Not open for further replies.

KJQ6945

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Aug 5, 2012
    Texas
    Paper targets, a cross on cardboard. At lowest elevation on the rear sight the 38-40 was spot on at 60 yards. Middle notch was good at 100 yards but I really need to get a good Marbles tang sight for it. Not bad for a rifle over 100 years old using bullets made from scrap.
    What were they hunting with this rifle back in the day? Is this more of a pistol sized case?

Leadeye

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Jan 19, 2009
    What were they hunting with this rifle back in the day? Is this more of a pistol sized case?

Both of these cartridges go way back into the black powder era, the Winchester 1873 and Colt SAA were chambered for both. The 38-40 looks about like a 45 Colt necked down to 40 caliber, the 32-20 looks like a .357 necked down to 30 caliber. I have both rifles and handguns chambered for them. The big seller on these was just that, a good rifle and handgun one ammo combo.

The 32-20 would be small for deer, no problem with the 38-40. Back then though I would imagine that people shot everything from dinner to indians with them.

IndyDave1776

Grandmaster
    Emeritus
    Rating - 100%
    12   0   0
    Jan 12, 2012
    Nice to be back inside! We had some ruckus going on with dogs raising hell and all. The alpacas take great comfort at seeing dad with the shotgun when there is a ruckus, so I have been outside where it isn't warm for a while!

mom45

Momerator
    Staff member
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Nov 10, 2013
    NW of Sunshine
    Whew....cousin called. Nice to hear from her. Got caught up on the goings on in the Mitchell area. :):

Leadeye

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Jan 19, 2009
    Whew....cousin called. Nice to hear from her. Got caught up on the goings on in the Mitchell area. :):

Does she live in the Great Southern Forest as well? That's about as far east as it goes unless you're around Monroe.

mom45

Momerator
    Staff member
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Nov 10, 2013
    NW of Sunshine
    Does she live in the Great Southern Forest as well? That's about as far east as it goes unless you're around Monroe.

I don't even have her house address since she has a p.o. box. I haven't been down there in a while, but there's a gas station where I turn off of the main road and go east. LOL! There are 12 kids in that family. Some still live in the Orleans area and a few are around Mitchell. The rest are scattered...Lafayette area, Kentucky, Montana.

:wavey: dave and mom

Hi Neighbor!

Status
    Not open for further replies.

Site Supporter

INGO Supporter

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members
    Latest member
    jojo99
    Top Bottom