The Official Status Update Thread: Part 145 - Happy Thanksgiving INGO!!!

The #1 community for Gun Owners in Indiana

Member Benefits:

• Fewer Ads!
  • Discuss all aspects of firearm ownership
  • Discuss anti-gun legislation
  • Buy, sell, and trade in the classified section
  • Chat with Local gun shops, ranges, trainers & other businesses
  • Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • Status
    Not open for further replies.

MrsGungho

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Nov 18, 2008
    East Side
    I'm not sure my son will ever make it back to Indy. He texted and said he is staying overnight at my parents' house. Apparently, his visit with them is going well. He and grandpa were going to discuss art and maybe work in the darkroom a bit. His poor cat isn't going to know him by the time he gets back there.

I had a set of twins in the back yard today without their mama. They are one of the smaller sets so it upsets me a little to know mam is probably in someone's freezer, but they were dining on corn and I'll keep feeding them. I haven't seen many the last couple of days, but there were more out there this evening...another set that normally has two does and only had one. The spike buck is still with us.

that is heart breaking, but it is nature.

This is outside my sisters back door. Long as they stay on their land, they are safe. Unless of course a poacher comes up

KJQ6945

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Aug 5, 2012
    Texas
    I have a Taurus Thunderbolt in .357.
    C357BR.jpg

But I have to do something with it first. The pin that pops up holds the bullets in the magazine doesn't always pop up.
    Or I'd loan it out.
    That is a fun looking gun. I've always wanted a pump rifle.
    I did pick up a used slug gun for her to use. :yesway:

Leadeye

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Jan 19, 2009
    I have an uncle with a ? I think it's a .444
    It's like a very long .44

Marlin 444 is also an excellent big lever gun, a little less versatile than the 45-70, but if you don't reload it is the better choice. Factory ammo will bring down anything on this continent inside it's effective range. Like the difference between 45 long Colt and 44 Magnum, one is better if you reload because of what's sold as factory ammo.

mom45

Momerator
    Staff member
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Nov 10, 2013
    NW of Sunshine
    that is heart breaking, but it is nature.

This is outside my sisters back door. Long as they stay on their land, they are safe. Unless of course a poacher comes up

I'm not sure that I totally agree that hunting is nature. There are a lot of people here that kill a lot of deer. We have one neighbor that tries to shoot at least 8 a year. Who can possibly eat 8 deer in a year when there are only 3 people in the house. We eat well, but have never taken more than three...and that was only one year when both kids were still at home. We had so much left the next year when hunting season rolled around again, that we said never again and stuck with one or two.

We eat venison so I am not against hunting, but it aggravates me when I see little ones orphaned that small. Two years ago, we weren't see any deer at all on our property and everyone around us complains that the numbers are down so it felt good to finally start seeing a few of the same showing up with their babies this year. I'll be curious to see how many I continue to see after the season ends. I would rather see them eaten than smashed on the roads, but I still hate seeing so many taken out.

MrsGungho

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Nov 18, 2008
    East Side
    I'm not sure that I totally agree that hunting is nature. There are a lot of people here that kill a lot of deer. We have one neighbor that tries to shoot at least 8 a year. Who can possibly eat 8 deer in a year when there are only 3 people in the house. We eat well, but have never taken more than three...and that was only one year when both kids were still at home. We had so much left the next year when hunting season rolled around again, that we said never again and stuck with one or two.

We eat venison so I am not against hunting, but it aggravates me when I see little ones orphaned that small. Two years ago, we weren't see any deer at all on our property and everyone around us complains that the numbers are down so it felt good to finally start seeing a few of the same showing up with their babies this year. I'll be curious to see how many I continue to see after the season ends. I would rather see them eaten than smashed on the roads, but I still hate seeing so many taken out.

that I agree with

no more than you need.

greed is sometimes to much

mom45

Momerator
    Staff member
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Nov 10, 2013
    NW of Sunshine
    that I agree with

no more than you need.

greed is sometimes to much

We have one person we used to be friends with. The more he talked, the more we realized he was not someone we wanted to be associated with. He bragged about poaching in the past and described some pretty unethical things he had done. We have had deer carcasses dumped in our ditch where there were just the loins removed (and the head if it was a buck)...the rest was left to rot. One year, there was a doe left this way right next to the end of my driveway. My son came in to tell me after he went out for the school bus. I went out to drag it out of site into the woods since I had no way to bury it before I had to open the shop (we still had our business going then). Drug the doe off only to find a very small fawn in the same condition underneath the doe. I was absolutely sick. No way to know who did it to report them. Some people really do suck and give hunters a bad rep.

Leadeye

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Jan 19, 2009
    Big rimmed lever gun cartridges 45-70, 444, 450 WCF, and a 30-06 for comparison. A Winchester 1895 allows more modern ammo like 270 and 30-06.

Leadeye

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Jan 19, 2009
    We have one person we used to be friends with. The more he talked, the more we realized he was not someone we wanted to be associated with. He bragged about poaching in the past and described some pretty unethical things he had done. We have had deer carcasses dumped in our ditch where there were just the loins removed (and the head if it was a buck)...the rest was left to rot. One year, there was a doe left this way right next to the end of my driveway. My son came in to tell me after he went out for the school bus. I went out to drag it out of site into the woods since I had no way to bury it before I had to open the shop (we still had our business going then). Drug the doe off only to find a very small fawn in the same condition underneath the doe. I was absolutely sick. No way to know who did it to report them. Some people really do suck and give hunters a bad rep.

Antlerless tags available in my county were 8 this year, which I don't understand from my observations. We braced for a lot of hunters in the HNF around us, but I think this was the lightest amount I've seen in 5 years.

mom45

Momerator
    Staff member
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Nov 10, 2013
    NW of Sunshine
    Antlerless tags available in my county were 8 this year, which I don't understand from my observations. We braced for a lot of hunters in the HNF around us, but I think this was the lightest amount I've seen in 5 years.

They are allowed 8 here this year too. It makes no sense to me. With so many guys hunting with crossbows, there is still a lot of potential for more deer to be harvested.

Status
    Not open for further replies.
    Top Bottom