• ...and so much more!
  • Status
    Not open for further replies.

Joe Williams

Shooter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jun 26, 2008
    Since you need a few more posts, perhaps you could share with me your thoughts on using a 12ga Mossberg 535 turkey gun with thumbhole stock, fiber optic rifle sights, and appropriate choke as a home defense gun.

HandK

Grandmaster
    Emeritus
    Rating - 100%
    11   0   0
    Mar 14, 2009
    Way Up North!!
    Since you need a few more posts, perhaps you could share with me your thoughts on using a 12ga Mossberg 535 turkey gun with thumbhole stock, fiber optic rifle sights, and appropriate choke as a home defense gun.

The only downside would be the length of the barrel, hard to slice the pie on a room when your barrel inters the room 20 in before you do! Also you will need to watch what loads you use and what is down range from every point in your house, Hot loads could blast right though walls and shoot someone that you do not wish to shoot!

Joe Williams

Shooter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jun 26, 2008
    The only downside would be the length of the barrel, hard to slice the pie on a room when your barrel inters the room 20 in before you do! Also you will need to watch what loads you use and what is down range from every point in your house, Hot loads could blast right though walls and shoot someone that you do not wish to shoot!

Barrel on this particular one is 20 inches, only an inch an a half longer than on my 870. Though I agree, clearing the home with the gun would be somewhat harder than with a handgun. Though I do have a number of years experience clearing buildings with an M16 and shotguns, including dynamic entries on EST :) Nevertheless, the shotguns are primarily intended in our home to be our barricade weapons. Most movement I'd be doing is going up the hallway with Cathy, retrieving Sean, and then trying to make our way back to the bedroom.

Ammo is reduced recoil Federal buckshot... I've no doubt it would blow right through the trailer! Then again, so will the nines :(

HandK

Grandmaster
    Emeritus
    Rating - 100%
    11   0   0
    Mar 14, 2009
    Way Up North!!
    Bird shot works real well for home defense shot guns! at 10 yards they have a real tight pattern and will do allot of damage to flesh and bone! but if a round hits the wall the small bb's lose energy fast! They also make home defense rounds for handguns as you well know Glaser Safety slugs work well, And yes a 9mm will blow threw 7 to 9 interior walls, your's or your neighbors! but it is only one bullet, where as 00 buck has 9 to 12 pellets that will do the same! A 556 will normally only go though 2 to 3 walls, So If I was going to use a 12 gage for home defense I would use bird shot inside especially with a child in the home! Or set up some fake walls and do some testing on light 00 buck rounds to see where you stand!

UncleMike

Grandmaster
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Dec 30, 2009
    NE area of IN
    Bird shot works real well for home defense shot guns! at 10 yards they have a real tight pattern and will do allot of damage to flesh and bone! but if a round hits the wall the small bb's lose energy fast! They also make home defense rounds for handguns as you well know Glaser Safety slugs work well, And yes a 9mm will blow threw 7 to 9 interior walls, your's or your neighbors! but it is only one bullet, where as 00 buck has 9 to 12 pellets that will do the same! A 556 will normally only go though 2 to 3 walls, So If I was going to use a 12 gage for home defense I would use bird shot inside especially with a child in the home! Or set up some fake walls and do some testing on light 00 buck rounds to see where you stand!
    +1 on the bird shot!!!!
    I've seen three inches of a mans ulna, (Small bone in the forearm) blown completely away by a load of #6 shot fired from about three feet.
    Problem was the asshat lived. :noway:

Suprtek

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Nov 27, 2009
    Wanamaker
    +1 on the bird shot!!!!
    I've seen three inches of a mans ulna, (Small bone in the forearm) blown completely away by a load of #6 shot fired from about three feet.
    Problem was the asshat lived. :noway:

This lives in the corner by my bed loaded with #7! :yesway:
    zombiekiller008.jpg

Status
    Not open for further replies.
    Top Bottom