Not open for further replies.

Suprtek

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Nov 27, 2009
    Wanamaker
    Someone has ice dams :(
    I believe you are right. Things seem to be melting off quickly in the sun though. I cleared the downspouts and water is running out pretty well. I had to dig a four foot trench for one of them so it wouldn't just freeze up again. The water from the vents seems to have already stopped.

OneBadV8

Stay Picky my Friends
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    53   0   0
    Aug 7, 2008
    Ft Wayne
    I believe you are right. Things seem to be melting off quickly in the sun though. I cleared the downspouts and water is running out pretty well. I had to dig a four foot trench for one of them so it wouldn't just freeze up again. The water from the vents seems to have already stopped.

:yesway:

Glad to hear it wasn't anything worse.

Expat

Pdub
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    23   0   0
    Feb 27, 2010
    Michiana
    Usually ice dams don't cause any damage to the roofing system. Usually just interior water damage. You must have good sized eaves.

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jun 21, 2009
    In a fog
    Just finished chopping away at the drive again. The sun has helped a lot, but I'm still not finished. Came in for another INGO break and will let the sun and a little salt help me finish the last section. Da^% what a job!

Suprtek

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Nov 27, 2009
    Wanamaker
    Usually ice dams don't cause any damage to the roofing system. Usually just interior water damage. You must have good sized eaves.
    Here's a pic from when I was doing my roof. You can't see the vents but there are four of them just in the section of eave shown in this pic. The overhang is about 18".

LostFile_JPG_8702.jpg

Suprtek

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Nov 27, 2009
    Wanamaker
    Just finished chopping away at the drive again. The sun has helped a lot, but I'm still not finished. Came in for another INGO break and will let the sun and a little salt help me finish the last section. Da^% what a job!
    I had a drift on my front porch over a foot deep that turned to solid ice. I cleared the porch but I'm not tackling the walks and driveway.

Expat

Pdub
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    23   0   0
    Feb 27, 2010
    Michiana
    Supertek. I would keep my eyes open for dampness on your ceiling and top of the exterior sidewall. That isn't too much overhang space. I wouldn't be surprised if you have wet insulation up there.

Suprtek

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Nov 27, 2009
    Wanamaker
    Supertek. I would keep my eyes open for dampness on your ceiling and top of the exterior sidewall. That isn't too much overhang space. I wouldn't be surprised if you have wet insulation up there.
    When conditions improve, I plan to pull off a vent or two and stick my head in there with a light and see what's up. There's still quite a bit of ice and snow melting off the roof, but the water stopped dripping from the vents some time ago. I'd say that's a good sign the water is going where its supposed to go now.

sclark

Expert
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    May 8, 2010
    Southern Indiana
    I just got back from eating lunch at G.D Ritzey's,(westside) glad I wasn't across the highway at Steak N Shake were an old man mistaked gas for brake and ran through the building. Heard 6 people were injured and one was pinned under the car.
    Sad deal.

Status
    Not open for further replies.
    Top Bottom