• Status
    Not open for further replies.

Westside

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    3   0   0
    Mar 26, 2009
    Monitor World
    I love hearing our history. as a culture america has lost it's oral traditions of passing on culture and wisdom. Everything has to be new and modern. No respect for the past.

Sylvain

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Nov 30, 2010
    Normandy

:patriot:

I think most young Americans dont realize what those men did.That's why he was so happy to meet someone who actually knew what he did.
    Im not saying that Americans dont care about it but I think I can appreciate it more than a young American who only spent a few hours studying WW2 in a book.

MrsGungho

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Nov 18, 2008
    East Side
    Finally home and post #2 in the new thread. 23 pages in. I'll be back later and I really want to take the time to read and look at the pictures from France

pfinley82

Master
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Aug 6, 2011
    Frankton
    I love hearing our history. as a culture america has lost it's oral traditions of passing on culture and wisdom. Everything has to be new and modern. No respect for the past.
    If Twitty and I's grandfather was still alive. He was one of the first Marines to land on Okinowa(sp). He would aalways tear up telling the stories. A true hero to us.

! twitty

Master
    Rating - 100%
    39   0   0
    May 1, 2011
    NE Indy
    That is for sure. He was a cook and man'd a 50 cal machine gun. Would talk about little kids chained to trees with guns and people laying in dead bodies, alive, and popping up for the cheap shots/stabs.

HandK

Grandmaster
    Emeritus
    Rating - 100%
    11   0   0
    Mar 14, 2009
    Way Up North!!
    If Twitty and I's grandfather was still alive. He was one of the first Marines to land on Okinowa(sp). He would aalways tear up telling the stories. A true hero to us.

Same here! Uncle Jack never talked much about it! he told a few of the stories when he had a few drinks in him but never much, it wasn't until he had passed that I was helping my Aunt go through his stuff that I found his Discharge papers that is when I read about his three Bronze Stars! He was a modest man and never bragged about the war! When I would press him for stories he would always tear up, and just say you can not even imagine what it was like! he did tell me once that he was home for five years before he could see the color red again!! I can not even imagine what he saw! or lived through!

Sylvain

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Nov 30, 2010
    Normandy
    Sylvian who many languages do you speak?

When im asked that I usually say that I just speak one, which is French. :)

That's the only one I truelly master so I dont say that I speak any other language even if I can communicate in a language I dont say that I speak it.

I studied English, German and Portuguese in school.
    I can also understand a bit of Spanish and Italian, being so close to French.
    But that's about it.Im not saying that im fluent in any of those languages.Im only fuent in French.

I like languages, im planning on learning more on my own.

Westside

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    3   0   0
    Mar 26, 2009
    Monitor World
    :patriot:

I think most young Americans dont realize what those men did.That's why he was so happy to meet someone who actually knew what he did.
    Im not saying that Americans dont care about it but I think I can appreciate it more than a young American who only spent a few hours studying WW2 in a book.
    It's not that they don't care about WWII it's that they don't care about anything other then what is directly in-front of their face. it really is sad.

SEIndSAM

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    48   0   0
    May 14, 2011
    Ripley County
    Same here! Uncle Jack never talked much about it! he told a few of the stories when he had a few drinks in him but never much, it wasn't until he had passed that I was helping my Aunt go through his stuff that I found his Discharge papers that is when I read about his three Bronze Stars! He was a modest man and never bragged about the war! When I would press him for stories he would always tear up, and just say you can not even imagine what it was like! he did tell me once that he was home for five years before he could see the color red again!! I can not even imagine what he saw! or lived through!

I know with the relatives I had that served, all they wanted to talk about was the funny things they saw. Seems the mind remembers those and blocks the ugly things.

Westside

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    3   0   0
    Mar 26, 2009
    Monitor World
    When im asked that I usually say that I just speak one, which is French. :)

That's the only one I truelly master so I dont say that I speak any other language even if I can communicate in a language I dont say that I speak it.

I studied English, German and Portuguese in school.
    I can also understand a bit of Spanish and Italian, being so close to French.
    But that's about it.Im not saying that im fluent in any of those languages.Im only fuent in French.

I like languages, im planning on learning more on my own.
    your still way ahead of me I only speak American. I have been the UK a few times I don't speak the queen's English.;)

Sylvain

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Nov 30, 2010
    Normandy
    It's not that they don't care about WWII it's that they don't care about anything other then what is directly in-front of their face. it really is sad.

I guess they dont feel it's part of American history since that didn't happen in the US.
    Im glad it's not like that with kids in France.
    But I guess it's very different here, it's not only part of world history or national history but it's also part of the local history.
    Kids can visit museums, cemeteries and go where battles took place.
    So for them it's really living history.
    It's really something to see things in front of your eyes and not just in a book thousand of miles away from where that happend.
    I know I will never forget one of the cemeteries I visited, I think it's the largest US WW2 military cemetery in the world.The largest in France anyway.
    When you stand in the middle of a field among 12 000 white crosses with names on them, you really understand how many people died there.
    It's really not like reading on a book that 12 000 men died somewhere.

Status
    Not open for further replies.
    Top Bottom