Not open for further replies.

DoggyDaddy

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    73   0   1
    Aug 18, 2011
    Southside Indy
    Mom's pastor asked my sister and I to come up with some memories of Mom for the funeral service (kind of like a eulogy I guess). He'll be reading them. Here's what I came up with... :)

It is hard to know where to begin to recount my memories of Mom. Some of my earliest memories go back to when I couldn't have been more than 3 years old. Of course I remember her starting Hill Valley Kindergarten and Nursery School, where I had the privilege of attending, with her and the wonderful teachers that she recruited. She eventually got the attention of Perry Township schools because children that started first grade after attending her school were markedly more prepared than most other students and it showed. The care and love that she and her staff showed their students was amazing.

Many of my memories involved our family vacations. Mom loved to sing and as most at Friedens know, was a member of the choir for 60 years. Sometimes my sisters and I didn't always share her taste in music, but she sang enthusiastically, and it was one of her defining qualities. We used to play a game where we would pick a random word, and she would invariably come up with a song that had the word in the lyrics. She was amazing like that. In her later years, I introduced her to Jimmy Buffett and to my surprise, she enjoyed it a lot, even if she might have found some of his lyrics a little “baudy”. I still chuckle to think that I turned her into a “Parrothead” when she was in her eighties. I also gave her a copy of his autobiographical book, “A Pirate Looks at Fifty”, which she enjoyed very much.

When it came to discipline, Mom and Dad kind of had a “good cop/bad cop” system, with mom teaching us the rules with backup from Dad as the enforcer. Not that she needed backup very often. One reason that she didn't need much backup with me was an experience that I remember from when I was very young.

We were sitting and looking out the picture window during a very strong thunderstorm. I loved storms even back then, but I think she was trying to reassure me. We had a very large cherry tree out in the back yard and the wind was really whipping it around, and there was a lot of lightning with the storm. Mom started to say, “Wouldn't it be something if lightning were to hit that cherry tree?” Before she even had the chance to finish that sentence, a bolt of lightning DID hit that cherry tree! My eyes got big and I said, “Do that again mommy!” I think I was convinced right then that I didn't want to disobey her!

Mom was also more than just our mother. She was also a “neighborhood mom”. Many of my friends have told me more than once that they thought of her as a second mom, and she really was. It was a simpler time and not unusual for all of us neighborhood kids to roam all day, but we never worried about being in any danger because we knew that there were lots of sets of eyes keeping watch over us, and she was certainly one that always welcomed my friends into our home and showed them great love, as she did everyone that knew her.

I am so blessed and so thankful to have had her for a Mom. I can't imagine what it would have been like to grow up without both her and Dad. Mom never stopped loving Dad after he passed in 1998. She was always “Mrs. K______” and she wouldn't have had it any other way. I know without a doubt that she is reunited with him now and forever, and while we will all miss her here, she is with the Lord, and with her beloved Albert once again, never to be separated.

Status
    Not open for further replies.
    Top Bottom