mom45

Momerator
    Staff member
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Nov 10, 2013
    NW of Sunshine
    Mom, revolvers, are always good ..... S&W, or Ruger ?????

Either of those would be options. I have always been partial to .45's but I am looking for something fairly easy to conceal so may consider a .38 or .380.

My dad taught me on revolvers when I was a kid so I've always liked them, but when I told hubby I wanted a gun...he started me out with a Springfield .45 semi auto. That is my favorite pistol that I currently have.

Snapdragon

know-it-all tart
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    36   0   0
    Nov 5, 2013
    NW Indiana
    Either of those would be options. I have always been partial to .45's but I am looking for something fairly easy to conceal so may consider a .38 or .380.

My dad taught me on revolvers when I was a kid so I've always liked them, but when I told hubby I wanted a gun...he started me out with a Springfield .45 semi auto. That is my favorite pistol that I currently have.

An SP-101 or a K-frame snubby would be good. I wouldn't go J-frame because you're already used to carrying a larger gun.

KJQ6945

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Aug 5, 2012
    Texas
    Snap, I got the wife a little 642 Airweight 5 shot. What frame is that?
    I carried a 66 for years and couldn't even tell you what frame that is. Never kept up on the wheel guns very good.

mom45

Momerator
    Staff member
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Nov 10, 2013
    NW of Sunshine
    I was just reading on a smith and wesson forum and I think I saw the airweights referenced as J frame.

I think the 66 was a K frame as I seem to recall a post that the person carried this and didn't mind the weight. I'll read more when I am more awake to see what works. I'm pretty sure I have shot a J frame as my husband's cousin brings his toys here when he has something new he wants to try out. He had me shoot his .38 one time. It was kind of snappy, but I had no issues with shooting it. I'm not sure if he still has that since he hasn't had it with him the last few times he has come here to shoot.

yepthatsme

Master
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Mar 16, 2011
    Right Here
    I just got a LC380 for the wife to carry. She fell in love with it. It is just the perfect size for her hand and it's light as well. She likes it better than the LCP she has tried out before.

mom45

Momerator
    Staff member
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Nov 10, 2013
    NW of Sunshine
    Making some notes on what to read up on before we go looking. My first stop is always the Springfields cause I just like them. Then we can move on to other makes/models. I believe he was looking at the hammerless revolvers in Midwest's sale paper when we got it, pretty sure they were smith and wessons.

Snapdragon

know-it-all tart
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    36   0   0
    Nov 5, 2013
    NW Indiana
    Are there some J frames that are less snappy than others from what you have seen/shot?

I would stay away from an airweight. I'm not as familiar with the new models as I am with the old, but in the older models, a model 36 is heavier and the model 37 is an airweight. I have both.

If you don't mind a little more weight, go with a steel one for less recoil. I think it's a Smith 640 that is all steel. The Ruger SP-101 is also a great gun. I almost prefer it to the Smiths. If you want something really small but not bad to shoot, look at the Ruger LCR. I have one in .357, but I only shoot .38 out of it.

mom45

Momerator
    Staff member
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Nov 10, 2013
    NW of Sunshine
    I just got a LC380 for the wife to carry. She fell in love with it. It is just the perfect size for her hand and it's light as well. She likes it better than the LCP she has tried out before.

Just googled this since I wasn't familiar with the model. I see this is a semi auto and I already have a few of those. .45 is as small as I want to go with one other than maybe a 9. Hubby has a nice 9 mm Springer compact that is about the same size/weight as my .45 ultra compact and they shoot almost exactly the same.

mom45

Momerator
    Staff member
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Nov 10, 2013
    NW of Sunshine
    I would stay away from an airweight. I'm not as familiar with the new models as I am with the old, but in the older models, a model 36 is heavier and the model 37 is an airweight. I have both.

If you don't mind a little more weight, go with a steel one for less recoil. I think it's a Smith 640 that is all steel. The Ruger SP-101 is also a great gun. I almost prefer it to the Smiths. If you want something really small but not bad to shoot, look at the Ruger LCR. I have one in .357, but I only shoot .38 out of it.

Good info! Thanks Snap.

yepthatsme

Master
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Mar 16, 2011
    Right Here
    My wife is pretty accurate with a J frame .38 that we have. I will carry it at times, but it's a little too small for my hand. I keep pulling it to the right when I fire it. :rolleyes:

yepthatsme

Master
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Mar 16, 2011
    Right Here
    Just googled this since I wasn't familiar with the model. I see this is a semi auto and I already have a few of those. .45 is as small as I want to go with one other than maybe a 9. Hubby has a nice 9 mm Springer compact that is about the same size/weight as my .45 ultra compact and they shoot almost exactly the same.

As Snap has said earlier, the J frame might be a little small for you if you're used to a .45.

Status
    Not open for further replies.
    Top Bottom