• ...and so much more!
  • DustyDawg48

Master
    Rating - 100%
    10   0   0
    May 11, 2010
    Mount Vernon
    Or, for next time......

The real question is whether or not you can compete at the next class level.

That was my biggest unknown. And that was also the motivation to shoot EX in SSP at Sellersberg to judge whether or not I belonged in EX. That and to not donate 200 spent .45 cases :D

The thing that gave me pause was the time I've spent as a SS in CDP and having never been able to shoot my way out of it. A change in mindset pushed me to post 3 EX runs in SSP with a gun that I have had less than a year and have only really seriously started working with the last 4 or 5 months. I pulled a bit of speed off and concentrated more on hits than before. On any Limited scored stage I think quality trumps speed. That 28 seconds is about 3/10th of a second per shot OR cleaning up 14 points down over 90 shots.

Kisada

Expert
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Nov 9, 2011
    Evansville
    Or, for next time......

"I maintain front sight focus, sight picture and excellent trigger control on every shot while reloading, transitioning and moving efficiently."

Looking to performance from a time based perspective is the fastest way (pardon the pun) to loose time.

Above all, a secret classifier will help:)

+1
    I think I've finally started to put these concepts into real usage, especially after last weekends run. Slowing just a bit to make sure my shots are clean or at least enough to not pull heavy downs/FTN's. Also as TJ said, maintaining good focus... I tend to line that first shot up and the follow-up is so sloppy and ends up going right down the toilet because I didn't take that 2/10ths of a second or whatever to watch that sight drop back to where I need it to be vs. just letting them fly faster than I can maintain.

I definitely need to work on those long shots too. If my two misses on stage 3 hit paper anywhere, I think I would've squeaked into SS (not that I really want that, I don't think I CAN compete at that next level yet).

dgtk

Marksman
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    May 14, 2013
    Southern Indiana
    Or, for next time......

"I maintain front sight focus, sight picture and excellent trigger control on every shot while reloading, transitioning and moving efficiently."

Looking to performance from a time based perspective is the fastest way (pardon the pun) to loose time.

Above all, a secret classifier will help:)

Agreed, heck I have a hard enough time competing in my current class. but I'm not really looking at it from a competitive standpoint, but from a comparison / standards perspective. Setting a goal and holding myself to a standard.
    Recognizing that the basics you mention are the key to getting there, it's just a little daunting.

Half a minute needs to be shaved.

As I type I'm forming a training plan! Baby steps...

sbcman

Master
    Rating - 100%
    18   0   0
    Dec 29, 2010
    Southwest Indiana
    Agreed, heck I have a hard enough time competing in my current class. but I'm not really looking at it from a competitive standpoint, but from a comparison / standards perspective. Setting a goal and holding myself to a standard.
    Recognizing that the basics you mention are the key to getting there, it's just a little daunting.

Half a minute needs to be shaved.

As I type I'm forming a training plan! Baby steps...

BE SURE to include a secret classifier in those steps- they help tremendously:laugh:

For whatever it matters to folks, SS was the hardest class for me to get out of. I've heard others say the same about c and b class in USPSA. I think it's because that is the greatest learning curve. Once you hit EX it's all about refinement and consistency. Fairly easy to take it to the next level from there.

Except for Mike, don't know what his problem is. Probably Glock.:)

DustyDawg48

Master
    Rating - 100%
    10   0   0
    May 11, 2010
    Mount Vernon
    You said it about putting concepts into usage. I think with the number of us that are here on INGO, Facebook and at WSSC and RB twice a month it makes it so much easier to discuss concepts and methods and then be able to apply them. I felt like I spent a couple of years just languishing in CDP. I learn a lot by entering in discussions and our group now has no shortage of those. Right now I think it is a fantastic time to be a shooter in Southern Indiana because of WSSC and RB holding matches and the friendship and information that is shared among us all.

When I first started competing at RB back in '09 there were a lot of guys there were very willing to help a new shooter but none were on FB or INGO or anything like that and that made it hard to improve quickly. Now we have a great base of usual suspects that are shooting, learning, reading watching and then talking about it on here and because 2 matches a month are available within just a few miles of each other it makes it so much easier to try new things.

DustyDawg48

Master
    Rating - 100%
    10   0   0
    May 11, 2010
    Mount Vernon
    BE SURE to include a secret classifier in those steps- they help tremendously:laugh:

For whatever it matters to folks, SS was the hardest class for me to get out of. I've heard others say the same about c and b class in USPSA. I think it's because that is the greatest learning curve. Once you hit EX it's all about refinement and consistency. Fairly easy to take it to the next level from there.

Except for Mike, don't know what his problem is. Probably Glock.:)

Yeah yeah, I didn't hit EX until I went back to Glock :D But CDP SS has been my nemesis. I've shot at least 5 classifiers as CDP and haven't classified out of SS. From my first Classification run at like 144.95 or something to my latest at 120 or 119, I've shaved a lot of time off but the hits aren't where they need to be, not like they were for me in SSP. Might be the gun, might be the new sights; whatever happened I think I can transfer that over to CDP. But, part of me just wants to hang out as an SS so I can go a Bob Vogel on them at Sellersberg next year LOL :D

Grelber

Master
    Rating - 100%
    17   0   0
    Jan 7, 2012
    Southern Indiana
    If my two misses on stage 3 hit paper anywhere,

Reminds me, were there more low shots pasted than high shots on stage 3? I'm assuming that since I wasn't there to do all the work last time the targets still got pasted and the misses were mostly low as usual.

Seems major dumb and maybe it is just me, but an ah-ha for the long shots was learning to aim at the center of the down zero in the moment (17.5" from bottom of target) versus center mass (12" from the bottom and below the D0 circle). I think there can be other reasons for shooting low long shots around cover (e.g. trigger control / timing on slower more aimed shots /stability unless you cheat with the leg out like Mike does) but from watching & talking to folks that stuff is all fixable & sort of low hanging fruit. That said, shooting around cover is just tougher than it seems like it ought to be, in my opinion.

Kisada

Expert
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Nov 9, 2011
    Evansville
    Reminds me, were there more low shots pasted than high shots on stage 3? I'm assuming that since I wasn't there to do all the work last time the targets still got pasted and the misses were mostly low as usual.

Seems major dumb and maybe it is just me, but an ah-ha for the long shots was learning to aim at the center of the down zero in the moment (17.5" from bottom of target) versus center mass (12" from the bottom and below the D0 circle). I think there can be other reasons for shooting low long shots around cover (e.g. trigger control / timing on slower more aimed shots /stability unless you cheat with the leg out like Mike does) but from watching & talking to folks that stuff is all fixable & sort of low hanging fruit. That said, shooting around cover is just tougher than it seems like it ought to be, in my opinion.
    I don't specifically remember any low shots in particular. I do remember T3 was grouped decently, T2 was more shotgun patterned. I'd be willing to bet my slopped shots were from barricade/barrel. And maybe I'm way off in my logic but I'm more inclined to aim at center of d0 or slightly above, closer to the neck. It eliminates chances of d3 hits unless you are way left/right and/or dropping horribly low. :twocents:

Grelber

Master
    Rating - 100%
    17   0   0
    Jan 7, 2012
    Southern Indiana
    And maybe I'm way off in my logic but I'm more inclined to aim at center of d0 or slightly above, closer to the neck. It eliminates chances of d3 hits unless you are way left/right and/or dropping horribly low. :twocents:

Seems like good logic. The problem I had was with recognition. At far targets I was aiming center mass but thinking I was aiming center D0. I stood back 20 and a friend pointed his finger at the center of the down 0 and then the light came on. Might just be an old blind guy thing.

sbcman

Master
    Rating - 100%
    18   0   0
    Dec 29, 2010
    Southwest Indiana
    NO smacktalk about WSSC today? What's up? Scores not out yet?:D

My day was alright at Bud's Gun Warehouse/Bud's Guns/Bud's Police Supply/Bud's Indoor Range--yes, everyone of those names are on the building. I dig indoor ranges but was a bit disappointed by the showroom. Should have known- when they say "gun warehouse" that's what they mean, guns only:laugh: Anyway, cool match and best of all, I got out of next week's SO duties so I'll be in the woods:rockwoot:

Is this facebook page no longer public?

So far as I know. Are you having trouble with the page?

Kisada

Expert
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Nov 9, 2011
    Evansville
    How do you join it?

You know, I'm not real sure. Facebook is about THE most unintuitive POS I think I've ever seen, since the web came into existence. :laugh:
    It's like, instead of having web developers design the site, they decided to pull some peeps from the mail room to get the work done. I don't use it a ton, but every time I look to do the most basic, mundane task on the site, I have to go on a manhunt to figure out how to do it.

Their help section says "Go to the group you want to be part of and then click Join Group in the top-right corner."
    But I came across the join button when I was looking at some of your pics in the album section...

Grelber

Master
    Rating - 100%
    17   0   0
    Jan 7, 2012
    Southern Indiana
    Oh - Sbcman - Did I ask before if you remembered the new rules thing about the barney round mag that the MD talked about at MSC? Maybe something like just one round in mag so s.o. can see that it is empty before start.

sbcman

Master
    Rating - 100%
    18   0   0
    Dec 29, 2010
    Southwest Indiana
    How do you join it?

Looney is the main man on the group so he can tell us the whole deal about it, but I think all you have to do it "Like" it and you're in. And, according to the like list, you are:D

Scores delayed, far as I know Mike's squad is still shooting.

:laugh:

Oh - Sbcman - Did I ask before if you remembered the new rules thing about the barney round mag that the MD talked about at MSC? Maybe something like just one round in mag so s.o. can see that it is empty before start.

I don't know if you did, but I asked a long time IDPA SOI who's up on the rules about it yesterday. He said he really didn't know why the big deal was brought up about it (he was at the MSC too). Only thing he can figure is that they don't want to have to issue a procedural or possible ftdr if used for a shooter having more ammo/mags on them than is allowed in the new rulebook.

DustyDawg48

Master
    Rating - 100%
    10   0   0
    May 11, 2010
    Mount Vernon
    Scores delayed, far as I know Mike's squad is still shooting.
    Great match, great day to be out enjoying the match, great irritation from hitting non-threats.
    I got the award for A1 primer hoarder!!

We have a few reshoots to work in today and tomorrow so maybe by Thursday we will be good. I'm currently explaining the COF procedure to Jim and Kim.

Kisada

Expert
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Nov 9, 2011
    Evansville
    Ah, some excellent morning humor to start the day.

On the whole group thing, I think I accidentally joined the Southwest Indiana Gun Traders by mistake... just me doing a quick glance and not realizing I read it wrong.

Top Bottom