• Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • littletommy

Grandmaster
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Aug 29, 2009
    A holler in Kentucky
    It's been a good weekend for me! My local liquor store had Kentucky Bourbon barrel Ale, and Franziskaner weissbier, which are my two favorite beers. If you've never tried either one, you owe it to yourself to seek them out. The Franziskaner has a banana'ish flavor, not sure if it's an actual flavor added, or a result of their brewing process, but it works, and it's damn good!

The Bourbon barrel Ale is just crazy good, a little sweeter than I normally like in a beer, but this is no normal beer.
    null_zpsdb5b26a5.jpg

LanceRobbins24

Marksman
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Nov 22, 2008
    South Bend
    Campside
    Upland Brewing Company
    Bloomington, IN
    4.5 abv
    50 ibu

Appearance: A very slightly cloudy golden yellow pour. Poured a two and a half finger fluffy head. This has all the looks of a great summer sessionable beer.

Aroma: Some pine and a light hint of citrusy grapefruit. Has a pretty subtle aroma. Not over the top...just about right. No nose hitting bitterness like the IPA's and imperial IPA's I've been drinking as of late.

Taste: About what I expected for this style of beer (it's an American blonde ale). Very light malt backbone. Refreshing but nothing jumps out on the palate.

Mouthfeel: Not a lot of body. Is definitely an easy drinker. Maybe just a bit light on the carbonation too.

Overall: I picked this up at a local craft beer tasting (free Upland tulip glass...score!) and am not usually an American blonde ale drinker, so it fell a bit flat for me. I could see this being a "gateway craft beer" for those that aren't into really strong beers. It is named appropriately. Summer night sitting by the campfire...yeah, I can see that with this beer.

Serving: Poured from a bottle into a Upland tulip glass.

ncthorn

Marksman
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Oct 25, 2008
    Columbus, OH
    INGO hasn't hit up Champagne Velvet yet???

My Review: Mini Beer Review: Champagne Velvet | Modern Rifleman

Admittedly, I am no expert when it comes to reviewing beers. Though I certainly have tried my fair share of different brews, I often leave it up to the experts to talk about the different nuances of various beers. That said, I could not help but share a recent find with the rest of my readers.

The primary reason I was so excited to try Upland Brewery’s new Champagne Velvet is that the original recipe hails from the stomping grounds of my youth, Terre Haute, Indiana. Those of you who recognize Upland as a Bloomington, Indiana brewery need not worry, the rapidly growing brewery has not relocated, but instead has re-released (or perhaps resuscitated) a popular brew that was originally released by the Terre Haute Brewing Company back in 1906 and has not been seen for over 50 years. Champagne Velvet, “The beer with the million dollar taste” was originally a popular local beer during the pre-prohibition era that also had a strong run after World War Two before THBC’s ultimate demise in 1958. Recently, a local family found a portion of the original recipe for Champagne Velvet dated 1901 and Upland has taken on the challenge of reinventing the beer and distributing it throughout the US.

As a beer, Champagne Velvet can be categorized among the many mid to upper shelf lagers currently on the market. In comparison to commonly known brews, Champagne Velvet possesses a flavor somewhere between a Stella Artois and a Warsteiner. The Upland offering lacks the strong barley finish that is typical of a Heineken, but offers a stronger hopped flavor than would be expected from a Dos Equis or Asahi Super Dry. The beer is light in color as is typical for a lager and presents a faint, but pleasant aroma with enough carbonation to feel refreshing in any weather.

Overall, Upland has done a nice job of rescuing THBC’s flagship beer from historical oblivion. Though most younger beer enthusiasts have never enjoyed the chance to try THBC’s original recipe, Upland has faithfully recreated Champagne Velvet from what little was left of the recipe while also introducing an accessible and versatile lager just in time for summer cookouts. Those of you looking for an excellent beer for this summer and beyond would be wise to give Champagne Velvet a try.

Boba

Marksman
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jan 23, 2013
    Blackberry Tart Ale
    Blue Moon Brewing Co
    Golden, CO
    5.8% abv

When it's springtime the fruity beers are in bloom. This ale brewed with blackberries & raspberries pours a clear, self described "deep-amber" but I would go so far as to say scarlet. Barely a ring of ultra-fine bubbles around the glass. Very limited nose if any creates a faint wisp of what could be berry. Crisp, light, with a pleasant berry flavor. Average to watery mouth feel. Dessert beer anyone? The tart is well enough to finish clean on the palate but still leave a hint of malt. It's good, thankyou.
    :twocents:

Boba

Marksman
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jan 23, 2013
    Cascara Quad
    Ale brewed with date, with "coffee cherries" added (cascara)
    New Belgium Brewing
    Fort Collins, CO
    10% abv

Pours brown with a dense buff head with some sediment floaters. No real strong aroma to speak of to be quite honest (some faint date perhaps) but you can sense the sweet, malt. For such a sweet beer it has a relatively clean mouthfeel. The cascara (the fruit or husk surrounding a coffee bean) has a complex flavor. It is said to be reminiscent of tobacco & cherries. Perhaps some tobacco at the end but not so much up front as the sweet date/malt delivers first. Cherries perhaps, but not a cherry flavor, or coffee for that matter. It's uniquely cascara. Everything seems to stay centralized in the middle of the palate for the most part. It's quite complementary with my Asian heat-barbeque ribs for sure and I think that is its place. Certainly not a session beer at 10% but well paired with various meals taking advantage of its centralized delivery of complex flavor. How novel!:yesway:

Boba

Marksman
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jan 23, 2013
    Pistil Dandelion Ale
    Magic Hat Brewing Co.
    South Berlington, VT
    4.5% abv

This spring seasonal pours a hazy medium indian yellow with persistent frothy head. Not overly aromatic but there is a deeply subtle pleasant intangibleness. It makes me wonder which parts of the dandelion they use in the brewing process. Perhaps the sweeter flower head as opposed to the more bitter parts of this dynamic plant.
    Like with most Magic Hat varieties it is very well balanced. Cool, sometimes bubbly, clean mouth feel but with a lingering beer satisfaction on the end. This is just a flat out tasty blonde. Very enjoyable. Check it out.:yesway:

jetmechG550

Expert
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Nov 4, 2011
    Pistil Dandelion Ale
    Magic Hat Brewing Co.
    South Berlington, VT
    4.5% abv

This spring seasonal pours a hazy medium indian yellow with persistent frothy head. Not overly aromatic but there is a deeply subtle pleasant intangibleness. It makes me wonder which parts of the dandelion they use in the brewing process. Perhaps the sweeter flower head as opposed to the more bitter parts of this dynamic plant.
    Like with most Magic Hat varieties it is very well balanced. Cool, sometimes bubbly, clean mouth feel but with a lingering beer satisfaction on the end. This is just a flat out tasty blonde. Very enjoyable. Check it out.:yesway:
    After their frivolous lawsuit against West Sixth Brewing out of Lexington, KY, I will never purchase a Magic Hat anything. I know not a review and not to knock you but I'm just throwing it out there. Hell Magic Hat isn't a small craft brewer anymore, they were purchased by some multi national conglomerate out of South America.

Boba

Marksman
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jan 23, 2013
    Mojo Rising Double IPA
    Boulder Beer Company
    Boulder, CO
    10% abv

Mmm. I almost forgot how good Mojo Rising is. If you like high octane hoppy beers, this does not disappoint.

Color: great
    Aroma: great
    Mouthfeel: great
    Overall impression: great
    Undertones: great
    Flavor: great
    Lingering notes: great
    Aesthetics: great
    Garnish: any high caloric protein rich food, at 10% you'll need it
    Economic impact: fair, you get what you pay for

Still tasty at 10% and not yet broaching that fingernail polish remover level like a DFH 120minute (of which I occasionally enjoy). Take care to imbibe on a full stomach or suffer potential silly reviews and such. A great treat! But one cannot subsist on treats alone.

Boba

Marksman
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jan 23, 2013
    Black & Blue
    Dogfish Head Inc.
    Milton, DE
    10% abv

These guys make some stellar unique brews. Simply stated this malt beverage is fermented with Black Raspberry and Blueberry purèe. Hence the "black & blue." I love blueberries and who on earth doesn't like black raspberries? Sounds like a match made in heaven and certainly enough of a pitch to get me to try a different brew. Alas most attempts at the novel or unique end up falling far short of delivering on such bold expectation promises, but not here. DFH for the win!

Pours a cloudy carmel brown with some sediment floaters. Fair head. Sweet, balanced, and just enough real berry flavor to send your taste buds swimming. They will thank you for not exposing them to the typical blue or raspberry artificial flavoring most brews utilize in trying to concoct a niche brew. DFH did it right. It's like you're getting the health benefits of two super anti-oxidant fruits, and beer! And everything is right in the world.

Keep in mind real fruit has a tart component, and this uses that to finish clean. Careful not to make quick work of this super bomber because you may not realize your drinking a 10%. Damn good!:yesway:

ncthorn

Marksman
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Oct 25, 2008
    Columbus, OH
    Mini Beer Review: Moerlein Over the Rhine Ale | Modern Rifleman

dsc_0206.jpg

Based on the positive feedback I received from my Champagne Velvet Review, I decided to give this another go. This time, we will take a look at another regional beer: Moerlein’s Over the Rhine Ale from Cincinnati, Ohio.

Those of you who are members of AR15.com and Ingunowners.com may remember that I recently moved to Ohio. Among the chaos of moving and beginning my job, I decided to relax and get a feel for some of the local beers. Having been a Cincinnati Reds fan my entire life, I always try to make it to a few games each year. In recent trips to Great American Ballpark, I have wanted to try the Moerlein Lager House, but due to logistical difficulties and a general lack of time have never made it to the restaurant. Fortunately, Moerlein sells its beers in local groceries, such as Kroger.
    Touted as an “early settlers’ ale”, Moerlein O.T.R. Ale pours a dark amber color with a creamy head not unlike some of the Belgian sour beers or red ales that continue to gain popularity in the American market. Though dark, the beer is very clear and light can easily be seen through a full glass. The ale possesses a distinctly hoppy aroma reminiscent of an IPA.

Perhaps the most surprising aspect of the O.T.R. Ale is its flavor. Based solely on the color and foamy head, I was expecting a red ale sort of flavor on par with a Smithwicks or a New Castle. To my surprise, the beer tastes much more like an IPA. The extra hops in this beer cannot be missed and serve to give the beer a nice amount of bitterness that is similar, but not quite as strong as the Schlafly APA for those of you familiar with that beer. The mouth feel is what I would consider medium-bodied. It is not as light as your average lager or even most IPAs, but nowhere near as heavy as a stout or porter. Perhaps from a feel standpoint, the beer is most similar to a Yuengling Lager.

Overall, Moerlein’s Over the Rhine Ale is a quality craft beer that has me wanting to try more of Moerlein’s offerings. Surprisingly hoppy, the beer offers a great, but not overwhelming flavor that will certainly appeal to the growing numbers of IPA fans.

Boba

Marksman
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jan 23, 2013
    Bob's Your Uncle
    Round Barn Brewery
    Baroda, MI
    4.8% abv

This "premium bitter" from Michigan is in fact very well rounded! Pours rather frothy, and it might explode out of the bottle if you're not careful. It has a faint pleasant dusty aroma if at all. Deep rich amber to bright copper color.
    From the label... "An easy-drinking session beer with a light body and mouthfeel." ...I totally agree.
    Continuing, "Look for hints of caramel finished with a toasty note..." I could see that but it's not what I initially thought of. I get more of a faint floral spice note. The more I think about it, the closest thing I can compare it to is almost clove-like.
    Also from the label... "Enjoy the earthy hop bitterness that is distinctly English." Well then, there you go. And Bob's your uncle.
    What a great find! I like this a lot and recommend giving it try. Yup yup. Right right. And Robert's your father's brother.

Boba

Marksman
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jan 23, 2013
    Laughing Panda Green Tea IPA
    Two Brothers Brewing Co
    Warrenville, IL
    6.75% abv

Pours a crisp medium light amber. Lightly heady depending on your pour. Great citrusy aroma. Lighter mouthfeel just this side of watery which is fine. Floral hop flavor with a pleasantly sweet middle that lingers on the end. Also a little corn... corny humor that is. I'll spare you the cut and paste joke from the bottle most reviewers solely put up on this brew, but I can appreciate some good natured corny humor. I do consume various green teas on a regular basis and am really having trouble pinpointing the green tea in this, but no worries. I'm not getting the bitter earthy grassy taste of most green teas and macha. Maybe something subtle on the end that balances everything out but it doesn't shout out green tea at all. This is real good. Light, sweet, and no caffeine jitters! :yesway:

Boba

Marksman
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jan 23, 2013
    Stone 08.08.08 Vertical Epic Ale

Stone 08.08.08 Vertical Epic Ale
    Stone Brewing Co.
    Escondido, San Diego County, CA
    8.6% abv

From the bottle:
    "The inspiration for this year's edition comes from a trip to Belgium taken by Stone Brewmaster Steve Wagner and Head brewer Mitch Steele in early 2008. There they discovered a special edition of a renowned Belgian golden triple that had been extra hopped up with American hops. Back in Escondido, we opened the bottle and found that it was good. Very good, in fact. Being the hop lovers that we are, we found the whole experience deliciously inspiring. Our Stone 08.08.08 Vertical Epic Ale is a variation on this theme. We proudly present you with this very dry pale golden beer which sports a thick creamy white foam, is spicy, estery and fruity (from the yeast), and possesses a crisp bitterness-oh yes, and is very, very generously hopped. It's fair to say that this is a beer that was inspired by a Belgian beer that was in turn inspired by the well-hopped West Coast style beers-which are, of course, the very kind of brews that we are famous for!"

Now for the review....
    Good. Damn good!
    Pours incredibly clear (till the last bits since it is bottle conditioned), light clean and flavorful mouthfeel; building toward the end. Incredible.
    Just enough of a triple & just enough hops. This is a different experience altogether. This could break into my top five easily, maybe top three of all time, but I will reserve judgment on this for now.
    The more I drink the better it gets! So so drinkable. Most Stone varieties I find are heavy on the bitter unabashedly so, unapologetic, arrogant even. This is a refined drinking experience. A classical masterpiece. Wow. :yesway::yesway:

Sean

Plinker
    Rating - 100%
    5   0   0
    Oct 6, 2011
    Stone Vertical Epic

Can't believe I missed this thread! I was fortunate enough to try the entire Stone Vertical Epic and it was amazing, I was surprised at how well some of the earlier beers held up. Out of the entire lineup I didn't care for 11.11.11 or 12.12.12 they both were very busy maybe they'll mellow out with some time. Three of us tried them over a few days.

x5b1g9.jpg

Top Bottom