Not open for further replies.

Bigtanker

Cuddles
    Emeritus
    Rating - 100%
    24   0   0
    Aug 21, 2012
    Osceola
    I had a teacher in tech school that said he had a th350 with a clutch instead of a torque converter. Variable Stall Speed converter was the term he used. If I remember right, this was done in the late 60's-70's. Anybody ever seen or know about one like that?

churchmouse

I still care....Really
    Emeritus
    Rating - 100%
    187   0   0
    Dec 7, 2011
    Speedway area
    I had a teacher in tech school that said he had a th350 with a clutch instead of a torque converter. Variable Stall Speed converter was the term he used. If I remember right, this was done in the late 60's-70's. Anybody ever seen or know about one like that?

I never saw a T-350 with a clutch but they did do this with the torque flite Trans. They called these "Clutch Flites". It was seriously hard on the sprag's and was not developed fully. This was the precursor to developing the high speed stall we are familiar with today.

I believe your teacher was full of "Poo"

Bigtanker

Cuddles
    Emeritus
    Rating - 100%
    24   0   0
    Aug 21, 2012
    Osceola
    I never saw a T-350 with a clutch but they did do this with the torque flite Trans. They called these "Clutch Flites". It was seriously hard on the sprag's and was not developed fully. This was the precursor to developing the high speed stall we are familiar with today.

I believe your teacher was full of "Poo"

It might have been torque flight. It's been more than 20 years since the conversation.

The teacher was in his 50's then. He had an album of him and his dad working on and racing at Bunker Hill, probably in the late 60's maybe. They had a 56 Chevy. I remember it was white with red stripes.

churchmouse

I still care....Really
    Emeritus
    Rating - 100%
    187   0   0
    Dec 7, 2011
    Speedway area
    It might have been torque flight. It's been more than 20 years since the conversation.

The teacher was in his 50's then. He had an album of him and his dad working on and racing at Bunker Hill, probably in the late 60's maybe. They had a 56 Chevy. I remember it was white with red stripes.

That was the Mopar paint scheme of the day.
    Other guys used it as well.

The early Turbo's might not have supported the impact from a clutch.

Bosshoss

Master
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    19   0   0
    Dec 11, 2009
    MADISON
    Gm had switch pitch converters in the 60's. I rebuilt a few of the Trans that had them. Had a internal electrical switch that changed the stall speed. Most of them I wired a switch on the dash and made them full manual.
    Worked OK IIRC stall switched from 1300 to 2600 depending on application.
    I think these were only used in BOP or at least I never saw or heard of a Chevy with one.

thunderchicken

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    5   0   0
    Feb 26, 2010
    Indianapolis
    I'm not a transmission man, but there used to some heads up true street classes that had a rule "no clutchless transmissions" some of those guys had such set ups.
    Banging gears on the street is fun but it can get old in stop & go traffic. As much as it tastes lile vinegar coming out of my mouth, on the strip all I want is either a powerglide or turbo 400. Now IF I was going to row gears it would have to be either a Brunno Lenco or Liberty set up. But then you gotta fiddle fart with clutch set ups all the time and that my friends seems too much like work to me. I like just cooling off the converter and it's ready to go again

long coat

Master
    Rating - 100%
    15   0   0
    Jun 6, 2010
    Avon
    [video=youtube_share;lKf_ZGmPjB4]http://youtu.be/lKf_ZGmPjB4[/video]

How do you get the video to show up, I've never gotten it to work?

Thanks Bigtanker.

Last edited:

churchmouse

I still care....Really
    Emeritus
    Rating - 100%
    187   0   0
    Dec 7, 2011
    Speedway area
    Gm had switch pitch converters in the 60's. I rebuilt a few of the Trans that had them. Had a internal electrical switch that changed the stall speed. Most of them I wired a switch on the dash and made them full manual.
    Worked OK IIRC stall switched from 1300 to 2600 depending on application.
    I think these were only used in BOP or at least I never saw or heard of a Chevy with one.

I remember talk of those. The BOP guts are identical to the chev. units just the flange bolt pattern is diff.

Status
    Not open for further replies.
    Top Bottom