder stock and I put a pistol grip instead.It's still a rifle and not a pistol (so no LTCH needed to carry in my truck) as long as the barrel is over 18 inches?

There are different rules for shotguns than for rifles. I know, its confusing. Rifles have an overall length and a barrel length requirement. Same with shotguns. The lengths are different.

You could cut down a Nagant, but you'd want to register it as an SBR or find a receiver that is either listed as a pistol or that is considered a virgin receiver

OneBadV8

Stay Picky my Friends
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    53   0   0
    Aug 7, 2008
    Ft Wayne
    The sad thing is if you call the ATF 5 different times, and get 5 different people on the phone. You'll more than likely get 5 different answers

:facepalm:

Sylvain

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Nov 30, 2010
    Normandy
    There are different rules for shotguns than for rifles. I know, its confusing. Rifles have an overall length and a barrel length requirement. Same with shotguns. The lengths are different.

You could cut down a Nagant, but you'd want to register it as an SBR or find a receiver that is either listed as a pistol or that is considered a virgin receiver

:n00b:

Yeah that would be too easy if they had the same lenght, what was I thinking ...

Status
    Not open for further replies.
    Top Bottom