Not open for further replies.

churchmouse

I still care....Really
    Emeritus
    Rating - 100%
    187   0   0
    Dec 7, 2011
    Speedway area
    When I had the opportunity to check out both Doc and Monza's cars last spring, they both had 4 kits on them. They both seem fairly sharp but I think Monza has his act together a little more. For some reason Doc & his car are too unpredictable. As for Dave, yeah the back end is down low and the front is up keeping the power/ weight applied. On spray you could always watch the little sparks shooting from the header flames and that only means one thing..it's hurting parts.

We always try to be just a little bit conservative with our tune. Crazy thing is years ago a good rule of thumb was 4-6 jet spread..now there are guys running a 20 jet spread. Some with several kits are also injecting water to help keep the cyl's cool enough.

People always advance.
    When I had the supercharged Harley with Nitrous I originally Had the jets in the intake clocked right at the valve. It was violent. Very violent.
    I turned them 180 and the violence was less but the power was still there.
    I switched up to a plate style under carb unit and it settled the engine down as an intercooler would and the power was more manageable and I could add more if desired.
    The carb was in front of the blower so I believe iy was cooling the charge.

churchmouse

I still care....Really
    Emeritus
    Rating - 100%
    187   0   0
    Dec 7, 2011
    Speedway area
    People always advance.
    When I had the supercharged Harley with Nitrous I originally Had the jets in the intake clocked right at the valve. It was violent. Very violent.
    I turned them 180 and the violence was less but the power was still there.
    I switched up to a plate style under carb unit and it settled the engine down as an intercooler would and the power was more manageable and I could add more if desired.
    The carb was in front of the blower so I believe iy was cooling the charge.

This pic is before I went plate delivery system. You can see the top of the bottle on the far side of the seat. The carb in front of the blower (wet system) let the Nitrous sub cool the charge and could really step on it in that configuration. Before the engine became very violent. I like violent but it was ragged edge violent.
    With the plate the engine seemed to settle down and just put its head down and charge. Huge diff. Huge.

thunderchicken

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    5   0   0
    Feb 26, 2010
    Indianapolis
    This pic is before I went plate delivery system. You can see the top of the bottle on the far side of the seat. The carb in front of the blower (wet system) let the Nitrous sub cool the charge and could really step on it in that configuration. Before the engine became very violent. I like violent but it was ragged edge violent.
    With the plate the engine seemed to settle down and just put its head down and charge. Huge diff. Huge.

I have never been on a motorcycle but I can appreciate them just the same. That looks rather insnae. It had to be a crazy ride especially when she was at full boogie

churchmouse

I still care....Really
    Emeritus
    Rating - 100%
    187   0   0
    Dec 7, 2011
    Speedway area
    As bad as it is it would look better if the opening in front was full size and not just a mail slot

That was one of the advancements of the period. It was popular for a while. Then the Snorkel scoop cam along. I had one of those on my 70 Nova in 1977. It was the real deal.

This is my 70 Camaro. It was a real pro stock piece from the day. It was bought new in 1969 (late) went straight to the speed shop it ran out of and was made into this drag car. There were 2 of them. Thunder (1968 Camaro) and this one....Lightning. Both tunnel rammed small block stick cars. I saw then both run the Nationals at Indy in 70/71/72.....Look at the hood scoop. Very popular for the time.
    I never completed the car as I lost interest. The stroker I have torn down right now was built for this car.

churchmouse

I still care....Really
    Emeritus
    Rating - 100%
    187   0   0
    Dec 7, 2011
    Speedway area
    I have never been on a motorcycle but I can appreciate them just the same. That looks rather insnae. It had to be a crazy ride especially when she was at full boogie

Imagine a top fuel Harley on racing gas. Very intense and stupid fast.
    At sea level (Daytona Fla.) with the set to kill tune up on it the real wheel made 163 HP. On the motor. The Dyno operator would not let me turn on the Nitrous.
    Bike would go 10.70's on engine and 10:30's (spinning the tire in 2nd and 3rd gear shifts on the air shifter) and yes, you held on for dear life.

Throttle wheelies were easy.

femurphy77

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    30   0   0
    Mar 5, 2009
    S.E. of disorder

You'd have to be just south of INSANE to get on that thing!:runaway:

At sea level (Daytona Fla.) with the set to kill tune up on it the real wheel made 163 HP. On the motor. The Dyno operator would not let me turn on the Nitrous.
    Bike would go 10.70's on engine and 10:30's (spinning the tire in 2nd and 3rd gear shifts on the air shifter) and yes, you held on for dear life.

O.k., maybe closer to insane than I thought!:alcoholic:

churchmouse

I still care....Really
    Emeritus
    Rating - 100%
    187   0   0
    Dec 7, 2011
    Speedway area
    You'd have to be just south of INSANE to get on that thing!:runaway:

O.k., maybe closer to insane than I thought!:alcoholic:

This was my street bike. I put a couple thousand miles on it during riding season. Riding a 100 mile poker run was not out of the question. I would put 4 bottle's (quart oil bottles) full of Cam 2 in the saddle bags on the wifes scooter and add it to get home. No way in hell I could get 100 miles out of 5 gallons of fuel.

The Dyna Glide in the pic was the wifes. She absolutely refused to ride on the Springer after it was supercharged. Her bike was no punk trust me. Look at the header. Much more beyond that.

thunderchicken

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    5   0   0
    Feb 26, 2010
    Indianapolis
    That was one of the advancements of the period. It was popular for a while. Then the Snorkel scoop cam along. I had one of those on my 70 Nova in 1977. It was the real deal.

This is my 70 Camaro. It was a real pro stock piece from the day. It was bought new in 1969 (late) went straight to the speed shop it ran out of and was made into this drag car. There were 2 of them. Thunder (1968 Camaro) and this one....Lightning. Both tunnel rammed small block stick cars. I saw then both run the Nationals at Indy in 70/71/72.....Look at the hood scoop. Very popular for the time.
    I never completed the car as I lost interest. The stroker I have torn down right now was built for this car.

Even though the shape is very similar between what was on your car vs the yellow car....yours looked much better. The yellow car the opening was on the bottom and makes it look very awkward and misplaced to me. Too bad you lost interest in that build.. Woulda been fun

thunderchicken

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    5   0   0
    Feb 26, 2010
    Indianapolis

Yep you're CRAZY!

churchmouse

I still care....Really
    Emeritus
    Rating - 100%
    187   0   0
    Dec 7, 2011
    Speedway area
    Even though the shape is very similar between what was on your car vs the yellow car....yours looked much better. The yellow car the opening was on the bottom and makes it look very awkward and misplaced to me. Too bad you lost interest in that build.. Woulda been fun

We did race the car for a while when my buddy found and bought it out of a barn in Arizona. He used to own my Biscayne and he had the engine/trans from it so we put it in the Camaro. He ran it for 2 seasons and then I bought it from him to really finish it. He was not one to pay attention to details. The pic below was taken in the pits at IRP. He and another friend always pitted with us.
    The interior was done and up to modern spec (roll bars and bracket electronics) The rear was almost done with a good 3 bar to replace the old school bars designed for full throttle clutch side step launches.
    It had a narrowed Olds under it which was standard for the day. I had it all set up with a new spool and a 5.88 if memory serves.
    The last thing to do was repair the old glass doghouse. It was in poor shape and needed some serious love.
    Thing is, If I finished it I would have raced it. If I raced it I would have to work on it and to work on them costs money. It sat for 2 years. Buddy offered me a fair price for it sans engine. He took the built T-Brake 350 turbo and stall.
    I really do not have the desire anymore. I miss it. Terribly but life rolls on. I have this really neat 64 S/S that is getting a heart transplant from the Camaro.

Last edited:
    Status
    Not open for further replies.

Site Supporter

INGO Supporter

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members
    Latest member
    benw
    Top Bottom