• Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • Kisada

Expert
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Nov 9, 2011
    Evansville
    I didn't get the memo... Let us know when they send it or if you could link it...we are having to switch over our email from Insight to Time Warner and are having some problems with receiving emails.

One word.... Yahoo. Or Gmail if it sounds better. When I last used dialup, the email changeover was annoying so I went with something that wasn't linked to any particular provider I happened to be using. The address will be reliable and live forever essentially, unless it gets hacked or something to that extent. :)

DustyDawg48

Master
    Rating - 100%
    10   0   0
    May 11, 2010
    Mount Vernon
    One word.... Yahoo. Or Gmail if it sounds better. When I last used dialup, the email changeover was annoying so I went with something that wasn't linked to any particular provider I happened to be using. The address will be reliable and live forever essentially, unless it gets hacked or something to that extent. :)

We are very close to that!

sbcman

Master
    Rating - 100%
    18   0   0
    Dec 29, 2010
    Southwest Indiana
    What a fantastic day for shooting! Those that missed it really missed it!

Glad to hear it man! Hope everyone had a good time out at WSSC. My second weekend schedule is open next month and Lord willing I will be there.

Wilmore was a great match, as always, but I think I re-learned something that is going to help me a lot heading to Tulsa this week.....

IDPA shooting is fun.

Makes all the difference in the world in one's performance (also helps that everything fired off this time too:laugh:)

DustyDawg48

Master
    Rating - 100%
    10   0   0
    May 11, 2010
    Mount Vernon
    Glad to hear it man! Hope everyone had a good time out at WSSC. My second weekend schedule is open next month and Lord willing I will be there.

Wilmore was a great match, as always, but I think I re-learned something that is going to help me a lot heading to Tulsa this week.....

IDPA shooting is fun.

Makes all the difference in the world in one's performance (also helps that everything fired off this time too:laugh:)

You know, it IS fun! I had quite a bit of it today myself!

sbcman

Master
    Rating - 100%
    18   0   0
    Dec 29, 2010
    Southwest Indiana
    So the courses for nationals are out. For the most part there's nothing really interesting, at least as it is shown on paper (although we do get to sit in a deer stand with a crossbow and a stage where we start with a paintball gun). Whoever designed these courses must have really great knees as at least half of them require shooting from low cover.

Ironically, the stage that is intriguing me the most is the standards stage. I've never seen one like this in a match. For reference, p1=7 yards, p2=10 yards and p3=18 yards. Here it is

Start Position:
    At position indicated per string, gun loaded to capacity
    unless otherwise noted. Hands naturally at sides. No cover garment
    required.
    Scenario:
    Basic skills test
    Procedure:
    String 1:
    From P3 starting facing up range and only 6 rounds in gun.
    Engage T1-T3 with 2 rnds each lower scoring zone, preform a reload and
    re-engage T1-T3 with 2 rnds each lower scoring zone.
    String 2:
    From P2, engage T1-T3 with 2 rnds each lower scoring zone,
    strong hand only.
    String 3:
    From P2, engage T1-T3 with 3 rnds each lower scoring zone
    then re-engage with 1 rnd each upper scoring zone.
    String 4:
    From P1, engage T1-T3 with 2 rnds each upper scoring zone
    with strong hand only
    String 5:
    From P1, engage T1-T3 with 2 rnds each lower scoring zone,
    support hand only.

This comes to 42 rounds total, 14 rounds on each target. That is a BUNCH of points for the match. Going to need to remind myself that this one is a marathon, not a sprint. Wouldn't be surprised if the squad is on this stage for at least an hour.

The targets themselves are set at the same height, 2 yards apart and the middle target two yards back. No doubt this was done as a trick to get you to sweep left to right when you half to go left, right and middle.

Ya'll can look the rest of the stages over at IDPA.com if you wish. Just go to nationals and follow the link for "stages".

stiwssc

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Oct 14, 2012
    To all the scores are out, congrats to DustyDawg on a fine performance.

Thanks to all for comming out to shoot.

DustyDawg48

Master
    Rating - 100%
    10   0   0
    May 11, 2010
    Mount Vernon
    Thanks! I knew I put that new front sight on there for a reason! Yesterday I took a bit off of the trigger speed and ended up going faster overall. I pulled a few on the box drill but knew it as soon as I did it. Other than that and a missed head shot I was really pleased with yesterday compared to how I shot at RB.

I do have a question, TJ, about that course description...what do they mean by lower scoring zone? The body I am assuming, correct? And upper being the head? I know that is probably the proper way to say it, but you could read into it hat they want you to shoot your rounds all in the Down 3 area at the bottom of the target! LOL

DustyDawg48

Master
    Rating - 100%
    10   0   0
    May 11, 2010
    Mount Vernon
    +1 to the WSSC team for the IDPA shoot today. What a nice place to shoot holes in things (sometimes attempt). Very convivial folks all around!

Was that your first time at WSSC.? I don't have a name or face to put with your username and do you remember what squad you shot with? Glad you had a good time!

Grelber

Master
    Rating - 100%
    17   0   0
    Jan 7, 2012
    Southern Indiana
    This rules stuff came up Saturday:

3.4.3.2. A reactive target is deemed to have been engaged when a minimum of 1 round is fired at the target, regardless of whether the target reacts. All penalties apply if the shooter does not re-engage the target until the target reacts or if the shooter unsuccessfully challenges the reactive target calibration (4.24.5).

Question was whether you could miss or otherwise fail to drop a steel, move to another target & then come back to get the steel. My read is that you have engaged the target so you can move on and come back to it, whether or not cover is involved, unless described otherwise in the course description.

3.7.2. Loaded Cylinder/Chamber Reload (also known as a Tactical Reload or Reload with Retention)
    Loaded Cylinder/Chamber Reload recharge the firearm when it is partially loaded while retaining any live ammunition or ammunition carrier.

A couple folks shucked live rounds as part of a tactical reload. My read is that this should have been a procedural.

Oh, after digging into the old 1911 thumb safety thing issue. My read is that if you are supposed to have a safety on, and you point a loaded gun at your body (holster) with the safety off, that is a DQ.

The above may all be wrong. Seems good to circle the wagons on this stuff.

sbcman

Master
    Rating - 100%
    18   0   0
    Dec 29, 2010
    Southwest Indiana
    I do have a question, TJ, about that course description...what do they mean by lower scoring zone? The body I am assuming, correct? And upper being the head? I know that is probably the proper way to say it, but you could read into it hat they want you to shoot your rounds all in the Down 3 area at the bottom of the target! LOL

I'm assuming the body as well but will be asking to be sure:laugh: That's the first time I've seen the phrase "upper" and "lower" scoring zones used in a COF.

3.4.3.2. A reactive target is deemed to have been engaged when a minimum of 1 round is fired at the target, regardless of whether the target reacts. All penalties apply if the shooter does not re-engage the target until the target reacts or if the shooter unsuccessfully challenges the reactive target calibration (4.24.5).

Question was whether you could miss or otherwise fail to drop a steel, move to another target & then come back to get the steel. My read is that you have engaged the target so you can move on and come back to it, whether or not cover is involved, unless described otherwise in the course description.

3.7.2. Loaded Cylinder/Chamber Reload (also known as a Tactical Reload or Reload with Retention)
    Loaded Cylinder/Chamber Reload recharge the firearm when it is partially loaded while retaining any live ammunition or ammunition carrier.

A couple folks shucked live rounds as part of a tactical reload. My read is that this should have been a procedural.

Oh, after digging into the old 1911 thumb safety thing issue. My read is that if you are supposed to have a safety on, and you point a loaded gun at your body (holster) with the safety off, that is a DQ.

Agreed on both the engagement issue and the ammo. The ammo deal is specifically listed as a procedural in the current book:

Failure to do an IDPA approved reload will result in a three (3)
    second procedural penalty per infraction. Failure to do the reload
    specified by the CoF will result in a three (3) second procedural
    penalty or an FTDR. Failure to properly stow a partial magazine
    or live ammunition after a Tactical Reload or Reload with
    Retention prior to firing the first shot after the reload, will incur a
    procedural penalty.

looney2ns

Master
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Jan 2, 2011
    Evansville, In
    Thanks! I knew I put that new front sight on there for a reason! Yesterday I took a bit off of the trigger speed and ended up going faster overall. I pulled a few on the box drill but knew it as soon as I did it. Other than that and a missed head shot I was really pleased with yesterday compared to how I shot at RB.

Slowing down just a tad paid off for you.

Have I mentioned I hate memory stages. :)

Kisada

Expert
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Nov 9, 2011
    Evansville
    I'm assuming the body as well but will be asking to be sure:laugh: That's the first time I've seen the phrase "upper" and "lower" scoring zones used in a COF.

Agreed on both the engagement issue and the ammo. The ammo deal is specifically listed as a procedural in the current book:

Failure to do an IDPA approved reload will result in a three (3)
    second procedural penalty per infraction. Failure to do the reload
    specified by the CoF will result in a three (3) second procedural
    penalty or an FTDR. Failure to properly stow a partial magazine
    or live ammunition after a Tactical Reload or Reload with
    Retention prior to firing the first shot after the reload, will incur a
    procedural penalty.

I thought that was weird too, as I've never seen it worded that way.

And could that count as three separate procedurals from one improper mag swap? :laugh:

DustyDawg48

Master
    Rating - 100%
    10   0   0
    May 11, 2010
    Mount Vernon

So holstering a weapon with a thumb safety that isn't engaged is a DQ... But what about non-traditional starting procedures like the USPSA match where you were (unfairly) issued a DQ?

Grelber

Master
    Rating - 100%
    17   0   0
    Jan 7, 2012
    Southern Indiana
    So holstering a weapon with a thumb safety that isn't engaged is a DQ... But what about non-traditional starting procedures like the USPSA match where you were (unfairly) issued a DQ?

I think TJ was right on the latter, if you don't also point the gun in an unsafe direction or muzzle yourself then it is only a violation of one of the rules of the game and just a procedural. I can get to the DQ on the holstering (or breaking the 180), because the muzzling exception for drawing and carrying the gun before the beep assumes any appropriate safeties will be engaged (and I can really see somebody getting hurt, we all have nerves at this sometimes and it is easy to miss your grip even when you are not antsy I'm remembering the guy that threw his gun on the draw during the March classifier).
    I could still be wrong about the DQ, don't have anything written in stone just several opinions, would be interesting to ask what the head cheese at Sellersburgh thinks.

Oh, other thing I noticed Sat. Some folks with good trigger jobs (maybe) are slamming the slides down hard during show clear, I need to remember to tell them they don't have to do that, may just be a 1911 thing though.

Oh, me getting a DQ was all my own fault, not unfair. I ain't all a perky about it, but I did screw up.

Top Bottom