mom45

Momerator
    Staff member
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Nov 10, 2013
    NW of Sunshine
    Hi Red! Anything exciting in Walkertucky tonight?

The neighbor lady had her flag delivered to her house yesterday. She was excited to see they did not forget her husband. They deliver it to her house every year and put it in the holder in her front flower bed since his ashes were spread there at the home site. I made sure that bed was cleaned out, weeded and ready for them. It means a lot to her.

chocktaw2

Home on the Range
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Feb 5, 2011
    Mayberry

The neighbor lady had her flag delivered to her house yesterday. She was excited to see they did not forget her husband. They deliver it to her house every year and put it in the holder in her front flower bed since his ashes were spread there at the home site. I made sure that bed was cleaned out, weeded and ready for them. It means a lot to her.
    +1

Sylvain

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Nov 30, 2010
    Normandy

That's sweet mom!

mom45

Momerator
    Staff member
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Nov 10, 2013
    NW of Sunshine
    They were in the cemetery down the road when we went through yesterday. It really was impressive to see how many are in that little, rural cemetery. Humbling....just knowing so many from our little community have served.

mom45

Momerator
    Staff member
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Nov 10, 2013
    NW of Sunshine
    That's sweet mom!

I'm hoping to get the bed across the driveway from that one done soon. We have appointments every day I am scheduled to see her next week. It's supposed to rain too so I'll have to hit that one hard the following week. She has a lot of flower beds so it takes us a while to get that initial clean up done in the spring.

red_zr24x4

UA#190
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Mar 14, 2009
    Walkerton

Nope nothing new here, how about the big town of Knox?
    Good for you mom!
    I think it's awesome they bring his flag home to him every year.

chocktaw2

Home on the Range
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Feb 5, 2011
    Mayberry
    They were in the cemetery down the road when we went through yesterday. It really was impressive to see how many are in that little, rural cemetery. Humbling....just knowing so many from our little community have served.

Same here. They came from everywhere.

mom45

Momerator
    Staff member
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Nov 10, 2013
    NW of Sunshine
    Nope nothing new here, how about the big town of Knox?
    Good for you mom!
    I think it's awesome they bring his flag home to him every year.

Not much new here. I'll wave when I pass through tomorrow. We have a wedding in North Liberty. If you see the big blue suburban zooming through, it's me!

actaeon277

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Nov 20, 2011
    Merrillville
    'merica!

Must have been a bunch of commie bastard mice!

For some reason, that box of flags was on the ground floor. The others were on the second floor.
    We need to put stuff away better.
    Maybe put mothballs near them. Do mothballs repel rodents?

Sunday I'll be at the cemetery for the American Legion 1st District (IN) ceremony. I'll have to get pictures and post them.

mom45

Momerator
    Staff member
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Nov 10, 2013
    NW of Sunshine
    For some reason, that box of flags was on the ground floor. The others were on the second floor.

Sunday I'll be at the cemetery for the American Legion 1st District (IN) ceremony. I'll have to get pictures and post them.

Our county commissioners told all of the local American Legions in our county to order whatever flags and bronze holders were needed to make sure EVERY veteran in our county had a flag this year. The commissioners told them they were to submit the bills to them for reimbursement. I'm glad they understand what it means to the veterans' families. Apparently, idiots are stealing the bronze holders to scrap them.

Sylvain

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Nov 30, 2010
    Normandy

:yesway:

mom45

Momerator
    Staff member
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Nov 10, 2013
    NW of Sunshine
    I'll be in Liberty tomorrow afternoon too!
    If you drive by the High School in Walkerton, wave, I'm right around the corner.

I go by there often. I'll toot the horn because we probably won't go quite that far off the main path tomorrow. :laugh:

churchmouse

I still care....Really
    Emeritus
    Rating - 100%
    187   0   0
    Dec 7, 2011
    Speedway area
    Lots of folks cruising by. Carb day at the Speedway.
    Everyone is smashed. I am not smashed. I am growing weary of drunk slurred speech.
    1 couple and my wifes friend up from Florida. They are ripped.

actaeon277

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Nov 20, 2011
    Merrillville
    Our county commissioners told all of the local American Legions in our county to order whatever flags and bronze holders were needed to make sure EVERY veteran in our county had a flag this year. The commissioners told them they were to submit the bills to them for reimbursement. I'm glad they understand what it means to the veterans' families. Apparently, idiots are stealing the bronze holders to scrap them.

We don't have bronze holders.
    We just use a "poker" to poke a hole, then insert the flag into hole.
    The "poker" is just a metal rod, with a handle. Some of them have added a rod at the bottom for a foot.
    If you use a "poker" for 8 hours, your hand can hurt pretty bad the next day. The rod for the foot really helps.

In the old part of the cemetery I often have to clear a grave marker to see if it is a veteran because it's overgrown.
    That slows me down. I usually can put down 80 flags in an hour in the old sections.
    The new sections have raised markers, and they haven't sunken. I can usually put in 100-120 per hour there.
    I spent 2 or 3 hours yesterday at one cemetery.
    I spent 3 hours this morning, and 2 hours in the evening at another.
    I was lucky this year and had pretty good help.
    I've done it before, 8 am to 8 pm.

Status
    Not open for further replies.
    Top Bottom