The Official Status Update Thread #200 Let the thaw begin. Please.

The #1 community for Gun Owners in Indiana

Member Benefits:

• Fewer Ads!
  • Discuss all aspects of firearm ownership
  • Discuss anti-gun legislation
  • Buy, sell, and trade in the classified section
  • Chat with Local gun shops, ranges, trainers & other businesses
  • Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • Status
    Not open for further replies.

doddg

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    138   0   1
    May 15, 2017
    Indianapolis
    Good morning Doddg. Which training did you sign up for? I think I'm going to join because my wife and I would like to shoot in our own back yard. I'm not really interested in combat training. We just want to shoot our pistols.

Yesterday, in Columbus, I spent 3.5 hrs. with a member at an outdoor range reinforcing and reviewing all-things-safety (especially in the context of steel shooting) while shooting our mutual CZ Shadow 2s, and a few other various 9mms, but hit the .22LRs hard.
    Today, at MCFG, a member is going to go over safety parameters for steel shooting.

I want to get a membership at MCFG, so I hope to get some more definitive info about the time frame, b/c from my researching their website I should be able to get it done next Tuesday since they have a board meeting then (which you must attend).

They seem to have various classes to sign up for and it looks like you just arrange a time, I'll find out this pm when I'm there.
    I'll keep you informed as I learn more and go throught the list of things to do since you just don't show up and sign up like at other ranges.

Since I'm going into retirement this summer, I'd like to have the option of an outdoor range in addition to my indoor.
    Point Blank now has a $20/mo. M - F membership that I'm interested in: you give up weekends and some other perks which won't bother me.

If everthing goes as planned, this summer I'll end up with two indoor memberships and 1 outdoor as a splurge for retirement and will be paid for while working.
    One will be 9 minutes from the house, the others 25 and 30 minutes from the house: the 9 minute one is only $13/mo. and I've been going there for a year.
    I've been a member at Point Blank in the past at Carmel when I lived NE and at Greenwood when I first moved SE 1.5 yrs. ago.

Sigblitz

Grandmaster
    Trainer Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    9   0   0
    Aug 25, 2018
    Indianapolis
    Yesterday, in Columbus, I spent 3.5 hrs. with a member at an outdoor range reinforcing and reviewing all-things-safety (especially in the context of steel shooting) while shooting our mutual CZ Shadow 2s, and a few other various 9mms, but hit the .22LRs hard.
    Today, at MCFG, a member is going to go over safety parameters for steel shooting.

I want to get a membership at MCFG, so I hope to get some more definitive info about the time frame, b/c from my researching their website I should be able to get it done next Tuesday since they have a board meeting then (which you must attend).

They seem to have various classes to sign up for and it looks like you just arrange a time, I'll find out this pm when I'm there.
    I'll keep you informed as I learn more and go throught the list of things to do since you just don't show up and sign up like at other ranges.

Since I'm going into retirement this summer, I'd like to have the option of an outdoor range in addition to my indoor.
    Point Blank now has a $20/mo. M - F membership that I'm interested in: you give up weekends and some other perks which won't bother me.

If everthing goes as planned, this summer I'll end up with two indoor memberships and 1 outdoor as a splurge for retirement and will be paid for while working.
    One will be 9 minutes from the house, the others 25 and 30 minutes from the house: the 9 minute one is only $13/mo. and I've been going there for a year.
    I've been a member at Point Blank in the past at Carmel when I lived NE and at Greenwood when I first moved SE 1.5 yrs. ago.

Thanks Doddg. I looked at the calendar yesterday. Not sure I need an all day class in war games just to verify range safety. I'll keep looking.

doddg

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    138   0   1
    May 15, 2017
    Indianapolis
    Thanks Doddg. I looked at the calendar yesterday. Not sure I need an all day class in war games just to verify range safety. I'll keep looking.

Yes, that is a clarification I hope to get today since that does seem a bit much.
    I am thinking there is a shorter safety class that might be just that, even though it does seem like there is a requirement of an extended class that is also required.
    They probably do this to weed out people and get the ones that are really serious and not just the casual shooter.
    A $150 all day class would do just that.

I'll know more after my 1:1 informal FNS and saftey orientation today with a member there, which will be wonderful, especially after yesterday's shooting steel in Columbus with a member.
    I am determined that any bad habits I have developed by shooting 99.9% of the time by myself at the range (with a range officer present) will be addressed and corrected.
    After all, I'm the ultra-conservative throwback that will not even CC a gun w/o a safety or decocker (unless it has a long D/A 1st pull) since I ankle carry or pocket carry with a DeSantis Superfly holster.
    I don't usually use a OWB or IWB for normal use.
    I sold my beloved Sig Sauer 365 for that very reason, when I read they were coming out with a version with a safety.

churchmouse

I still care....Really
    Emeritus
    Rating - 100%
    187   0   0
    Dec 7, 2011
    Speedway area

It is unfortunate that so many new members and some of the existing ones do not have a clue. The safety course was forced on the range due to this fact. I have been a member for a while and got in prior to the idiocy. It is sad the potentially good members are put off by this but it is inevitable in these crazy times.

Sigblitz

Grandmaster
    Trainer Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    9   0   0
    Aug 25, 2018
    Indianapolis
    It is unfortunate that so many new members and some of the existing ones do not have a clue. The safety course was forced on the range due to this fact. I have been a member for a while and got in prior to the idiocy. It is sad the potentially good members are put off by this but it is inevitable in these crazy times.

I'm all for a range/gun safety course. I think 4 hours could cover it.

doddg

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    138   0   1
    May 15, 2017
    Indianapolis
    Only thing I saw on course schedule was defensive handgun, 9 hours, in November. :dunno:

My take-away after looking at the website was that you can schedule a class not on the calender, which I'm hoping is a shorter safety-version-only class.
    In fact, I read where if there were other people in the class, the fee for the class was shared.
    One of the items I want delineated.

Status
    Not open for further replies.
    Top Bottom