mom45

Momerator
    Staff member
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Nov 10, 2013
    NW of Sunshine
    Night Leadeye. Now my son and I are having our own debate via private messaging. I don't think he understands I am tired and don't feel like thinking about this right now. LOL

mom45

Momerator
    Staff member
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Nov 10, 2013
    NW of Sunshine
    Not sure how I feel about the istep

I think they make too big of a deal out of it. I have seen first hand too many teachers who teach only what they know will be on that test and skip the other parts of the curriculum to focus on those sections. My daughter ended up with test anxiety on ALL tests because of the pressure they put on the kids to do well on the ISTEP. She pretty much approached every test like it was a life or death situation and if she failed, it was going to be catastrophic. She failed pretty much every test she ever took all through school. Teachers would send home test after test with F's on them, and I would ask her the questions at home and she would spout off the answers correctly most of the time. When I would ask why she didn't write those answers during the test, she would shrug her shoulders and say she didn't know.

Oh well...that was long ago and she is alive and happy with her current job. She will never be a college graduate, but not everyone needs to be. As I have told her a bajillion times....the world needs worker bees....not just all bosses. :) I'm proud of both of my kids. They work and pay their own way and aren't relying on handouts or welfare. I give them credit for that.

churchmouse

I still care....Really
    Emeritus
    Rating - 100%
    187   0   0
    Dec 7, 2011
    Speedway area
    I think they make too big of a deal out of it. I have seen first hand too many teachers who teach only what they know will be on that test and skip the other parts of the curriculum to focus on those sections. My daughter ended up with test anxiety on ALL tests because of the pressure they put on the kids to do well on the ISTEP. She pretty much approached every test like it was a life or death situation and if she failed, it was going to be catastrophic. She failed pretty much every test she ever took all through school. Teachers would send home test after test with F's on them, and I would ask her the questions at home and she would spout off the answers correctly most of the time. When I would ask why she didn't write those answers during the test, she would shrug her shoulders and say she didn't know.

Oh well...that was long ago and she is alive and happy with her current job. She will never be a college graduate, but not everyone needs to be. As I have told her a bajillion times....the world needs worker bees....not just all bosses. :) I'm proud of both of my kids. They work and pay their own way and aren't relying on handouts or welfare. I give them credit for that.

The 9 year old is in the same stressed out mood. 9 years old and having anxiety's over a freaking test.

mom45

Momerator
    Staff member
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Nov 10, 2013
    NW of Sunshine
    The 9 year old is in the same stressed out mood. 9 years old and having anxiety's over a freaking test.

It is not right what they do to these kids. It's just a test. It is not life or death but they sure make them feel like it is.

The pressure for these kids to go to college starts way too early in their lives. And the schools make them feel like if they don't go to college, they are truly a failure in every sense.

Hi Frenchie!!

mom45

Momerator
    Staff member
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Nov 10, 2013
    NW of Sunshine
    I am off to the recliner. My son has finally run out of steam I think. He said he just worked 132 hours in the last 10 days (52 hours of overtime on this check-two week pay period) and somebody's comment hit a nerve apparently. He was having fun with it, but then he sucked me into it too. LOL!

I have no idea where he gets his passion for things. :laugh:

churchmouse

I still care....Really
    Emeritus
    Rating - 100%
    187   0   0
    Dec 7, 2011
    Speedway area
    It is not right what they do to these kids. It's just a test. It is not life or death but they sure make them feel like it is.

The pressure for these kids to go to college starts way too early in their lives. And the schools make them feel like if they don't go to college, they are truly a failure in every sense.

Hi Frenchie!!

The indoctrination starts young and is honed/fine tuned in college.

Status
    Not open for further replies.
    Top Bottom