• Status
    Not open for further replies.

Suprtek

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Nov 27, 2009
    Wanamaker
    Hey guys, I don't know much about bows. Does $50 sound like a good deal for a Bear Black Magnum compound? It's supposed to be barely used and is adjustable to 60 #.

Expat

Pdub
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    23   0   0
    Feb 27, 2010
    Michiana
    How serious are you about taking up the bow. That sounds like a pretty old model. What percent let off does it have? Any extras with it (arrows, release, etc)?

Suprtek

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Nov 27, 2009
    Wanamaker
    How serious are you about taking up the bow. That sounds like a pretty old model. What percent let off does it have? Any extras with it (arrows, release, etc)?
    It's actually for my son. He wants to see if it will be something he likes. I was told it has sights and a balancer, but no arrows. I know the percentage of let off is a big deal when it comes to price but they couldn't tell me what it was.

Suprtek

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Nov 27, 2009
    Wanamaker
    has it been upkept? or does it need a new string and re greased and all of that?
    I got the impression that its been sitting for a while. I have a friend that could probably help me go over it. I just haven't been able to talk to him for a while. He helped my daughter a lot when she was competing with a recurve.

OneBadV8

Stay Picky my Friends
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    53   0   0
    Aug 7, 2008
    Ft Wayne
    I was only asking because I was given a bow that had been sitting for a while and I ended up having a lot of stuff replaced. I paid someone to go through it since I had no idea what I was doing. It might play into the price factor a little

hotfarmboy1

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    6   0   0
    Nov 7, 2008
    Madison County
    I got the impression that its been sitting for a while. I have a friend that could probably help me go over it. I just haven't been able to talk to him for a while. He helped my daughter a lot when she was competing with a recurve.

It may need a new string and minor tune up. I picked up one like that for real cheap. Ended up putting a little bit of money into it and its doing pretty good. Only prob with mine is the draw is a bit too long for me so I can't use a peep sight. So if he's gonna be using sights on it, be sure the draw length isn't too long. When at full draw you basically want the side of your hand where the knuckle meets your hand, resting against your cheek for proper peep alignment.

hotfarmboy1

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    6   0   0
    Nov 7, 2008
    Madison County
    Morning HFB! Doing fine here. On vacation, hibernating in the mancave.

Lucky! I'm working lots of overtime and trying to find time to put together the spare cyl head for my car. Ends up when the timing belt came off it bent some of the valves. Thankfully I have all the parts for that sitting in the garage :)

OneBadV8

Stay Picky my Friends
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    53   0   0
    Aug 7, 2008
    Ft Wayne
    Lucky! I'm working lots of overtime and trying to find time to put together the spare cyl head for my car. Ends up when the timing belt came off it bent some of the valves. Thankfully I have all the parts for that sitting in the garage :)

ouch. Sounds like a lot of hours in that one

Suprtek

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Nov 27, 2009
    Wanamaker
    It may need a new string and minor tune up. I picked up one like that for real cheap. Ended up putting a little bit of money into it and its doing pretty good. Only prob with mine is the draw is a bit too long for me so I can't use a peep sight. So if he's gonna be using sights on it, be sure the draw length isn't too long. When at full draw you basically want the side of your hand where the knuckle meets your hand, resting against your cheek for proper peep alignment.

I'm a little bit familiar with where the "anchor point" is supposed to be. Problem is my son won't be able to come with me to look at it and my arms are longer than his. The people that have it are from out of state and are suppose to be driving through here today. They are friends of my daughter. I guess if if doesn't work out, I'll only be out $50 so it can't be that bad.

Suprtek

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Nov 27, 2009
    Wanamaker

Makes you wonder why anyone would design an engine with zero clearance valves doesn't it? Did any pistons get damaged?

hotfarmboy1

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    6   0   0
    Nov 7, 2008
    Madison County
    I'm a little bit familiar with where the "anchor point" is supposed to be. Problem is my son won't be able to come with me to look at it and my arms are longer than his. The people that have it are from out of state and are suppose to be driving through here today. They are friends of my daughter. I guess if if doesn't work out, I'll only be out $50 so it can't be that bad.

Oh ok cool. Well $50 isn't too much anyways. And I'm sure you could get your money back if need be. Plus if it ends up being too long for him to use the sights. He can always shoot traditional with it. That's what ended up happening with mine. So until I can afford a better one I shoot it traditional. Which is the way I learned anyways. I say go for it.

hotfarmboy1

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    6   0   0
    Nov 7, 2008
    Madison County
    Makes you wonder why anyone would design an engine with zero clearance valves doesn't it? Did any pistons get damaged?

Well on the orig cams it wouldn't of happened. It would of just free spun. But with me running Crower Stg 2 cams that turns it into an interference motor. But there are a lot of overhead cam engines that are interference motors from the factory. So far I don't think there is any piston damage, haven't pulled the head yet. Had to push it back out of the barn so my buddy could get their plow truck back in. If I do have pistons damaged I do have another short block built sitting in the garage. Its built for high compression with forged internals. So it would require a new tune. Hopefully it doesn't come to that yet, but if it does oh well.

I think a big part of why the belt came off is the fact that the bolt for the idler pulley was somehow bent. I still can't figure out how that one happened. But it sure couldn't of helped. I'm taking that plus the mount back to Autozone this week to get some money back.

Status
    Not open for further replies.
    Top Bottom